HDD question

Gerry85

Hi there!

I don't know,what's the difference between HGST Ultrastar and W.D. Ultrastar (same capacity).

Any idea?

I'm looking for a home data storage (in external enclosure) HDD 4-6 TB capacity,what would you recommend?

Which one is the best (same capacity):WD Ultrastar,or HGST Ultrastar,or WD Black Edition,or WD Gold Edition?

Thank you!

gandalf44
On 5/5/2021 at 6:55 AM, Gerry85 said:

Hi there!

I don't know,what's the difference between HGST Ultrastar and W.D. Ultrastar (same capacity).

IBM originated the Ultrastar brand.  IBM sold it to Hitachi.  HGST stands for Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.  Western Digital acquired HGST in 2012.  So. WD now owns the Ultrastar brand. 

For years, Ultrastar came out tops in terms of lowest failure rates for their drives.  But, since WD has owned it for almost 10 years, there no longer appear to be any differences.

The WD Gold Series was designed for Data Centers, Bulk Cold Storage solutions and High Capacity Workloads.  I use WD Black drives in some of my systems.

• Administrator

Topic moved to Technology Talk. All hardware related discussions need to be posted here.

Would be damaged a NAS HD if it would be switched on and off many times  per day?

For example a WD Red Pro NAS drive in an external HD enclosure would be most of the time off (without network),but I'd  save some videos on it few times per day.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 11:54 PM, oldwolf said:

HGST has been abandoned by WD, so the brand is WD now, WD Gold Edition is better.

I bought a 10 TB WD Gold,but after 1 hour of power on it's temp. is already 47 C grade,without active cooling,just passive cooling (the Al enclosure).I know it's op. temp. is 5-60 C grade,but my laptop's SSD and HDD temp. are 31 and 37 C grade.

So,after 1 hour I switch off the enclosure.I'll try the enlosure between ice batteries,hopefully they'll cool down the enclosure.