Laptop advice (which one to buy)

Sonar

I saved a little more money up towards a laptop.

if anyone can recommend any other please do.

We already own a razer blade 15 base edition and looking to buy another laptop.

https://www.very.co.uk/asus-zephyrus-g15nbspga503qs-hq003t-gaming-laptop-15in-qhd-165hz-amd-ryzen-9-5900hsnbspgeforce-rtx-3080nbspryzen-9-5900hsnbsp32gb-ram-1tb-ssd-white/1600567709.pr

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-Pro-17/RZ09-0368CWC3-R3W1

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best advice would come from someone who owns both of the laptops you describe and could give an honest opinion.  Otherwise all of us rely on third party reviews.  Based on those the Acer seems to be the better choice.  The Asus system has been reported as having slow pixel response, subpar battery life, and poor build quality.  The worse thing said about the Acer is that it lacks a SD card slot and Thunderbolt 3 support, both of which is also true for the Asus.  Personally I never recommend a specific model or brand because if something goes wrong with it or the person doesn't like it then it's my fault for recommending it.  I have 17 laptops, 15 of which are Dell Latitude or Alienware, and one each Acer and HP. I have never had a Dell product fail on me and I have been using them for over 24 years.  Matter of fact, I just tossed my 1997 Inspiron 3000 in the trash this summer.  Not because it quit working but because it ran Windows 95 and was super slow.  I still played some of the games I had on it occasionally but wasn't worth keeping it around.

for me asus has better components acer uses unknown components

I think I'm gonna hold off until after the new year.

I wish Very would stock the r7 or r9 TUF A15. I know the acer predator is roughly the same spec, just cant push my self to buying it.

i edited the first post.

if someone can drop in and provide a little bit of help would be appreciated

my main questions are

Do i buy the razer blade 15 advanced or the asus system

Do i buy the FHD or QHD?

For me, more than FHD on a small laptot screen is a waste... but there are of course a lot of factors involved is such a decision... what would you use it for?

Also, I don't know where you live, but here in Italy seems like a bad time to buy, a lot of products are not available, and the available ones are charged more, but the situations is not gonna change anytime soon I guess...

2 hours ago, ezellohar said:

For me, more than FHD on a small laptot screen is a waste... but there are of course a lot of factors involved is such a decision... what would you use it for?

Also, I don't know where you live, but here in Italy seems like a bad time to buy, a lot of products are not available, and the available ones are charged more, but the situations is not gonna change anytime soon I guess...

this will be used as gaming machine - the raxer i posted with the looks of it as been discontinued everything has gone out of stock.

i know the asus doesn't have thunderbolt but that make any difference?

1 hour ago, Sonar said:

this will be used as gaming machine - the raxer i posted with the looks of it as been discontinued everything has gone out of stock.

i know the asus doesn't have thunderbolt but that make any difference?

Thunderbolt lets you transfer data at up to 40Gbps. It can transfer data more quickly, but it can also unlock additional capabilities for connecting external monitors and expansion docks. It sure can be useful for some people, but if you don't know if it is useful to you, it probably isn't.

6 hours ago, Caseyblack said:

Thunderbolt lets you transfer data at up to 40Gbps. It can transfer data more quickly, but it can also unlock additional capabilities for connecting external monitors and expansion docks. It sure can be useful for some people, but if you don't know if it is useful to you, it probably isn't.

thanks for the reply. not gonna buy the asus due to the QHD screen and lacking some features.

After reading a little about FHD and QHD I think I will be going for the FHD spec. I also found out that the razer blade 17 is pre order only and not out until the middle of march.

I have not got many devices to plug into this laptop but another screen would be nice - which im guessing without thunderbolt is kinda a bad thing. thank you for that info.

stylemessiah2

Acer is utter garbage

30+ years in IT tells me that categorically

Solved

Good brands (mind you all have their run of bad models):

Toshiba

Hewlett-Packard

ASUS

MSI

9 hours ago, Sonar said:

I have not got many devices to plug into this laptop but another screen would be nice - which im guessing without thunderbolt is kinda a bad thing. thank you for that info.

Just to make it clear, maybe you misunderstood what I meant, you don't need thunderbolt to connect an external monitor. You only need it if you want to run two 4K displays (at 60Hz), a single 4K display (at 120Hz), or a single 5K display (at 60Hz). 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:43 AM, stylemessiah2 said:

Acer is utter garbage

30+ years in IT tells me that categorically

Solved

Good brands (mind you all have their run of bad models):

Toshiba

Hewlett-Packard

ASUS

MSI

The post was edited.

Razer blade 15 advanced 3080 or the asus g15 3080. - im slowly reading reviews everywhere as they come into play around the world.

I'm not a fan of the asus having memory locked onto the board where as the razer having 2 changeable slots.

I'm also not a fan of the razer not having a Ethernet port which i just found out damn!

Edit

razer blade pro 17  has the ethernet port built in - i think im still gonna go with razer - again this option is not released untill march 15th so still have a bit of time to look around.

For me 17"  is too much, if you don't mind the bigger size, the razer blade pro 17 seems really a good machine. I still would prefer FHD to QHD.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:05 PM, ezellohar said:

For me 17"  is too much, if you don't mind the bigger size, the razer blade pro 17 seems really a good machine. I still would prefer FHD to QHD.

the 17" costs just a little bit more with the same spec as the 15". I don't mind the larger screen. right now there is no spec for a blade pro in 15" :(

From what im reading around the reviews of anything more then FHD the  QHD / 4k spec are draining to much power from laptop's and im guessing will shorten lifespan of the mechine.

Archived