MediaCoder: ... to AVI (DivX) problem

shought

Hey,

I can't seem to configure MediaCoder to convert ...(any file) to AVI (DivX), XviD does work but I need DivX for the AVI file to be playable from a DVD. (We have two DVD players, both support DivX. I want to burn a high quality AVI (converted from an 4.3 GB MKV) to a RW disc and then be able to play it in my DVD player. I tried XviD (burning using UDF and ISO) but it didn't work (with both filesystems))

So, the question: how to configure MediaCoder to convert any file to AVI using the DivX encoder.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've managed to do what I wanted with WinAVI now, but it's twice as slow as MediaCoder and MediaCoder is a lot more configurable (other than it won't allow me to use the DivX codec, somehow).

Going steady at 20 fps... :P

Hey,

I can't seem to configure MediaCoder to convert ...(any file) to AVI (DivX), XviD does work but I need DivX for the AVI file to be playable from a DVD. (We have two DVD players, both support DivX. I want to burn a high quality AVI (converted from an 4.3 GB MKV) to a RW disc and then be able to play it in my DVD player. I tried XviD (burning using UDF and ISO) but it didn't work (with both filesystems))

So, the question: how to configure MediaCoder to convert any file to AVI using the DivX encoder.

Never used this before but I guess you can give it a try...

http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter/how-to-convert-mkv-to-avi.html

but dude why don't you "acquire" 2 dollars and buy a DVD-RW so you could convert the mkv to full dvd format which is more compatible and will take probably less time to do?

The last time I made a DVD, it was with Sony DVD Architect.. took me half the day to get the menu like I wanted it.. Then took four hours to burn.. ( includes converting and all of the other BS ).. Personally, this is why want to stay with something that can play the files directly.. which requires the right network and hardware..skip the crap and just play... Converting and syncing audio and .. bluuhh..

I do know your pain with DivX.. true it can encode really High Def.. great quality when done right.. but getting it to work is another thing.. I have a DivX file right now that I want to change from DivX and can't manage to pull it off at all.. and the only reason I want it changed is because there is no available seek when playing is the format .. and it is not compatible with all of my players.. Though I have the Full version installed and and have K-Lite Full as well.. real pain..

I bought a cheapass Philips Divx player that handles Xvid just as good. It was super cheap, I think less than 50USD. Not to mention I was able to unlock the region block to make it region free. Saves me the hassle of converting stuff now.

I do have a DVD-RW, more than one since they come in 10-packs :P

I just really want to get this DivX playing stuff working, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get any program (WinAVI, MediaCoder, Xilisoft, TMPGEnc) to convert to AVI (DivX or XviD). I'm pretty sure XviD should play as well, but I just can't get it to convert properly. The problem I'm experiencing now is that when I try to convert the file I want(tried AVI and MKV) to AVI (DivX or XviD) it will encode the first 4-12 seconds and then it will become really slow (like 10 fps) and go on forever to eventually crash...

I'm gonna try some more stuff, I don't give up easily ;) Will let you know when I find out something.

Edit: The problem for MediaCoder seems to be MKV --> AVI (DivX or XviD), I'm just gonna drop WinAVI for now. I'm now attempting to convert a random (short) AVI file to AVI (XviD) and will then burn it to the RW and see if my DVD player plays it. If so then I guess I will just have to convert the MKV to AVI (any other codec than DivX or XviD) and then convert it again to AVI (XviD).

Hmm, I just use TMPGenc 4.0 Xpress... using the Xvid MPEG-4 Codec (XVID) to convert 7GB of a VOB movie into 750MB AVI.

Copy it to a thumbdrive and plug into my Philip DVD player and watch the movie on my HD Ready LCD TV....every thing working fine.

TMPGEnc doesn't support mkv files... :(

I found an approach that works: Convert MKV --> AVI (MPEG-4, MP3) using SUPER, then convert AVI (MPEG-4, MP3) --> AVI (XviD/DivX, MP3) using MediaCoder.

Hey dude, I didn't forget about you on this. I now got around to doing some more research on the topic. I will just give you the list of top MKV to AVI converters around.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?orderby=Rating&toolsearch=&convert=MKV%20to%20DVD&s=&hits=50

One of them must work for you.

My personal favourites are:

1. AVStoDVD mainly because it can make use of the powerful HC Encoder than rivals the quality of thousand dollar encoders like CinemaCraft Encoder. It is also updated frequently to include latest versions of tools like AVISynth and HCEnc. I could advise you on settings to achieve best quality but the help file is quite adequate. Only problem with this is if you update the haali media splitter from external codecs like K-Lite then you should not install it again when you are installing AVStoDVD.
  2. ConvertXtoDVD because they use their own internal encoders and they have their own implementation of the most powerful resizing filter around, Lanczos resampling filter.

If you are looking for speed over quality then WinAVI should get the job done. ConvertX can work faster as well if you configure the settings for lower quality.

Oh wait, my bad, that was the wrong information. LOL. You wanted MKV to AVI. Here is the url for those converters. I don't think I used any of those but maybe you could try HandBrake, it looks to be the most promising one from the list.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?orderby=Rating&toolsearch=&convert=MKV%20to%20AVI&s=&hits=50

:D

• Administrator

Well I think format factory may help here.

Homepage doesn't say anything about MKV but it does support it. It also supports a hell lot of etc to etc conversion.

Forgot about this bc I got it done, but thanks for your suggestions, will take them into account next time ;)

Archived