How to convert to .pdf a long skinny .jpg file

Archimede

Hello :)

I often have such a situation (see below) and I wonder which program should be used to easily achieve that.

I have a very long skinny .jpg file (it's a scrolled long screenshot 1200 × 32000 pixels with text on it) that I would like to convert to a multi-page .pdf file. Preferably, actually to a single page .pdf file (with initial View magnification set to "Fit Width") so that upon opening the created .pdf file, the first segment of the text would be immediately readable (without having to zoom) and to read the rest of the text, one would simply have to scroll down.

Thanks in advance for any creative suggestion :)

Edited by Archimede

@Archimede

Greeting old fried. 

I created  1200X32000 jpg. Try this :

Open jpg in MS  Edge browser . Now print using  " Microsoft print to PDF "  It gave me an 11 page PDF file just like the jpg. Then using the " Adobe PDF "  a 16 page PDF.

That is one quick fix. I will look around and see if I can find a way or something to do it and make a LONG  single page. 

I will be back ! ! !

stay safe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You may explore these two options to see if  it gives you the desired results:

Adding to what has been suggested by flash13

a) Install SingleFile  Web Browser extension,  to generate a single html file.

You may either use this single html file for reading purpose or convert to PDF

SingleFile is a Web Extension

https://github.com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFile

b) FastStone Capture

Open the jpg in FS Capture
Ctrl+G [under Tools Option]

@Archimede @flash13

I confirm the use of Faststone Capture (v 9.4), as said by @black1 is working well for what you want to do.

Press the "Convert to PDF" button, click "Add", eventually modify the PDF options (if needed) and the press the "Convert button ... that's it !

I just tested with 1 long picture (949x2924 px) and it give me a pdf file with 3 pages, exactly what I expected !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@dee.pee @black1 @flash13

THANKS, friends :)

I tested Faststone Capture (v 9.4) and it works VERY nicely! It splits pages very efficiently and it even numbers them if so configured!

Also please try this gem: i2pdf (image to pdf) http://freeshell.de/~luis/i2pdf/index.php

With it I managed to make a "paperless" pdf (1 single scrollable page)... Sadly with a very long screenshot it does not seem to quite make it (YMMV) ;)

I have not yet found an airtight solution to make 1 single scrollable page but I am confident that soon I will... For the time being Faststone Capture is my favorite!

Thanks to you all :D

Edited by Archimede

• 1 month later...

Hello friends :)

As it often happens in life, the solution to our problems is right there in plain sight :D

FastStone Image Viewer has the option to save any image to pdf (I honestly did not know that despite I happily use FastStone Image Viewer since a few years)... And the saved pdf file is a perfectly scrollable 1 page file that opens to page width... Exactly what I was looking for :)

IMHO this is definitely the best and quickest solution to convert a long skinny .jpg file (a scrolled thin and very long screenshot in my case) into a (scrollable 1 page) pdf file.

Greetings to you all and thanks once again for your kind contribution :)

Edited by Archimede