Driver Startup Issue

HX1

Okay was noticing today that I have this error in my logs on startup and it takes three scrolls of the progress bar ( when you boot Windows XP ) instead of the usual two that I get, before my computer loads the login screen.. This is the problem..as reported

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ViaIde
ViBus
ViPrt

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have ran several searches and can find nothing specific and have not been able to back trace any changes in my system to any viable means of discovering the cause of the issue.. EXCEPT I upgraded ( or attempted to ) Stardock Logon Studio and BootSkin, forgot about the startup entries when you install and have just killed them but haven't tested yet.. Also had to downgrade to the previous version in archive of the LogonStudio to get it to actually use the Logon Screen I wanted.. Like I said I have yet to check this change..

Anyway looking for one of two things... First, a way to remove these from booting up with Windows if they do not work.. I don't need the slow-down.. Second, the resolution to either finding out which program these belong to.. and reinstalling them.. or repairing their function..

Hate to ask so much... BUT I need a little help with this.. to anyone who knows what to do here.. ( please don't say re-install Windows.. I can do that .. REALLY.. :lmao: )

• Replies 5
  • Views 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah thats what I thought too.. and I have tried to re-install.. ( mostly because every package past 5.10 trows an error, ( 1628 )and the site will not allow me to even download and choose the driver package.. only way to get it is through Driver Genius ).. but.. their drivers have VIA not just VI at the beginning... that actually was one of my first thoughts about it though..

EDIT: Tried the restart after removing the startup entries for the Stardock Products.. same issue. Did a re-install of VIA Hyperion Pro Drivers.. and cleaned the registry.. Seems that this somehow is tied to my USB stick as well..getting this ..

RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Which doesn't make any sense.. and I have run disk and error checking on three drives..Doing a restart to see if anything has changed.

EDIT2: Okay so I did some more research and found these files to be directly related to VIA SATA IDE drivers... They won't install.. so I dunno what to do here exactly..Odd that this just happened out of the blue.. no hacking or issues..

Windows Xp does not natively support AHCI, if that is what the drivers relate to. Something is interfering with those services from loading possibly.

Go to regedit : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services

look for the via drivers in there, possibly the service will be called viaide. If the Type value is 1 (it should be 1 since this is a kernel mode device driver) then set the Start value to 1 to load the driver at kernel initialisation. For curiosity sake, when you find the service, tell me what Start and Type were set to before you changed it.

On the other hand if you really don't need it then you could set the ErrorControl value to 0 for Windows to ignore the error.

I guess it's up to you to figure out what program could have messed with those drivers, sometimes malfunctioning IDE drivers lead to system restore function failing. Investigate any Antivirus apps that load during boot, conflicting security programs trying to grab i/o access could cause malfunctions too.

Okay.. update everybody on what is going on.. I don't have the error anymore.. BUT after a ton of work... and even an SFC..scannow ( only found two files..replaced them with mine right after )

Last night I got frustrated with the VIA installation problem.. REALLY aggravates me.. So I decided to go through my Device Manager and switch drivers to Windows drivers and see if I could re-install VIA.. Didn't work.. OR so I thought.. I was still getting the error on reboot.. so eventually I just said ( @ 3AM ) forget it.. So I start my computer this morning and fond the error again, looking to be hopeful..LOL.. For some reason half-awake and I go straight to my driver installation archive unRAR the 5.10, 5.17a, and 5.24a VIA Hyperion Pro packages. I started with the 5.10.. and for some reason it installed ( differently from the rest installer wise ) but perfectly.. Then without a reboot.. I installed 5.17a.. went perfect where I would get an error before.. Rebooted as it suggested at the end.. and no error.. So I then tried to install the 5.24a ( which is the most current and the package I cannot even access from the site now.. jacked up for two days now.. first the whole site was down, now I cannot get to what I need ).. I get an error.. like before except this time it states that the installer script cannot be installed...Tried 5.17a.. again.. gives me the same error..( started kicking myself for not installing 5.24a first ) BUT after a reboot I still get three scrolls of the loading bar.... instead of two ( I think this may actually be down to the BootSkin Program update.. which I knew I didn't do for a reason )... The error is still not there .. and it seems to be fixed..

The only thing that I can even come close to thinking of that may have occurred.. is that my TEMP files which may have held the location of the driver.. may have been wiped out either by WinASO.. or me.. This happened during the process of switching devices back and forth from Windows 7 to XP.. as I was working on both at the same time.. and downloading updates for both..

I will investigate farther though and look into the suggestions here.. good to know where exactly to find this in the registry.. Help is much appreciated.. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I also came across two useful little programs called USBDeView and DriverView.. useful little programs from NirSoft.. that can be handy.. will allow you to have complete control over you USB device installations.. and will show you what drivers are actually loaded and in use by your system.. Self contained can be ran right out of WinRAR ( by just clicking the executable.. ) Oh yeah you will have to scroll almost all the way down to the bottom of the page to get the download link for each one.. ( almost never found t last night..LOL )

Archived