NRA declares bankruptcy, says it will reincorporate in Texas

mood

NRA declares bankruptcy, says it will reincorporate in Texas

1610746233043.jpg

Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association (NRA) speaks during CPAC in 2016. Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

The National Rifle Association said Friday it has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and will seek to reincorporate in Texas, calling New York, where it is currently registered, a "toxic political environment."

The big picture: The move comes just months after New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit to dissolve the NRA, alleging the group committed fraud by diverting roughly $64 million in charitable donations over three years to support reckless spending by its executives.

• The NRA then sued James in federal court, accusing her of violating its right to free speech.
  • Karl Racine, attorney general for Washington, D.C., filed a separate lawsuit in August against the gun lobby and its foundation "for misusing charitable funds to support wasteful spending by the NRA and its executives."

What they're saying: "Today, the NRA announced a restructuring plan that positions us for the long-term and ensures our continued success as the nation’s leading advocate for constitutional freedom – free from the toxic political environment of New York," the NRA's Wayne LaPierre said in letter to members and supporters Friday.

• "The plan can be summed up quite simply: We are DUMPING New York, and we are pursuing plans to reincorporate the NRA in Texas," LaPierre added.
  • "Under the plan, the NRA will continue what we’ve always done – confronting anti-gun, anti-self-defense and anti-hunting activities and promoting constitutional advocacy that helps law-abiding Americans."
  • "Our work will continue as it always has. No major changes are expected to the NRA’s operations or workforce. "

LaPierre also claimed Friday that the NRA is "as financially strong as we have been in years," despite the organization laying off or furloughing dozens of employees, canceling its national convention and cutting salaries last year due to the coronavirus pandemic, per AP.

• A spokesperson for the NRA said in May that like "every other business and nonprofit, we are forced to make tough choices in this new economic environment," per AP.
  • In its bankruptcy petition filed in Texas, the NRA listed assets and liabilities of as much as $500 million each, Bloomberg reported.

Go deeperThe NRA's dwindling political influence

Editor's note: This story has been updated with additional details.

Source: NRA declares bankruptcy, says it will reincorporate in Texas

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nuclear Fallout

The Proud Boys will declare a day of mourning.

FOR REAL, THIS FASHIST SHIT I DESPISE! i WAS FORCED IN THE MILITARY TO HAVE A FREAKING AR. DO I MISS IT?   N O

People have to learn to live without a fucking gun, Governments have to learn to treat their citizens with respect and dignity. WHEN WILL BE THIS BE ACHIEVED??

Not by having more guns on the street, but by respecting each other not based on religion, sex, etc.

I may sound a bit incoherent, but America is at its core looking very much like a failed state! 

In the UK we don't have the gun culture that the USA has (who does?),

but about 30 years ago an evil SOB went into a primary school in

Scotland and shot dead a female teacher and 16 kids. The guy

responsible had a legally licensed gun as a member of a gun club.

The law was immediately changed so that no-one can have a firearm except

specially trained police officers. Members of gun clubs must leave the weapons

stored in steel vaults in the cement floor and the firing mechanism stored in a separate

vault. Farmers are allowed shotguns to chase off birds etc, BUT only using non-lethal ammunition.

We had that one massacre in the UK, one too many, and we took steps to prevent this happening again.

Nuclear Fallout
2 hours ago, funkyy said:

In the UK we don't have the gun culture that the USA has (who does?),

but about 30 years ago an evil SOB went into a primary school in

Scotland and shot dead a female teacher and 16 kids. The guy

responsible had a legally licensed gun as a member of a gun club.

The law was immediately changed so that no-one can have a firearm except

specially trained police officers. Members of gun clubs must leave the weapons

stored in steel vaults in the cement floor and the firing mechanism stored in a separate

vault. Farmers are allowed shotguns to chase off birds etc, BUT only using non-lethal ammunition.

We had that one massacre in the UK, one too many, and we took steps to prevent this happening again.

Lucky you

@funkyy, some of what you say about UK firearms law isn't correct. Source: I was around for the incident you mention and the various firearms law amendments, used to be involved in firearms sports and know a good number of people who shoot or are involved in it in some way, including developing their own ammunition for their rifles etc.

Just to be clear, I'm neither really 'pro gun' or anti (I'm pro responsible liberty if you must know), but there is an underlying current from government to rid civilians of any possible weapons* and demonise their legitimate use of firearms for political gain with the uninformed masses.

*Even police firearms officers accept and agree that legally held firearms are not considered or referred to as 'weapons'. Weapons are things intended to cause harm to humans.

As an example, that massacre was done by a person who should not have been allowed to hold a firearms certificate; they were not easy to obtain even back then. The police wriggled out of their responsibility at the time but they made a bad mistake in granting the FAC. He absolutely should not have been granted a FAC according to the law due to existing medical/mental health conditions. All of that was suppressed and instead it was just portrayed as 'evil guns'.

Similarly, the government used another shooting later to expound the propaganda (mostly led by Douglass Hogg iirc) that firearms in private hands (used by their owners and by being stolen) were responsible for gun crime in the UK. It was complete fiction; I read the actual reports and statistics at the time and legally owned firearms made up a vanishingly small percentage of crime. It was illegally smuggled-in guns that were the problem, but that was harder to stop. So, the government made legal owners the scapegoats, demonising both them and firearms again to frighten the public, and looked like they were doing something useful when they subsequently said, "look, we've banned them. You're all safe now". Note that gun crime still did not reduce for a long time, when they finally got to grips with the illegally smuggled guns issue. That government tactic is still in full use today. I could point to many examples. All of that is fact, not my opinion.

With regards to the law...

(air guns are not considered firearms unless over 12ft-lbs energy for a rifle or 6ft-lbs for a pistol, in which case they become S1 or maybe S5 firearms. Scotland now has a registration scheme for airguns, but they are unregulated in Wales and England. Don't know about NI.)

You can own section 1 firearms and their ammunition and keep them at home (assuming you are granted an FAC of course). There are security requirements, but they do not require firing mechanisms to be removed and kept separately except in rare and unusual cases. Ammunition should usually be kept in a separately lockable compartment either within the gun cabinet or elsewhere (with then the same security requirements as the main cabinet). Really, there are few specifics on how firearms are stored other than they need to be very secure (things like affixed to a solid wall/floor and 7 lever locks are, I think guidance rather than law). It is up to the local firearms officer to inspect and determine suitability and compliance.

Exactly what we can own on a FAC can be a bit complex but we can have, for instance, bolt-action hunting rifles in most calibres (but not .50BMG now because so many people have been killed with those in the UK - not!), a semi-auto Heckler&Koch MP5 chambered in .22LR with an extended (designed that way, not aftermarket modified) barrel to make it rifle-length, or an air rifle over 12ft-lbs.

We cannot own: pistols except muzzle-loaders; semi-autos or self loaders in anything more than 0.22LR; obviously not machine guns etc.; or firearms which have been modified to try to make them fit the law. Basically, sporting, hunting and small calibre target rifles are allowed.

What we might be granted an FAC for and where can shoot is strictly controlled and is part of the FAC and application for it. We need to show a requirement for exactly what we want and each individual firearm/calibre (application) will be looked at and approved or not.

Keep in mind that outlawing the above would annoy a lot of very rich, land owning members of the 'gentry' and wealthy weekend so-called hunters, so will never be done.

Shotguns (section 2) have slightly less stringent requirements with a shotgun certificate (SGC) instead of a FAC, and practically any farmer can own a shotgun and ammunition - real ammunition, not 'non-lethal'. SGs can hold no more than 3 rounds, pump action and semi-auto are allowed, but solid slug shot needs you to have an FAC.

Anything else is on the 'section 5' 'list', which means normal people simply can't have it but if you are wealthy enough, there are ways and means as always.

I think the above is basically correct. The details change occasionally, but it won't be far off the current status.

Finally, take a look at Switzerland. They have a 'gun culture' too, and a remarkably high number of firearms, yet do not suffer any of the issues caused in the USA or even here. It's not about guns, it's about people/cultures/government and their attitudes. Personally, I'm mostly glad we don't have more easily available firearms in the UK, despite that I still miss practical pistol shoots. Most of the population isn't fit to own one. Why it is that way gets into political opinions that are out of place here.

stylemessiah2

Its no news that the NRA is (morally) bankrupt

Old white men who think theyre still living in the wild west

And people will just go on getting killed because of some fallacy that people have rights to own things that kill people...America, fudge yeah

(shakes head)

We've had gun control in Australia for 25 years now, we only needed ONE massacre to sort things out, iof you cant figure out that removing guns stops massacres, then youre as thick as shit OR live in a country where those who runs things dont care about human life...and theyre as thick as shit

America is a lost cause until they own up to the bullshit lies they tell themselves that they have the right to own guns

I left the military in 1990, havent fired a single round since...because im a private citizen who doesnt need a weapon

Note: Just because i know it will happen....i will not respond responding to any quotes of my post, by anyone, least of all the paranoid "new world order" types reading this, youre part of the problem...mmmkay

More people are killed by cars than by guns (2019 38,800 auto fatalities, 2020  25,657 gun deaths of which 14,784 were suicides).  So let's outlaw cars.  Besides walking is good for you.  Matter of fact, in 2020, 1,476 people were killed by knives whereas only 364 were killed by rifles including those labeled as assault rifles.  Let's outlaw knives.    I have owned guns my entire life, they were my life since I served in the military for over 30 years.  I have a large collection.  I shot 5 competitive matches a month for a number of years including combat pistol, combat rifle, combat shotgun, cowboy single action, and cowboy lever action silhouette.  I did all my own gunsmithing and custom built or modified my own weapons.  I reloaded all the ammo I shot except for my personal defense weapon which is loaded with Winchester Black Talons. I have killed people, that's what we did in the military.  I am a responsible gun owner and I shouldn't be punished for those who aren't responsible.  In leadership, when you punish a group of people for the actions of one, it is called a shotgun blast and an indicator of a poor leader who can't face and resolve individual problems.  If you don't like guns fine, don't own one, but don't try to impose your attitude toward guns on me because at that point you and I have a problem and your words aren't worth much in a gunfight.

Mutton, good post. I knew most of those details but I haven't been back home for 23 years so I was posting from memory. My point was that we don't want to have a repeat of that school shooting so rules were tightened. As always with politicians they say one thing and do another...it has always been thus.:dance:

straycat, I wasn't trying to impose my attitude on you or anyone else...just pointing out a fact that in Scotland we took action to try to prevent a repeat of a school massacre. But the USA is another country, another culture, and it's history from its original settlers to today is very different from ours so there would be no point in comparison. Your last sentence sums up the difference in a nutshell.:dance:

Sweden has a high number of grenade attacks.  "According to the Swedish police the reason may be the light sentence for possession compared to a firearm and when you use it the evidence destroys itself."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grenade_attacks_in_Sweden

------

Of course, firearms are not necessary for people wanting mass casualties.  For instance, a homemade explosive device was utilized in the Manchester Arena Attack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Arena_bombing

On 1/17/2021 at 4:42 AM, straycat19 said:

More people are killed by cars than by guns (2019 38,800 auto fatalities, 2020  25,657 gun deaths of which 14,784 were suicides).  So let's outlaw cars.  Besides walking is good for you.  Matter of fact, in 2020, 1,476 people were killed by knives whereas only 364 were killed by rifles including those labeled as assault rifles.  Let's outlaw knives.    I have owned guns my entire life, they were my life since I served in the military for over 30 years.  I have a large collection.  I shot 5 competitive matches a month for a number of years including combat pistol, combat rifle, combat shotgun, cowboy single action, and cowboy lever action silhouette.  I did all my own gunsmithing and custom built or modified my own weapons.  I reloaded all the ammo I shot except for my personal defense weapon which is loaded with Winchester Black Talons. I have killed people, that's what we did in the military.  I am a responsible gun owner and I shouldn't be punished for those who aren't responsible.  In leadership, when you punish a group of people for the actions of one, it is called a shotgun blast and an indicator of a poor leader who can't face and resolve individual problems.  If you don't like guns fine, don't own one, but don't try to impose your attitude toward guns on me because at that point you and I have a problem and your words aren't worth much in a gunfight.

So let me get this right?

The cars were used as weapons to kill people?, fully automatic assault knives?,  yes i'm mocking you

Real gun control is coming to the U.S.A, there is change in the wind, people are finally organising against the cancer they call NRA

The right to bare arms, will go the way of the dinosaurs, as it should

You can't stop change :)

When Home-Owners (without Criminal Record, Evaluated as Mentally Stable etc.) are allowed to carry Registered guns,

then, Criminals will think twice before committing Crimes.

44 minutes ago, pc71520 said:

When Home-Owners (without Criminal Record, Evaluated as Mentally Stable etc.) are allowed to carry Registered guns,

then, Criminals will think twice before committing Crimes.

How has that worked out in America though? Not so well from what I can tell. I don't think it's much of a deterrent when the bad people are used to it, and also probably have guns. In fact I guess they are more likely to carry a gun because the victim might have one.

Then there is the commonly heard phrase, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns" which is often very much the case and certainly was in the UK for some time. Gun crime is very rare now though; much lower than it was when I was working right in the middle of one of the highest armed crime rate areas in the UK (yes, I did have to duck on a couple of occasions).

As I said above though, it's not about guns. It's about people, cultures and governments. Switzerland is a shining example of responsible firearms possession with the best track record in the world. Completely the opposite of America's record despite comparable numbers or firearms per head of population.

Gun talk always gets a bit heated and political though because many people have such strong (and often illogical but deeply rooted) opinions on both sides, so I'll leave it here.

Mass Murder without Guns

There’s the 1973 mass murder at a gay bar in New Orleans that killed 32: An ejected customer went down the street and bought a can of cigarette-lighter fluid. And the 87 murdered in New York City in 1990: A guy upset with his ex-girlfriend bought $1 worth of gasoline. In 1986 in San Juan, Puerto Rico, union officers put pressure on an employer by using camp-stove gas to murder 97. On July 5 of this year, a guy in Port Angeles, Wash., burned his trailer, killing his wife and three children.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/mass-murder-without-guns/

More murders are committed with Knives

https://concealednation.org/2014/08/here-is-a-recent-mass-murder-that-you-wont-hear-about/

Vehicles are used for Mass murder

Do we band vehicles ?

United Kingdom

Vehicles were been used to plow into pedestrians in the United Kingdom twice last year, including a June 2017 attack on London Bridge that killed eight people and a March 2017 attack on Westminster Bridge where four pedestrians and one police officer were killed. Suspects in both attacks were shot dead by police and have been investigated for ties to terrorist organizations

Barcelona, Spain

In August 2017, a terrorist driving a van killed 14 people and injured at least 100 on Barcelona's heavily touristed pedestrian area of La Ramblas. 

Berlin

In late December 2016, a truck plowed into a Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people and wounding nearly 50 others. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the incident, calling the attacker a "soldier" of the militant group. 

Full list found here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/04/23/list-fatal-vehicle-attacks/544603002/

12 hours ago, rasbridge said:

Sweden has a high number of grenade attacks.  "According to the Swedish police the reason may be the light sentence for possession compared to a firearm and when you use it the evidence destroys itself."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grenade_attacks_in_Sweden

------

Of course, firearms are not necessary for people wanting mass casualties.  For instance, a homemade explosive device was utilized in the Manchester Arena Attack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Arena_bombing

"According to the Swedish police the reason may be the light sentence for possession compared to a firearm and when you use it the evidence destroys itself."

No, the reason may be that people can actually obtain grenades... and a light sentence for possessing a grenade ??

Yes your honour I admit I had a box of grenades, but they were only to be used for clearing weeds from my garden.

Dear God, what a world we live in.:duh::duh::duh:

THe NRA has been accused of corruption for many years, so where did the money go?

How are they able so set up in another state if your declare yourself bankrupt?

On 1/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mutton said:

In fact, I guess, they are more likely to carry a gun because the victim might have one.

It works the other way round:

When Criminals know that Home-Owners are Not allowed (by law) to carry Guns,

Criminals (who usually carry unregistered Guns) will easily use these Guns to make things easier for themselves.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mutton said:

Switzerland is a shining example of responsible firearms possession with the best track record in the world.

Completely the opposite of America's record despite comparable numbers or firearms per head of population.

The U.S. and Switzerland may have comparable numbers or firearms per head BUT do Not expect the Crime rate to be the Same.

In terms of population, the U.S.A. is almost 33 times bigger than Switzerland.

5 hours ago, Mutton said:

... As I said above though, it's not about guns. It's about people, cultures and ...

+ 1

People always find tools to commit the desired deed.

2 hours ago, aum said:

+ 1

People always find tools to commit the desired deed.

its simple, your either Pro gun or Against

The amount of massacres in the USA from guns, should be enough to say somethings wrong here?

The Amount of School massacres, should be enough.........But NRA   claim it's in the constitution the right to bare arms

so please NRA explain to me, why you can just about buy anything firearm related, watch youtube videos to see what's available

Pretty sure they were using muskets, when the constitution was drafted, and by the way ANY constitution can be Amended

Simple Fact Selling fireArms is a business, a multi billion $$$$ business, i'd like to see laws relating to what you can buy, thats real compromise

I forgot who funds the NRA? :)

Anyone who feels they need to carry firearms for protection, really needs to think about moving, to a safer country

Seems the USA is in a state of DECAY, but that's another story

stylemessiah2

Usual amount of gun crazy Americans in here banging on about their perceived "rights" to have weapons that have one job....to kill others

Not surprised

They will never get it, and the rest of the civilized world will continue to look on and shake their heads...

See you after the next mass shooting...we can reassess your insanity as a country again, like last time, and so on it goes

Archived