Photoshop Question

Marik

How the hell do you turn something like this

2qa6yx5.png

Into something like this

2mx49sp.jpg

Me with my nearly 3 days in photoshoping only managed to get this (ok, it's a dif page, but you get the point)

358ni3q.png

Is there anybody here with the skills it would take to turn a manga page into a page like the one specified?

If so, I would love to hear....how?!?

• Replies 6
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have a few questions first.. are you sure that the pages form the original is actually the black and white? Secondly, did you try replacing areas with specific colors, with very low tolerances? Third add additional lighting and shadowing where necessary... I have seen these actually come from line drawings.. and even the black and white a rendering from a full color .. so it could just be the wrong medium to be working from..

There are also other tools of the trade like DigiPens..and other professional rack systems that can be used.. There is also the fact that this can be done in a real world/versus digital setting.. and scanned in...The animation process and capturing process can take on several different forms..so it could be the tools available to you as well.. I think you could do it... but for one frame, I don't think you would want to go about it in this manner.. unless of course you had it all automated...

EDIT: Overlays and layers are also important.. did you notice the eyebrow is on top of his hair in the second one? LOL..

EDIT2: If someone says they PS'ed something .. don't always believe it.. So many resources available out there.. LOL

I just want mine to have a similar effect...thing is, I've got the coloring down...but the effects...I just don't know where to start

I can't seem to find any good tut that would better explain how to make a boring manga page, into a colored shiny one...that's what I'm after

I don't know anything about lighting and cell shading. Like I said, I'm only 3 days into this stuff.

Anybody with a psd of something like this around? f3timg.png

edit: nope, didn't notice the eyebrow part haha f3timg.png

• Administrator

It looks like there is an overlay over the actual image. The overlay has atleast a plastic wrap filter aswell as another one i cannot remember the name of.

I'm though inclined to say like heath... its not the same image :P

Going with Lite and heath. It's impossible to recreate the second image from the first without manually redoing the whole image...

@Marik:

I think the first picture was printed, then colored / painted manually or by hand.

Then they scanned the product, and did the finishing touches with an image editor.

Or most prob the guys used a pen and did a lineart of it, then painted it...and used layers like Lite said

that kind of pen doesn't even cost much anyways...so that's prob it, but you're theory also works :yes:

Archived