Is uBlock Origin trashing your SSD ?

hothotprouser

hothotprouser

I myself use uBlock Origin but after i read this article about SSD trashing by uBlock Origin versus AdGuard i start to check it out by myself and is not a lie.

uBlock Origin, well the databases that are using in my 1'st pc are 46 mb, in my second pc are over 36 mb and in my third pc are 84 mb ! and on my fourth pc are over 56 mb !

WTF. I checked with some friends about it and they report the high size databases! To clarify windows 10 64 bits, chrome 64 bits, minimum ram 16 gb the lowest pc and all we have SSD drives !

Now this is insane i know uBlock Origin is constantly increase their databases size not by 1 or 6 mb but it doubles and triples ! WTF.

I also checked AdGuard but no problem whatsoever and in article it says that AdGuard is using Ram for unpack databases from SSD into Ram. So it does and is better.

Also the same article it shows that AdGuard is using apparently 1 proccess per both incognito and normal modes, and uBlock Origin is using 1 proccess per incognito and another 1 proccess per normal modes. WTF.

So maybe that uBlock Origin is not as light at it says for the cpu, but it for sure is trashing your SSD drives, and this is just wrong very wrong.

Guy if you don't believe me check by yourself.

revert all Ublock Origin settings by default, now update all databases lists from within the settings i mean all inclusive all languages. wait to finish updates.

exit chrome browser, go to your chrome profile "Default\Local Extension Settings\cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm\" and check size on all our pc's it says almost 15 mb.

now reenter chrome and open one normal page and another incognito page and start navigate, cnn,nbcnews whatever for just a while. now close browser all windows and exit them all. go back to the chrome folder profile somethhing like "Default\Local Extension Settings\cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm\" and check the sizes mine it says 34 mb  now. wtf guys.

now enter chrome again and do the same navigate with normal and incognito mode, this time navigate more time. exit chrome and check again the chrome profile "Default\Local Extension Settings\cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm\" now it says 39 mb !

This is not right guys not right at all and if you look in the chrome task manager Shift+Esc it will show 2 ublock origin processes, the article specified that ublock origin is using split mode resultin 1 process per normal or incognito mode so now we have an ublock origin that is using 1 full databse per normal mode and another separate database for incognito mode or Duplicates !!

Guys this is wrong is like my antivirus is loaded twice in my pc and each one is using separate databases but the same one!

This is crazy!

I checked adguard and is using just one proccess for all incognito and normal modes, and adguard is having just 12.9 mb indeed stored databases and are indeed unpack the SSD databases into Ram.

I want to say that ublock origin made me reconsider from using it anymore and as for now i switched to adguard. it will take a while to be customized with adguard but i say it it a must do.

source https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/1482

Anyway it seems that the author of the ublock origin has something to say, but it doesn't mention a fix for the bigger databases or at least knowledge of it.

Looks that Gorhill or Raymond Hill is very proud of his uBlock Origin and says that has something that AdGuard hasn't (maybe the biggest database size)

What a shame i don't want to be using this anymore.

This reminds me of wikileaks.

That just made me sad.

106600999-ce2aa100-6563-11eb-83ef-c0097a

106601021-d551af00-6563-11eb-9bf1-7711ec

106601036-d8e53600-6563-11eb-984e-19e95f

Please tell me your experiences with AdGuard and your uBlock Origin ! 

• Replies 1
  • Views 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived