PC restarts instead of shut down (turn off)

kapciu75

Guys, my PC restarts right after I choose to shut down from W10 start menu. It happens randomly from time to time. Not always.

In old Windows 10 builds there was hidden option in Windows Power Management to turn off PC after shutting down. In new builds it is not there.  I already did "powercfg -h off" under CMD. I have disabled Hibernation state option.

I have  disabled Fast Boot in GA-H87-HD3 dual BIOS.

I have the latest and final BIOS. There is no updates anymore for this motherboard.

At the BIOS/Power Management all settings are set correctly I suppose:

AC Back: Off Power on by Keyboard: Disable

Power on by Mouse: Disable

Any ideas?

Do you think the PSU is broken? Should I replace the PSU?

Edited by kapciu75

try to disable Fast Boot in Windows (control panel>energy saving options)

Dear all,

Tkank you for all the advices. Give me few days I will report you if it helped.

Edited by kapciu75

I had same problem once and turns out, it was the faulty Corsair Power Supply. But before that try these things first

• Reset your BIOS and see if still same issue.
  • Sometimes, windows file corruption can also cause shutdown failure. Run sfc /scannow in powershell or cmd as administrator.
  • Unplug and replug all cables coming out of your PSU. It might be a simple case of loose connection.
  • Finally if possible, get or borrow a known working PSU and see if your system shuts down correctly.

Shutdown issues are 99% related to faulty PSU.

"It happens randomly from time to time. Not always."

How randomly is it? Once in a while or often?

What about using a live OS instead of the installed w10? Do you still have random restarts?

• Like 1

Do you use Windows 10 via Microsoft account? Have you deleted original account and changed to local (offline) account with administrator rights? I don't know why I asked these questions. Maybe this time asking is more fun than answering. 🥵

On 3/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, d5aqoep said:

I had same problem once and turns out, it was the faulty Corsair Power Supply. But before that try these things first

• Reset your BIOS and see if still same issue.
  • Sometimes, windows file corruption can also cause shutdown failure. Run sfc /scannow in powershell or cmd as administrator.
  • Unplug and replug all cables coming out of your PSU. It might be a simple case of loose connection.
  • Finally if possible, get or borrow a known working PSU and see if your system shuts down correctly.

Shutdown issues are 99% related to faulty PSU.

I have reseted BIOS. I have removed the mobo battery for 20 minutes. 

I will definetly try to unplug and plug back again all cables. 

Last thing is not easy. I don't have anybody with extra PSU (to borrow from).

17 hours ago, mp68terr said:

"It happens randomly from time to time. Not always."

How randomly is it? Once in a while or often?

What about using a live OS instead of the installed w10? Do you still have random restarts?

It's happening once a week/twice a week (with everyday PC use). It's my dad's PC so I do not know how it exactly looks. There is only dad's report right after or few days after.

I have checked W10 event vierwer in aministration tools unit of his PC and didn't find anything unusual there.

I will keep watching my PC using your advices and report you how it changed or ended.

@neofitaI have disabled Fast Boot in Windows and BIOS right after I have noticed the problem. That was first thing that might be connected with the issue. Did not solve the problem at all.

Edited by kapciu75

Could be a corrupted Windows Update module.

Try to reset Windows Update completely per instructions for your OS.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have not noticed new restarts instead of shut down after unchecking "Automatically restart" in Startup And Recovery.
So far so good. Ma dad didn't report new restarts. I will ask my dad to monitor what's gonna happen and report me in case of unexpected things happen.

• 8 months later...

Guys it is happening again. Random restarts after shutdown. I think I will replace the PSU. Somebody told me to test the power botton so I decided to switch my reset button into power button. It didn't change a thing.

There may be two things causing this I think. PSU or motherboard. Somebody mentioned RAM chips.

Israeli_Eagle

Hmmm... Maybe it could also be a totally different source:

Disable all 'Wake on..." options (Wake on Link Settings, Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Pattern Match) in your network driver!!
Also disable "Power On By Ring" option in BIOS.  :coolwink:

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

PSU replaced. I have bought Seasonic Focus GX-650. The problem persists. Random restarts instead of PC shut down. There is nothing unusual in Windows 11 Event Viewer.

201210145357.jpg

have you created a second user account/profile and tried the shutdown feature from there?

you can always try shutting down from command prompt type this into CMD - Shutdown –s –f

the -s is the shutdown

the -f is the kill all apps running

Edited by Sonar

• Administrator

If it is random restarts then I feel it has to be a hardware fault there. Sometimes bad power plugs - from outside the computer to inside it, can cause a problem too.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:36 AM, kapciu75 said:

Guys it is happening again. Random restarts after shutdown. I think I will replace the PSU. Somebody told me to test the power botton so I decided to switch my reset button into power button. It didn't change a thing.

There may be two things causing this I think. PSU or motherboard. Somebody mentioned RAM chips.

mobo may have faulty swollen caps, maybe not

Just remove all the components from the chassis and assemble it on a table top with insulation, and power ON  

You can check RAM with memtest86

• 3 months later...