The world's most unlikely nature reserve: Wildlife is thriving in Chernobyl

mood

The world's most unlikely nature reserve: Wildlife is thriving in Chernobyl

800x450_cmsv2_78cef6a3-3da9-5c95-bf89-3d

Przewalski’s horses in Chernobyl.   -   Copyright  AFP

In the absence of humans, the region around Chernobyl is being reclaimed by nature.

35 years ago a total of 350,000 people were evacuated from the territory after one of humanity's worst nuclear disasters.

Ukrainian authorities say the area may not be fit for humans for another 24,000 years. Today, however, it serves as one of the most unlikely nature reserves. Among the Chernobyl exclusion zone, endangered animals thrive, including the stunning Przewalski’s horses.

For many decades they were considered the last truly wild horse in the world. In the 1970s they were almost rendered extinct in the wild, but a captive breeding program managed to rescue the species from extinction.

Today, several hundred live in the wild in the steppes of Asia and in Europe, but there's also a steadily growing population - to the surprise of many - in Chernobyl.

Source: The world's most unlikely nature reserve: Wildlife is thriving in Chernobyl

• Like 2

Soon we shall see the Russian version of Godzilla.  While the Japanese version exhaled fire, I am hoping the Russian Godzilla will spit Vodka!

• Haha 3

SouthernStar

Paints a picture of Normality!

Dig Deeper and i bet the story is much different?, 

When they open a Starbucks, i will believe it's safe..........lol

Edited by SouthernStar

• Matrix locked this topic