Win. 10 external mass storage (USB) issue

Gerry85

Hi there!

When I tried to open the external HD's drive,it showed "Location is not available,L:\ is not accessible,The device is not ready".

I tried to change ownership of the drive ( current owner:SYSTEM),but showed "Access is denied".

When I tried to eject the drive,showed: "The device is currently in use.Close any programs or windows that might be using the device,and then try again".

Any idea how to fix this issue?

Thank you!

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry85

• flyg

• TrojanK

• wolfie

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the file format is not windows compatible. 

type in disk manager into start box and launch disk management.

Try and find your drive in the list based on the size and possibly drive letter - it should show the format type - if it says raw its either not windows formatted, has a problem or is encrypted.

If you don't care about the data it might be worth just formatting the drive over again as ntfs - you can do this right clicking on the drive in disk manager.

Edited by flyg
typo

The external HD has 1.2 TB data on it,and I don't have another HD to save the data to it,and I'm not 100 % sure,that recovery programs will recover the 1.2 TB data after formatting.

2 hours ago, Gerry85 said:

Hi there!

When I tried to open the external HD's drive,it showed "Location is not available,L:\ is not accessible,The device is not ready".

I tried to change ownership of the drive ( current owner:SYSTEM),but showed "Access is denied".

When I tried to eject the drive,showed: "The device is currently in use.Close any programs or windows that might be using the device,and then try again".

Any idea how to fix this issue?

Hi!

Did you try restarting your computer?

Since the file system is now raw when previously it was NTFS you looking at having to recover the partition before trying to get back any data.

Some free partition recovery programs are

EaseUS Partition Recovery - Easy Partition Recovery Software to Get Lost/Deleted Partitions Back! - EaseUS Partition Recovery

Minitool Partition Wizard Free - Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

Testdisk - TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

If they recover the partition you can then go from there with tools like recuva - Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free! (ccleaner.com)

Unless of course a reboot makes it work...

I've installed EaseUS Partition Master Tech. Ed. and Disk Genius Pro.

ASC's Disk Doctor couldn't find any problems,but Disk Genius found the bad sectors.I figured out too late,that WiseCare365 interfeared to the repairing of the bad sectors.I'll run again the Disk Genius to fix the bad sectors.

• 2 weeks later...