Data recovery advice needed

d3v

Hey guys I had the task of recovering data from an 80gb IDE harddrive that had had many thousands of corrupted data sectors.

When I hooked it up to my workstation via a IDE to USB cable it would appear in My Computer just fine but attempting to access the disk resulted in Windows complaining that it needed formatting.

I used OnTracks EasyRecovery Pro to scan and recover the data which took nearly 68 hours to complete due to the sheer amount of errors encountered I assume. Most of the photos were unopenable with only around 20% openable.

This is the recovery report...

Ontrack EasyRecovery - AdvancedRecovery

Copyright © 2000-2010 Kroll Ontrack Inc.

Report Created 1/20/2010 @ 1:32 AM

Source Drive: SAMSUNG SP1604N

53182 files selected to recover.

10.75 GB data to recover.

Data recovered to C:\richard_recovered.

53121 files recovered.

10.73 GB data recovered.

Copy Time: 3:54:15

Some files had read errors and could be corrupted.

Copy finished with some file errors.

Is there anything I can try again to recovery more of the data as my customer is very dissapointed with my first attempt!

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well this is not new to me. One of the member here had exactly the same problem but different circumstances. I told him to use TestDisk and he was able to recover his data. Go here, it will give you all the information you need to use it. ;)

Abstradome HDD Regenerator.. is a good program.. you could also try to use a disc with HD recovery ability.. however not sure is these really have the ability to do so without destroying the data.. For normal file recovery I use R-Studio Network edition.. really good.. HOWEVER you will encounter some really slow times because of the corrupt/damaged sectors.. regardless.. One indication you have a drive going bad for those who don't know.. ( but not always the only thing it means ) for those of you without 7 or Vista to tell you ahead of time.. or as it occurs..

What's been recovered- more or less it...

Would recommend recuva- freeware and is as good as any non forensic recovery tool

• Administrator

If I'm not wrong, he has a hard drive where partition table is broken. I doubt that Recuva will help here.

How many partitions does that HDD have? Can you see all the partitions in My Computer?

yes,DKT is correct cause u faced the same problem with my 500GB HDD and withthe help of test disk i recovered the partition tables as well as the data from the HDD so have a chance with test disk before its too late :rolleyes:

DKT27 is bang on the money yet again! TestDisk photorec.exe found two partitions but then again so did OnTracks EasyRecovery which I used originally. The difference was that photorec took just 3 hours to recover the data AND it recovered far more files than OnTrack did, in a fraction of the time.

TestDisk has saved my ass twice now thanks to DKT27 for introducing me to this amazingly effective porogram.

heath28m I hooked the damaged harddrive up inside my customers machine explaining to them that I can't possibly tie my workstation up for another possible 70 hours but alas it only took 3, and also like you say Windows 7 Ultimate warned me 4 times that the harddrive was damaged and needed backing up immediately and on the 5th warn it allowed me to stop it from warning again. I bet any other Win7 edition wouldn't allow you to silence that sort of thing :D

• Administrator

You are always welcome d3v.

It's amazing that I've never needed to try TestDisk by myself. I wish I'll never need it to. :)

Archived