How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you

Karlston

There are plenty of ways to change the display brightness of a Windows 10 PC. What if some of these are not available? I ran into the issue the other day on a new system running Windows 10 20H2, an Intel 530 graphics adapter, and a LG 4K monitor.

The option to change the brightness was not displayed in the Action Center, and there was no option to add it or control the brightness using the Settings application.

Microsoft even has a support article up that supposedly tells you how to change the screen brightness in Windows 10. Problem is, it has not been updated since Windows 10 version 1903, at least that is the version mentioned in the article. Some of the instructions don't work anymore on newer versions of Windows 10.

While it was possible to use the monitor's own controls to change the brightness, it felt odd that the options were not there. I tried updating drivers to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

Since I did not want to spend more time researching the issue, I decided to look for a free program for Windows to change the display brightness instead. Requirements were simple: it had to be free and as lean as possible; this excluded programs such as F.Lux right away.

ScreenBright

screenbright brightness windows 10

Some promising programs did not work under Windows 10 anymore, but I finally found a program that fit the bill: ScreenBright is a free portable program for Windows to change the display brightness and some other parameters. It has a size of less than 400 Kilobytes when unpacked, and an easy to use interface.

The original homepage of the developer is no longer available, and the last update dates back to 2014. Despite all that, it works just fine on Windows 10 20H2. You can download the latest version from our servers with a click on the following link: ScreenBright

All it takes is to start the application and use the brightness slider that it displays to adjust the brightness. The new brightness level is applied immediately and you may hit the save button to save the new level.  You can then close ScreenBright without losing the changes.

ScreenBright supports changing the contrast and color luminance, and the color warmth as well. The program even supports multiple displays if these are connected to the device.

Closing Words

ScreenBright is a well designed software program for Microsoft Windows devices to change the display brightness, contrast, and color luminance. It is portable and lightweight, and does not need to be running all the time.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just by chance I just read this a couple of minutes ago on another site (credit to the poster "huwer")

"If someone is sitting on Win10 and does not know all its intricacies, let me explain - you do not need this program,
in Win10 there is a "Night light" counter (click on the rightmost icon in the tray and click on "Night Light" there).
It works more correctly and litters less than this program."
(he was referring to "CareUEyes")
As I am using Windows 7 I can't vouch for this, but maybe you guys can check if it exists/works.:dance::dance::dance:

LG OnScreen Control v5.71

OnScreen Control is an application to enable easy control of the monitor connected to a PC. Screen Split , Monitor Setting, and My Application Presets and other menus let the user control screen split layout and monitor display settings as well as the monitor picture mode for each application.

OnScreen Control is enabled only when a monitor from LG Electronics is connected, with information of the connected display shown on the list of monitors. 

- OnScreen Control supports connection of up to 4 monitors. 
- Depending on the connected monitor, supported menu may vary. 

Supported OS : 
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit, Service Pack 1) 
Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Archived