Boot Recovery Disk Via USB

ThE iNsAnE

Hello Nsaners!!

I have this old Vaio Laptop which came with Windows 7. Now Vaio Laptops come with recovery partition containing the recovery media. I had created a external recovery media using the inbuilt Vaio tools. It was burned onto 3 DVD numbered 1, 2 and 3 respectively. It contains the OS with OEM license and drivers.

Now Vaio recovery can run off of the recovery partition without any other external device. However I had formatted the recovery partition after creating the DVDs to gain some space.

During recovery I can boot from DVD 1 and it will copy some files and later ask to insert DVD 2 and followed by DVD 3. Off late, the DVD drive has malfunctioned. I have the DVDs in proper condition. 

However, as the DVD drive is gone for good, I created ISO of the recovery disks in another PC.

My question is, is it possible for me to use those recovery ISOs to recover the original laptop via a USB?

I tried searching the internet but could not find any solution that was helpful.

Regards

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would make a pendrive with Ventoy, copy the ISOs to it and boot the first one, hoping that the other two can be read anyway

regards

Hi

Try this

Make USB boot copy of DVD1 using RUFUS

then copy DVD2 & DVD3 contents into USB

Try. it may work.

Hi, you can create a bootable pen drive from ISO using diskpart.exe tool. Let me knoow if you need more details on diskpart commands.

22 hours ago, neofita said:

I would make a pendrive with Ventoy, copy the ISOs to it and boot the first one, hoping that the other two can be read anyway

regards

Tried the same. Disk 1 booted just fine. Setup could not read Disk 2 or 3. Tried putting just disk 2 in another usb still didn't work.

20 hours ago, SiNAN said:

Hi

Try this

Make USB boot copy of DVD1 using RUFUS

then copy DVD2 & DVD3 contents into USB

Try. it may work.

Tried. Booting the Disk 1 also was giving errors with Rufus. However, disk 1 booted just fine with Ventoy.

Ok so after a lot of experimentation, i finally got it working. It was a hit and trial method.

Maybe it might be useful for someone trying the same.

1. Booted disk 1 with ventoy. The disk 1 booted just fine. The setup formatted the hard drive and started copying the files.

2. Got stuck on the message "Insert disk 2". Nothing worked so laptop was shut down.

3. Booted macrium reflect WinPE to analyze the formatted hard drive. The hard drive was formatted with a recovery partition (13 GB), system reserved (100 mb) and C drive ( remaining disk space). The recovery partition contents were similar to disk 1 with some addition files that the setup left. The "data" folder in the recovery partition was similar to that of disk 1.

4. Took another USB, copied the data folder from disk 2 and disk 3 into it and copied the data folder to the recovery partition within macrium WinPE interface itself.

5. Booted the computer from the "Assist" button provided by Vaio that restores the PC from the recovery partition.

6. Voila!! The laptop booted from the recovery partition and copied the contents of the setup just fine and the recovery process completed just as it should have been had the recovery partition not been formatted in the first place.

Regards

Archived