Slow ssd bootup time

Betts1964

I have an asus x550za laptop which is about 5 yrs old. I put in an SSD drive about 3 yrs ago to speed up start time on it. It was pretty quick when I 1st added it but now it takes between 25 to 30 secs to boot up which seems very slow to me. I have 8GB RAM in it as well. I have the following started in MY COMPUTER startup options ESET command line interface, GOOGLE, EDGE, "Phonetray and Task scheduler" as 2 software programs I installed.

Is there anything i can do to speed up the boot up time?

TIA

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coromonadalix

some ssd drives will slow down over time if they have wear and tear in their memory management,  newest ssd generations are better and better in errors corrections and content management if i may say,  and i was told when they past 50% to 75% of size filled with stuff a slow down may occur.

Always check  what programs / services are been executed

Maybe check for virusses  and do a registry clean up of left over softwares ...

7 hours ago, Betts1964 said:

It was pretty quick when I 1st added it but now it takes between 25 to 30 secs to boot up which seems very slow to me. I have 8GB RAM in it as well.

25 to 30 seconds is totally unacceptable for an SSD. FWIW, even my HDD used to boot much more quicker.

7 hours ago, Betts1964 said:

I have the following started in MY COMPUTER startup options ESET command line interface, GOOGLE, EDGE, "Phonetray and Task scheduler" as 2 software programs I installed.

Apart from the programs which start-up with Windows, there are many other factors which impact boot-time. One is services, another is scheduled tasks, third is configuration of your BIOS.

Besides the above 3 mentioned bottlenecks, there are many other possibilities which are program-centric.

See if SATA is in AHCI modus.

See if trim is enabled.

Installe the latest SATA drivers for your laptop.

Install the software for the SSD and do a manual trim in this software like Samsung Magician for Samsung SSD's.

Also O&O Defrag can do a manual trim on your SSD.

Install the latest firmware on your SSD (some SSD have bugs were they went slower over time)

If the SSD uses QLC NAND, I know that a lot of them goes slower over time.

Make sure you have minimum 10% free space on your SSD for garbage collection and trim.

Look with Speedracer program what application adds to your boot time like anti-virus, anti-malware or other software that starts with Windows.

stylemessiah2
8 hours ago, Betts1964 said:

I have an asus x550za laptop which is about 5 yrs old. I put in an SSD drive about 3 yrs ago to speed up start time on it. It was pretty quick when I 1st added it but now it takes between 25 to 30 secs to boot up which seems very slow to me. I have 8GB RAM in it as well. I have the following started in MY COMPUTER startup options ESET command line interface, GOOGLE, EDGE, "Phonetray and Task scheduler" as 2 software programs I installed.

Is there anything i can do to speed up the boot up time?

TIA

Could be one of many things

First most obvious is that if you fill an SSD over 70%, performance degrades

3 Years reliability 3 years ago for most average level drives was good, some brands/models are still only giving 3 year warranties

I have a 5 year old Samsung 850 EVO Pro thats still ticking over and i garauntee you i have written more to it than most folks :)

No signs of slowing down here

What brand of SSD did you use? I only use Samsung personally, for people on a  budget who dont store a lot of local files, i.e. msotly browse web pages, i will sometimes put Crucial BX-500 drives in for, but thats it. I dont mess with cheap crap like AData etc.

Did you overprovision it? <- this is a good idea, as it leaves unpartitioned space at the end of the drive that the SSD's controller can draw from when wear levelling (algorithm built into the SSD controller) tells it that the cells assigned to the used parition are worn too badly. Usally recommnded to be around 10% of drive.

Note you can do this without installing any SSD software (i.e, you dont need the manufacturers software installed), you just use disk management in windows, and shrink the last partition usually, usually windows by 10%. Its usually 100% safe to do on a live system, but usual disclaimer stands - always have a backup (Macrium Free or similar)

http://techtips.tv/windows/over-provision-ssd/

People will tell you you dont need to, and that TRIM is the most magical thing on earth and means yuo dont need it , but i still do because of the simple fact that data is never written to it, so they are pristine cells the SSD controller can use if/when needed. If youve used a cheap SSD drive, i would definitely use overprovisioning

Antoher good rule i have and try and drum into peopel is: Never leave anything you really love on a drive thats always in use - back it up or copy it to an external drive. All the stuff i love it store on 1-2Tb external conventional spinning drives, that rarely get used, only when i need to copy something to or from them.

As a bonus it keeps your system drive less full....

Also do not disable disk maintenance on Windows, it does defrag the SSD, but its safe and knows what its doing. You do not need to actively defrag an SSD with a 3rd party tool, you will just be adding wear. Let Windows handle it

Use one of the many pieces of software available to test the ssd speed in read and write mode.If that looks about right check what software you have running at boot up and disable it then see if the issue persists.

My ancient Windows 7 system was booting in the 30-40 sec time frame.  I installed Bootracer (later bought the paid version) and it cut my boot time down to 19 seconds.  I let it configure my startup programs and it has been working very well for several years now.

The SSD isn't a real factor on your System.

Since we only have so few infos,

i'd point out the 8GB RAM long before i would the SSD

Over time the initial load to initialize the Windows-Core grows,

Compared to an untouched installation, over 3 years - the amount of just References

are kept and compared are grow exponentionally.

Every Security or <whatever> Update adds Data and them References

to old References in case ...

The Path just isn't a straight line anymore.. make sense ?

Because there are no moving parts, your SSD is capable of handling

any amout of requests your System throws at it.

It just takes time to figure out the proper request.

Having said that, the figuring-out part needs RAM

The older a system gets the more complex the algorithm gets

to decide which version of <x> to load because of <y>

The only reasonable thing to do - if you want to have true feeling of what

'faster' means - start over fresh. That's the baseline, the only one.

Anything else - from "Tweaks" to "Boosts" or "disable this and do that" - in Comparison ?

But i'm game for that. Here's what i would do

- Disable PatchGuard and everything the Kernel adds

at Boot-Time in terms of Security to have an effect

- Do a Boot-Time Analysis and check what Driver or Resource takes "too long" <- whatever it means

That's how far i'd go - You see how soon you would reach the point where you can't determine "WHY" the Driver

takes <x> ms to initialize ?

The Question itself is what slows you down.

Regards

On 11/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, straycat19 said:

My ancient Windows 7 system was booting in the 30-40 sec time frame.  I installed Bootracer (later bought the paid version) and it cut my boot time down to 19 seconds.  I let it configure my startup programs and it has been working very well for several years now.

On a quick W7-System, patch the Kernel (PG and DSE).

You can probably cut it down to <15 sec .. and can do other nifty stuff

afterwards.

• 2 months later...

Recently, I had this very same issue and couldn't manage to fix.

However, a week later . . . I stumbled upon the solution, by mistake.

Since this topic is over 2 months old, guess the OP must have resolved their issue, by now.

Archived