Windows 8 clock issue!

ThE iNsAnE

Hello everyone,

So I have this laptop which was running Windows 8 for quite sometime. It was my main OS and was running absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever. 

I have been using Macrium Reflect for many years now and I have images on the same PC for various OS's

Now recently I made an image of the Windows 8 and verified the image too. Changed the OS for some experiments and later wanted to switch back to my Windows 8.

The image restored just fine. System booted flawlessly.

Everything is working absolutely fine but I have noticed a strange issue with the clock which was not there at the time of making the image.

Whenever I power on the laptop, the clock time of my region is wrong. The time it shows is the UTC but my regional time should be UTC + 5.30. 

If I sync my time with the internet provided time, the time corrects itself but after sometime, it again starts giving UTC. The time zone remains as UTC + 5.30 but the time changes to UTC.

Then again I sync the time with the internet and it corrects itself and the cycle continues. Also, after restarting, the time zone remains as UTC + 5.30 but the time displayed is UTC.

My time zone settings, regional, Locale and language settings are correct.

First I thought it may be CMOS battery, but the battery is fine. Time in the BIOS is always correct. Time in other OS's are also correct.

The issue is just with this particular install of Windows 8 on the same system which was not there earlier but is happening after restoring the macrium image.

Any solution for this as I really don't want to lose this image.

Regards

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haris_sane69

Same thing happened to me, you need to manually reset the time from BIOS setup 

HAPPY COMPUTING

25 minutes ago, haris_sane69 said:

Same thing happened to me, you need to manually reset the time from BIOS setup 

HAPPY COMPUTING

Ok...and how do I do that? The time in BIOS is always correct in my case.

haris_sane69

strange in my case bios time also showing incorrect value & I entered in bios setup by pressing F12 & manually changed hr/min/sec

1 hour ago, haris_sane69 said:

strange in my case bios time also showing incorrect value & I entered in bios setup by pressing F12 & manually changed hr/min/sec

In my case, bios time is correct. win 10, win 7 all work fine with correct time synced with bios time. Doesn't even need internet for setting time. Problem is with win 8 only.

try to restart the W32Time service and that it is set in Automatic Startup

regards

3 hours ago, neofita said:

try to restart the W32Time service and that it is set in Automatic Startup

regards

Did. Still no luck!

My friend asked help with double-boot Windows 10/Linux Mint. After every Mint boot clock have changed several hours for next Windows use. Windows didn't automatically fix time, so we need to change time server and update time without using VPN. Weird... 🤪

7 hours ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Tried everything. Didn't help.

Sorry to hear that. I can't help you more with that, my first thought was to set up the clock on the bios to solve this issue but you said that the clock on the bios was correct.

I think that this clock issue was caused by a not adjusted clock before the image has been created which can logically explain why the clock is not correct after restoring the image. I don't see any other reason.

I hope you will fix this issue and i will be curious to know what solution solved it.

Good luck.

as @erp-ster0 said I would try a repair-install (rewrite the system files without losing anything)

regards

16 hours ago, Radpop said:

My friend asked help with double-boot Windows 10/Linux Mint. After every Mint boot clock have changed several hours for next Windows use. Windows didn't automatically fix time, so we need to change time server and update time without using VPN. Weird... 🤪

This is a known issue in windows/linux dual boot systems. There is a registry fix available. Search and you will get the solution.

15 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

Sorry to hear that. I can't help you more with that, my first thought was to set up the clock on the bios to solve this issue but you said that the clock on the bios was correct.

I think that this clock issue was caused by a not adjusted clock before the image has been created which can logically explain why the clock is not correct after restoring the image. I don't see any other reason.

I hope you will fix this issue and i will be curious to know what solution solved it.

Good luck.

I tried everything sir. Except the fresh install/ repair install.

Before making the macrium image, there was no clock issue. The issue started only after restoring that particular image.  I have images for other OS as well. Those are perfect. No clock issue. Maybe this particular image has some corrupt files.

3 hours ago, neofita said:

as @erp-ster0 said I would try a repair-install (rewrite the system files without losing anything)

regards

Thats the last resort. However, I was curious as to why the damn thing won't correct itself and as to why it is happening.

1 hour ago, wolfie said:

@Radpop I use a tiny little freeware app called neutron to force Windows to check/reset time on every startup. Works flawlessly.

http://keir.net/software.html

This seems to be a nice tool. However, computer will always have to be connected to the internet to sync time at startup. Windows inbuilt task scheduler can also be used to create a task of syncing the time during every boot. 

3 hours ago, wolfie said:

@Radpop I use a tiny little freeware app called neutron to force Windows to check/reset time on every startup. Works flawlessly.

http://keir.net/software.html

One part of the problem is that vpn kill switch is on when pc starts and there is no internet connection before vpn connects.  Also I can't rely windows time server if vpn is on, nist is better.

Sounds like you need to fix the problem in the linux installation because that's causing the problem, not Windows.

37 minutes ago, wolfie said:

Sounds like you need to fix the problem in the linux installation because that's causing the problem, not Windows.

Yes, Linux does the problem in the first case, but I'm talking of two different laptops, and the second one does not have Linux installed. 😇 In Windows vpn firewall can live over boots and then only vpn can get first connection until kill switch is released. But I can update time manually with or without vpn if I use nist server.

Archived