need windows 10, but what version? only need very basic functions

wozzzzza

i am getting an intel NUC gen 8 i5 and plan to run 3 monitors all with one browser each with CCTV of different places in each monitor.

that is all the operating system will do, no office, no other unessential apps.

what version of windows 10 would i want for this?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get home version if you need basic features, if you need more features then you can switch to Pro.

LTSC etc. are Enterprise editions and they have More features rather than less.

You can allways use a slimmed down version of windows from teamos forums. I am using a compact version of win10 pro which works flawlessly for..2 months(?) now. Never had any issues with it. Maybe you should try out one of the releases. 

On 12/12/2020 at 6:40 AM, wozzzzza said:

i am getting an intel NUC gen 8 i5 and plan to run 3 monitors all with one browser each with CCTV of different places in each monitor.

that is all the operating system will do, no office, no other unessential apps.

what version of windows 10 would i want for this?

All these suggestions for Lite, LTSC etc, why not just home, it's available without any messing about, that way it's installed, and fire and forget.

Also, given what you want to use it for, I would suggest looking at something like a dedicated CCTV windows application, something like Ispy connect, Luxriot Evo (Which are free). Using a browser to constantly stream will increase your CPU load immensely, where a dedicated app will allow you to pull the stream from the cameras (RTSP, ONVIF, IP, Wifi Cams.) with little cpu / memory load.

Once installed and set, will the system be allowed to be updated or do you plan to freeze it?

Based on @Dodel's post, what about a free dedicated system, that might not need win10?

yeah will update windows when its due, will have a look at that ispy see if it suits, but for a dozen cameras at a couple of locations, may not be suitable?

Windows 10 Home would be sufficient. I would recommend the Pro edition; to control or restrict Windows programs and services with Group Policy.

Archived