Fraunhofer vs Lame encode

BTJB

Hi guys. I am trying to find explain myself, but no luck. I found one same MP3 record with different encoding and different quality shared in the web. I checked the spectrogram but there is a mess. Because I found one result of Lame equivalent typically for Fraunhofer and it is constant quality. But maybe because Fraunhofer was used before and then re-encoded with Lame 3.100 - seems Fraunhofer was original source. Still not know, because my Spectrogram test show differences between these two encoders. Lets talk first about this record which was similar to Fraunhofer and actually encoded with Lame. It sound more clean and more distortion. Drum beat is a very little muted, but I tried to reproduce the same quality from original CD with graphic eqуalizer editing, and without luck. I am afraid that record sounds more clean from Speakers, but from Headphones CD quality sounds better. Any way. Here I will show you the difference in encoding from original CD to MP3 320 kbps for both encoders. As you see Fraunhofer has some kind of cut limitation, but still up high values. Very specific for Fraunhofer. My record with Lame similar to Fraunhofer has same characteristic. Any way I am trying to find the differences. And hope somebody to explain which one spectrogram is better? What about this limit in Fraunhofer. Is it for good to cut off unnecessary sound?

CD2-Fh-GMP3.png

CD2-Lame-MP3.png

And here is just one comparison of record re-encoded from 128 kbps MP3 to 128 kbps MP3.
I found more empty space for Lame encoder.
Amplitude result is here.

• Replies 1
  • Views 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually during my investigation I stumbled upon some annoying properties of Fraunhofer’s MP3 encoder. It seems that even with cutoff filter disabled (or set to 22kHz), the 320kb/s file (from the same original source as the image above) is somewhat filtered. Source

Archived