Time goes by faster as you get older—but there’s a way to slow it down

humble3d

Time goes by faster as you get older—but there’s a way to slow it down

Sometimes it seems as if life is passing us by. When we are children, time ambles by, with

endless car journeys and summer holidays which seem to last forever. But as adults, time

seems to speed up at a frightening rate, with Christmas and birthdays arriving more quickly

every year.

But perhaps it doesn’t need to feel this way. Our experience of time is flexible, speeding up

in some situations and slowing down in others. There are even some altered states of

consciousness (such as under the influence of psychedelic drugs, in traumatic situations,

or when athletes are “in the zone”) in which time seems to slow down to an extraordinary

degree.

So maybe by understanding the psychological processes behind our different experiences

of time, we might be able to slow things down a little.

--MORE--

https://qz.com/quartzy/1610044/how-to-make-time-go-slower/

• Replies 3
  • Views 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some time ago I read that the way we see (we feel) time passing by is related to our age... we feel it as it were proportional to our age.

When we are ten years old, 1 year represents 1/10th of our life and that's why we felt like 1 year was "an eternity"

When we are 50... well, 1 year represents only 1/50th of our life and passes in a moment.

Car journeys or religious masses were "endless" in our memory, and probably  they lasted less than a work meeting 😉

Strange in that time is a human concept, we all seem so paranoid to either make it rush by at time or slow down at others.

The older folk want to be younger and the younger want to be older, we live in an  odd world.

9 hours ago, hullboy said:

Some time ago I read that the way we see (we feel) time passing by is related to our age... we feel it as it were proportional to our age.

This was my thought exactly when I thought about this last year that and whatever physical properties are associated with having a young inexperienced brain. 

Archived