Write protected USB drive

Betts1964

Hi,

I am not sure how my USB flash drive received a write protected status as there is no locking switch that i can see, tried formating the drive via windows 10 format and Aesus formatting software and neither worked. Does anyone know of a sure way to format a usb flash drive? If yes, plz let me know.

TIA

Its not unknown for a partial hardware failure to make a USB thumb drive write protected or are you talking about spinning rust?

It means the flash chip error, so fix it using some tool or buy a new one. Nowdays most usb flash driver use TLC or QLC chip, P/E cycle is very low.

coco_jambo

Hey,
you could try booting up a live Linux distro (for e.g. Ubuntu) and use GParted from there.

Maybe GParted will be able to format it

For creating a bootable Usb Drive i recommend Rufus (but keep in mind that the Usb used for this will be erased)

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time USB pendrive with "write protected error" means that we should throw it away to garbage. Probably we will waste more time trying to recover it than going to a shop to buy a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
ilcorsaro73
On 6/13/2021 at 3:26 PM, kapciu75 said:

Most of the time USB pendrive with "write protected error" means that we should throw it away to garbage. Probably we will waste more time trying to recover it than going to a shop to buy a new one.

I confirm from experience when windows tells you that the key is write protected, it is to be thrown away, however, try this method first
To solve this, it was enough to create a new registry key, apply it and restart. I don't know if it would have worked with the keys sent back, but I write the solution below.
Open notepad, paste the following text

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ StorageDevicePolicies]
"WriteProtect" = dword: 00000000

File-> Save As->
When choosing "file type" choose all, save with the final name ".reg" wherever you prefer. Once saved, double click on the file you just saved, accept everything and restart. It should work