Acer Teamed Up with Porsche Design and Made a Laptop That's Not Stupidly Expensive

steven36

I admit I’m kind of a sucker when it comes to Porsche Design gadgets (I once bought a Porsche Design lighter for well over $100 for no real good reason) because even though devices like the Porsche Design Book One, multiple Huawei phones, and others are typically wildly expensive, there’s something about their ultra-sleek styling that I kind of like. And now, in a somewhat surprising move, Porsche Design has teamed up with Acer to create a minimalist laptop that’s actually kind of reasonably priced.

FszWSah.jpg

Image: Acer

Featuring an 11th-gen Intel Core i7 CPU and an optional Nvidia MX350 GPU crammed inside a metal and carbon fiber body, the Porsche Design Acer Book RS combines a simple MacBook-style body with harder edges and some touches from the auto world, and I think it looks damn good. On the computing side, the Porsche Design Acer Book RS has been Intel Evo certified to support things like instant wakes time, a bright display, and support for both Thunderbolt 4 and Wi-Fi 6. You even get a full-size HDMI port, which is something you rarely get on 14-inch ultraportables.

l71EHOp.jpg

Here’s the full Travelpack including the Porsche Design Acer Book RS, leather carrying case, and custom Porsche Design wireless mouse. Image: Acer

The rest of the Porsche Design Acer Book RS’ specs look solid too, including standard Intel Iris XE graphics, 16GB of RAM, a 1920 x 1080 IPS display with a 90% screen-to-body ratio, and a claimed 17 hours of battery life. Elsewhere, diamond-cut CNC sides and a nifty hinge that elevates the laptop slightly when open for better airflow help marry form and function. And weighing in at 2.76 pounds and measuring 0.63-inches thick, the Porsche Design Acer Book isn’t that much bigger or heavier than a typical 14-inch notebook.

Meanwhile, in addition to its carbon fiber lid, the Porsche Design Acer Travelpack adds some extra flair to the kit thanks to a water-repellent carrying case made from Ecco Palermo leather and a wireless Bluetooth mouse that has carbon fiber panels on the left-mouse button and the bottom of the mouse (because of course they did).

DcVFb3o.jpg

Image: Acer

But the most impressive thing for people familiar with the price of most Porsche Design electronics is that with a starting price at $1,400 (or $2,000 if you opt for the full travel pack), the Porsche Design Acer Book RS won’t totally break the bank. Sure, it’s a bit higher than you might normally expect for the specs, but it’s not completely outlandish.

So even though I’ve largely learned to appreciate Porsche Design electronics from afar, it’s still nice seeing Acer and Porsche design team up to create another slick and minimalist laptop. The Porsche Design Acer Book RS is expected to go on sale sometime later this year.

Image  Gallery  at the source.

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zanderthunder

I remember last time that Acer collaborated with Ferrari for their laptops, back in 2005. The laptops at that time uses AMD. The last time they release laptops under Ferrari, is the Acer Ferrari One netbook in 2010, also using AMD.

So Acer's collaboration this year with Porsche was the revive of sport car based laptops in the market.

6 hours ago, zanderthunder said:

I remember last time that Acer collaborated with Ferrari for their laptops, back in 2005. The laptops at that time uses AMD. The last time they release laptops under Ferrari, is the Acer Ferrari One netbook in 2010, also using AMD.

So Acer's collaboration this year with Porsche was the revive of sport car based laptops in the market.

They make them every so often  but the one  in the OP is not very expensive  . 

Porsche  teamed up  with Microsoft and Intel  in 2017   it says it above in the OP

Porsche Design Book One review

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/porsche-design-book-one

These are all useless Notebooks as we tested many of them

Other than the design, the components inside leave much to be desired for the amount of money they sell off.

I got one from a company, but it was almost a  "look and admire" at my Desk 😁

3 hours ago, cosy said:

These are all useless Notebooks as we tested many of them

Other than the design, the components inside leave much to be desired for the amount of money they sell off.

I got one from a company, but it was almost a  "look and admire" at my Desk 😁

You  never tested  this one because it has 11th generation laptop Intel Iris XE graphics .

The laptop itself is also far cheaper than Porsche Design’s last laptop, starting at $1,399 in the United States, although exact pricing and a release date have yet to be announced.

These  will be the 1st laptops  for HD gaming for everyday users  in cheap laptops were you want need to buy a expensive gaming rig and that's a big deal.  Mean While AMD is raising there prices for hardware like   the article about AMD  I posted from Fool.com the other day talked about,  so you dont save any money by buying AMD anymore that the only reason i bought it before. People.  who overcharge and sell them on Black markets buy all the good hardware up so once its released you lucky to find any .

People  are working at home now so i doubt the industry will be selling many expensive Business laptops, Its funny Enterprise just spent  a  fortune   on upgrading to Windows 10 and buying PCs  and nobody are at these worksites to use  them what a waste.:clap:

These chips  will be out by many different vendors and brands.      Of course they  releasing  cheaper ones  they already have release dates but not out yet it will be 2021.

People want the best bang for there buck they dont care about what some rich idiot buys to play games on . I'm a realest i dont live in some fantasy internet world or claim i  know better  or have more than everybody else just  to try too  impress people i dont know.

M$ still running 10th gen in there notebooks they just release  there $500 laptop  its crap only 4GB of ram  $300 laptop for $500 and  they a year behind the others.

In 2020, things look a lot different. Tiger Lake, Intel’s 11th-Gen family of mobile processors, is critical to the company. Intel has made a slew of targeted adjustments to its 10nm node, resulting in a re-vamped process that it calls 10nm SuperFin, and it brings up to 20% higher clock speeds and better power efficiency.

Apple Mac OS going to ARM and so is Microsoft  Hardware and Microsoft  dont even have a full  set of Apps for it .Linux has had lots of Apps for ARM  for years so there all  behind Linux. But I dont want ARM hardware I think its over priced junk  .

But  these  automotive  laptops  are niche for car fans , Toys for Grown ups like they had GI  Joe and Barbie  PCs  with Windows ME  in 2000 for kids .  It no different than people buying  overpriced   Apple Macbooks and Microsoft  Surface  because there fanboys and fangirls.  Apple  is a jail   i would never use there locked down OSes    and Microsoft Surface is plagued with bugs  just like Windows 10 is. :lmao:

Archived