Zoom Background Blur - CPU workaround needed

JohnMarston

JohnMarston

Hi there.. I need help with finding a way for Zoom to think my CPU is good enough for Background Blur.. apparently my CPU is not supported for this basic function (although it works on other software such as Teams or Meet just fine).

My laptop has an AMD FX 7500 Radeon R7 with 10 compute cores.. 4 CPU and 6 GPU.

And I have 16GB of Ram and 860EVO SSD... Sure my laptop is a bit older, but I find it hard to believe that I can run the latest Photoshop, but not a Zoom Blurred background!?

Is there maybe a registry hack I can apply? Or what kind of creative solution can you suggest?

Thanks.. It will be really helpful.

Edit: In the meantime I have tried other software such as manycam, and it does blur, but of course the more software needed and used, the slower and more choppy the video becomes.

• JohnMarston changed the title to Zoom Background Blur - CPU workaround needed
  • Replies 3
  • Views 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That could be really helpful. It's not about raw power, but rather hardware support. My ugly 7th gen i3 T processor is supported, while my old i7 2600 with a discrete but old GPU, AMD R9 270X cannot use it....

JohnMarston

Thanks for adding to the thread!

What my idea is, is to find a way (if it is not simply a registry hack) to Mod or create a patch for Zoom so it identifies the CPU as one that is compatible with these functions.. but my limited programming knowledge does not quite suffice to figure that out myself.

Of course such a mod would need to be tested, since it could very well be that Zoom requires CPUs with a certain instruction set or other technical requirements, and not just sufficient cores or clock speed!?

So yeah, let's continue the discussion and I'm keen to learn what the expert modders here could figure out.

Out of curiosity, do you have Linux installed to test if it isn't perhaps just the Windows OS and version that restrict these features?

I haven't tried that myself, but can perhaps try a live usb version of Ubuntu and check.

I'm more inclined towards the requirement of certain instruction set, I don't think it's related to the OS.. but a test doesn't hurt. I'm on windows too though, so didn't test

Archived