Win. 10 network speed issue

Gerry85

Hi  there!

I'm using Win. 10 (v. 1909),and the network adapter is Qualcomm Atheros AR 8151 PCI-E Gigabit Network Controller (NDIS 6.30).

At the properties of the network card (Speed&Duplex) shows for max.  speed 100 Mbps,not showing 1 Gbps option.

The internet modem is Technicolor TC 7200,and is connected to my laptop with CAT 5e (100 MHz) cable.

The highest int. speed I'm getting is 90/10 Mbps.

Any idea how to get the 1 Gbps option? 

Thank you!

Edited by Gerry85

• Replies 3
  • Views 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry85

• coco_jambo

• flyg

I found a description of AR 8151,however ain't sure that is the Qualcomm's,or not.

I don't wanna take apart the laptop to check the physical appearance of it.

http://hi-tek.com.ua/datasheets/anteros/ar8151.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
coco_jambo

Hi there,

according to the AR 8151 datasheet you provided, the adapter seems to support the 802.3az standard which is some sort of energy efficiency option (see datasheet: "Fully IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)")

I did only find this screenshot of those adapter settings but maybe you also have the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" Option which can be disabled it? - or try looking for an "802.3az" Option in those adapter settings/properties

Maybe you will get GBit Speed after disabling this Energy option and setting the speed&duplex option to "Auto-Negotiate"

Also check your cable for having 4 Pairs, that means 8 wires in total, as shown here
If there are only 4 wires, you cannot get GBit using this cable
Additionally you could try using a different cable?

Your Technicolor Modem seems to have 4 Gigabit Ports; Maybe you could also check its settings for some Energy Saver Settings?

If you want to find out more about the hardware adapter in your device you could try googling the hardware id the ethernet card has (you can get the hardware id on the details tab of the driver/device in the device manager of windows, see here)

Furthermore you could try booting a linux live distro, just to check whether linux is able to get gbit speed

would love to hear from you, whether you resolved the issue :)

Edited by coco_jambo
added another idea