Italy Blocks Users On Tiktok After A 10-year-old girl Died In A Blackout Challenge

aum

Italian authority has blocked certain users from accessing TikTok. Users, who can’t definitely verify their age after the tragic death of a young girl who is taking part in a “blackout challenge”, from accessing Tiktok.

This girl’s death was firstly reported by ANSA on Thursday when it happened.

From the report:

A Italian girl,10, was pronounced brain dead by a Palermo hospital on Thursday after she took the Blackout Challenge on TikTok.

Her parents have accepted to donate the organs of the girl, who tied a belt round her neck to self-asphyxiate in the challenge on Tiktok.

According to The Guardian, an investigation has been opened by Italian prosecutors , and Italy has temporarily blocked users from gaining access to the popular social platform “whose age couldn’t be verified.”

TikTok had reported that it has not discovered any content on its site that may have persuaded the girl to participate in the challenge, but was assisting the authorities in probing the incident.

A Tiktok spokesperson said: “The safety of the TikTok community is our absolute priority, for this reason we do not allow any content which encourages, promotes or glorifies behavior that could be dangerous”

The report shows that the Italian Data Protection Authority had blocked TikTok till February 15th immediately till regulator’s demands are met. This challenge being referred to was also reportedly called “scarfing” or “the choking game”, involving participants blocking oxygen to their brain in order to get high. The girl’s parents told La Repubblica that they are not aware of the game and only aware of their daughter going on TikTok for dances, and to watch videos.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved from Mobile News.

(AFAICS, TikTok is basically a short video sharing service, so better here)

zanderthunder
4 hours ago, info999 said:

ridiculous, how many people died of car accidents ? why not ban cars ?

it's all about regulation and accountability of users using the service. not about your theory of "car accident and the cars".

Fortunately though, Italy's blocks on TikTok are not severe enough like what was happened in India.

8 hours ago, zanderthunder said:

it's all about regulation and accountability of users using the service. not about your theory of "car accident and the cars".

Fortunately though, Italy's blocks on TikTok are not severe enough like what was happened in India.

thr point is accidents happen

if it's really about the safety of the users, why not block fb and ig and yt as well, may be also block thte internet altogether 

zanderthunder
23 minutes ago, info999 said:

thr point is accidents happen

if it's really about the safety of the users, why not block fb and ig and yt as well, may be also block thte internet altogether 

you call it accident, I call it a self-harm.

if one concern about safety in social media, then stop giving phones to the underage kids. and consider using parental controls. simple.

parents should be more proactive on their kids, and if they raised their kids well, then they should know and differentiate what's good and what's bad in social media.

what an absurd and immature suggestion of "block social media, internet, etc.". what we all need is regulation and avoiding the similar thing to happen again.

p/s: The blackout challenge isn't new, before this there was blue whale challenge and momo challenge. Different challenge, but all are related to self-harm.

p/s2: I'm a parent and I also a teacher, so what I spoke is purely know the challenges of gen Z kids out there.

Marcus Thunder

This is much more insidious than you might think, this is not self harm. In the adult world it is called erotic asphyxiation and used as a method to achieve full body orgasms. In martial arts it is known as a bloodchoke. However it is hard to make it work for adult males because all the muscles in the neck. The martial arts videos on youtube if real are guys who have carotid sinus sensitivity. I tried using a belt one time but I was never able to reach the carotid artery, my face changed colors indicating the jugular vein is obstructed but I didn't blackout or have orgasmic convulsions. :stfu:

zanderthunder
7 hours ago, Marcus Thunder said:

This is much more insidious than you might think, this is not self harm.

The big question is about the motive of the challenge itself and what causing that minor to take such action. If the parents know the early signs of it, then it won't be happen in the first place.

Ask any psychologists out there, and they will give the same answer.

Archived