Bad BIOS flash?

box

Hi all,

I recently flashed a BIOS on a Biostar P4M800-M7 Ver. 1.0 and now the computer is dead (no boot, no POST, no beep, nothing, nada). Initially, I tried to flash the BIOS using the Biostar flashing software with the P4M800-M7 Ver. 1.0 latest firmware. The software said that the firmware I was using was incorrect. So I got another one P4M800 Pro-M7 Ver. 1.x/7.x. Everything went well without any error. After a reboot, nada! (Now I know what it feels like.)

Any way to recover from a bad flash. I have tried to clear the CMOS via the manual but nada! I hate Biostar with a passion (like a woman scorned). :angry:

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was a bad flash, say goodbye to the motherboard. I'm a PC tecnician and I always take care while doing that. Maybe a post PCI card helps (mother test card)

• Administrator

Well yea you may say it's gone forever. Still you can try and call professional services and see. But it would be more easier to get a new MOBO.

BTW you have the same model as mine atm, just a different manufacturer. :P

Hi all,

I recently flashed a BIOS on a Biostar P4M800-M7 Ver. 1.0 and now the computer is dead (no boot, no POST, no beep, nothing, nada). Initially, I tried to flash the BIOS using the Biostar flashing software with the P4M800-M7 Ver. 1.0 latest firmware. The software said that the firmware I was using was incorrect. So I got another one P4M800 Pro-M7 Ver. 1.x/7.x. Everything went well without any error. After a reboot, nada! (Now I know what it feels like.)

Any way to recover from a bad flash. I have tried to clear the CMOS via the manual but nada! I hate Biostar with a passion (like a woman scorned). :angry:

Award, AMI, or Phoenix BIOS? Here is one of my favourite source for BIOS recovery. Works for almost everything, except in the case where you need to buy a new BIOS chip, lol.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2105-BIOS-Recovery-procedures

If you have to buy a new BIOS chip go here:

http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html

Best of luck. You should never flash BIOS from windows though, no matter what tool they give you. The reason is because Windows can multitask and BIOS flashing can fail. I always recommend flashing from DOS bootable usb drive or bootable cd/floppy. The best and safest way is through the BIOS builtin flashing tool, most new boards have this feature where you press a key at boot to enter the flashing utility.

What I was going to suggest was to get the correct flash utility.. to use from USB or Floppy.. Then boot from it.. and try it that way... I would go back and use the one recommenced at the site if possible.. but before that I would look on the board and try to make sure it is what you think it is.. I would also make sure no mods have been done.. but I thik all of that has been covered anyways..

Is possible to recover sometimes. That happened to me once. I couldn`t make it to work, but a PC Professional Technician did it ...can`t tell you how . Also don`t remember ( got several computers sense then ) which mark was my motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking better, if you already cleared CMOS and Computer does not give signal, then probably motherboard is dead and I guess you need another one.

Cheers

OK,

I took it to the a computer repair shop. The real one with parts for everything. I told the receptionist what happened. (I don't think she has a clue.) Any how, the tech said he can't repair it. Anyhow, the policy was no fix no pay. So I got me a used Asrock 775i65GV for $29 USD. (I was desperate.) Flashed the BIOS via DOS this time and no issue. I always flash via DOS. I knew better than to use the Windows flashing program from the Biostar website (piece of shit!).

Installed Win7 okey. However, I can't install Rollback Rx or Comodo Time Machine. After a reboot, in get a memory test ABC134???? I have to figure out what is going on here. Thanks all for the advices.

Archived