Mozilla memory consumption problem

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I've got a problem with Mozilla Firefox, it's consuming so much memory. Does this have a solution or I should wait a new realease (not beta or RC or alpha)?

• Replies 49
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking about version 3.6? It's no longer in alpha, beta, or RC state — it is now final.

Twice now I've seen Firefox 3.6 (once with RC1 and once with RC2/Final) taking 400,000 KB (i.e.400 MB) which seemed too much to me. That's how much memory I routinely saw Apple Safari 4 taking.

Thanks for the link.. Mine is still at version 0.1.8..:thumbsup: I had gotten the update.. experimental extensions.. really get on my nerves on this factor..

Try using Leak Monitor to help you diagnose any memory leaks by any extensions and and RAMBack to flush unnecessary caches to free ram.

In my experience though it's usually extensions, themes, plugins that cause Firefox to use more memory. A safemode firefox uses less RAM, maybe with 1 tab open chrome might beat it but with multiple tabs open FF will use less memory than chrome or any other browser.

I'm using Firefox 3.6 but I have never had problems with memory comsuption.

Mine I use is set to 0.. and the reason is that I never really have an issue I do have 2 GB RAM with XP.. but I never really see anything over 150 MB ( Virtual Memory ), ( also I do not have shared RAM with any Video Card or anything as far as I know.. there are system configurations that need to be considered as well ) very rare and really putting load on FF do I see it get over that.. Memory Usage drops to like 5 K when I hit the key.. Right now going from 65 - 70 K.. So I don't use this settings personally .. Bizarre might have a good idea.. It used to come with a setting of 100.. I think if I remember right...

Truthfully though I think it will depend on what other programs you have open, and how much free memory you need or want with the other programs you may be using alongside.. when your Hiding/Minimizing it..in conjunction with the amount of RAM you have on your system ( versus how much your programs need ) So the system can run smoothly.. with the other programs as if its not there.. Mine serves as a great tool nevertheless..

• Administrator

I think he means:

I'm using Firefox 3.6 but I have never had problems with memory consumption before.

;)

• Administrator

No problem Jose.

Tell me, have you installed latest Java recently?

• Administrator

Hmm. Did you had the same problem before updating Java?

• Administrator

So what is the range of the memory it's taking now? At normal like while being here on the forums.

Tried with creating a new profile? Updating your plugins.. Checking all areas to make sure nothing.. on the surface is wrong? ( I hesitated because I have said this before ) Also if you have extensions that have been disabled because they are not compatible, it may be advisable to completely remove them .. as in some cases they can still be a problem... Then re-install after they become compatible.. Mr Tech will not take care of this issue, as it is a incompatibility with the way they are written.. Not just a limit on the version tested..

EDIT: May also want to do a fresh start and then open the error console.. Some extensions and errors with the browser can and will be shown here.. You can alter some of these if yo know what your doing.. or forward the problem ( if you know what your talking about ) to the developer.. THE MAIN THING is that you can remove extensions that case errors with the browser.. even if you can't tell..

Right now for me its only 88,000k with 3 tabs, but it does go crazy sometimes with 350,000 which is annoying.

• Administrator

It's goes upto 300MB at some times. But very less.

Normally it's 150MB. And goes to 200MB.

It's goes upto 300MB at some times. But very less.

Normally it's 150MB. And goes to 200MB.

I'm at 218,000 KB right now with only three nsane.forums tabs open.

@dumble: Initially, I installed 3.6 RC1 as a fresh Firefox install on an almost brand new install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Then I upgraded Firefox to RC2/Final. So uninstalling and reinstalling isn't going to make a difference.

Sometimes, Firefox 3.6 just wants to take up to 400 MB of RAM. Bizarre's BossKey 0.2.1 to the rescue or just restart Firefox.

firefox fans dont mind if i say that cometbird uses less ram consumption when compared to firefox.now i am at just 89mb with 4 nsane tabs opened.what do u say mr.detective??

2zf7901.jpg

Archived