Hidden files in recycle bin

funkyy

I recently noticed that there are some hidden files in my recycle bin.

They don't show up when I click "Show hidden files", but they do

appear when I view my system contents with Treesize.

One of the files is a "desktop.ini file so I assume that one is ok to keep.

But the others are ".exe" files so I'd like to know what they are and if I

can safely delete them. (I'm on Win7 (x64)). Any advice would be gratefully

received.

Here's a link to a screenshot on Imgur:-  https://imgur.com/a/ACZUpmQ       :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rename your  "Recycle.bin" in "Recycle.old". After reboot, Windows create a new "Recycle.bin", then you can delete your "Recycle.old" with administrator rights one file after an other.

Many thanks Carolus, your instructions worked. First I made a complete image backup of my system

just in case there was any problem afterwards. Then I read a little about the Recycle Bin and how it's

a bit risky to tamper with system files etc. Anyway having the image as backup I felt confident about

following your instructions. I used the program "Everything" to find the "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder and

I re-named it "$RECYCLE.old" as you instructed and rebooted my system....and as you said, a new

Recycle bin was created, and I just deleted "RECYCLE.old", I checked my system contents with

Treesize again and the $RECYCLE.BIN folder is only kilobytes in size instead of 34MB that it showed

when it contained those ".exe" files. Thanks for your clear advice.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hello Funkky,

Sometime, Recycle.bin get corrupted, I don't know why but I remember this trick from a reading long time ago. You can use also a software like totalcommander or Q-dir to explore your recycle.bin and look, from time to time.

Look also on all your partitions because most of the time, if you have recycle.bin corrupted on C:, the others are the same way.

If someone can explain why recycle.bin can be corrupted, it can be interesting for our knockledge. It's a problem with the Recycle hidden folder.

Hi Carolus, I'll have a look to see if there are any other folders with corruptions.

It was strange because the hidden ".exe" files only showed up in

"Treesize" and I would never have known they were there. I also have "Q-dir"

in my portable collection so I'll use that later to check C.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@funkyy

I wonder why you need to rename Recycle Bin + Restart PC + delete Recycle Bin(Old)... when you can directly delete files from $Recycle.Bin showed by TreeSize?

On 11/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, funkyy said:

I recently noticed that there are some hidden files in my recycle bin...

Also, ask yourself if you need the recycle bin.

There are some reg tweaks to bypass it, set its size and nuke files at exit.

14 hours ago, Chatman said:

@funkyy

I wonder why you need to rename Recycle Bin + Restart PC + delete Recycle Bin(Old)... when you can directly delete files from $Recycle.Bin showed by TreeSize?

Chatman, When I first discovered the hidden files I noticed that I could delete the files using Treesize,

but I wasn't sure if deleting them was the right thing to do, so I went Googling for clues.

Then I posted the problem here some days later. By the time I had read Carolus's instructions

I had completely forgotten that I could delete them directly in Treesize!! lol.

They don't call me "Funkyy the Fallable" for nothing!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9 hours ago, mp68terr said:

Also, ask yourself if you need the recycle bin.

There are some reg tweaks to bypass it, set its size and nuke files at exit.

Yep, thanks I know that...but I like to have the option to retrieve something from the

recycle bin. It's not the first time I have deleted something useful and then thought

Oh shhhhh-sugar!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

4 hours ago, funkyy said:

... It's not the first time I have deleted something useful and then thought

Oh shhhhh-sugar!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Not the only one, you. 

Shhhhh-sugar happens.   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Archived