Windows Defender Maximum Security vs Malware

tarekma7

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy sht, this is impressive. 100% block ratio

and those settings he is talking about, I've been using them for years. they are all fine and okay with legitimate software.

• 1 month later...

I'd be quite interested in whether other software really still is much better than defender. actually i get the impression most "laymen computer" sites say keep defender, other softqare is not better / makes matters worse

My problem with Windows Defender is that it I cannot control it like I can other Av products.  I use Kaspersky because it allows me to configure it the way I like.  I can add files and directories to its exclude list.  I can pause it very easily.  It will stay paused until I re-enable it.  When I have tried excluding files in Windows Defender, it has ignored those exclusions and deleted the files anyway.

Could someone share some light on this after me downloading "ConfigureDefender" please ?

False alarm maybe ?

ScreenShot00010.jpg

On 1/7/2021 at 5:33 AM, Mike1959 said:

Could someone share some light on this after me downloading "ConfigureDefender" please ?

False alarm maybe ?

ScreenShot00010.jpg

Hard to say without the file itself.  Use the following site to further analyze the file:

https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/

On 1/3/2021 at 12:38 PM, gandalf44 said:

My problem with Windows Defender is that it I cannot control it like I can other Av products.  I use Kaspersky because it allows me to configure it the way I like.  I can add files and directories to its exclude list.  I can pause it very easily.  It will stay paused until I re-enable it.  When I have tried excluding files in Windows Defender, it has ignored those exclusions and deleted the files anyway.

Simple solution to your problem - once Defender has identified a file as a threat, it will go on deleting it even if you add it to the ignore list. HOWEVER, if you clear Defender's history cache, it will then respect your ignore wishes.

To clear Defender's history cache, simply delete this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service

Actually, Defender is pretty damn good these days.

Archived