Dear Microsoft, could you make Edge a little more obnoxious?

Karlston

So I’m sitting here plunking away on one of my production Win10 version 1909 machines, when a new update appears.

2020-08 Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4576754)

I needed to reboot the system – it had been running for almost two days without a reboot (sarcasm alert) – and when Windows came back up for air, Edge appeared full-screen. I tried clicking lots of things, but it wouldn’t disengage. In the end I navigated through a four-screen “tutorial” that, by default, wanted me to log Edge in to my Microsoft Account and oh-so-helpfully retain Edge surfing information to, you know, make my shopping experiences more tailored.

When I finally got through unchecking all of the snoop settings, and closed Edge, it showed this on my Taskbar:

The-new-Edge-is-here.jpg

And that didn’t go away until I clicked the “X” in the upper right corner.

It’s entirely possible that Edge is the greatest browser ever – that it’ll make me brighter, more productive and definitely debonair. But it really twists my gizzard when an app takes over my machine and forces me through a series of privacy search-and-destroy questions.

I’ve been playing with Edge. I think I’ll give it a pass for a while.

UPDATE: I see that Shawn Brink on Tenforums has a registry hack to keep Windows Update from installing Chredge. Far as I’m concerned, MS can install it — after all, it is their machine (cough) — but I’m not going to use it for a while.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blocked access to Edge updates. No need sense I have Firefox and Google installed.

I have been using the new chromium Edge since it first leaked, and it is like a wet dream come true.  I really have to laugh at the author for complaining about being forced to go through privacy search-and-destroy questions.  No doubt if there were NO questions he would be complaining about that.  Some people just like to complain.

I think Woody's beef was how it auto-ran and couldn't easily be dismissed, instead forcing him to navigate through (1) a request to log in to his Microsoft Account, (2) an unwanted tutorial, and (3) a bunch of unwanted questions when all he wanted to do was close it and get back to work.

59 minutes ago, Karlston said:

I think Woody's beef...

Woody is never satisfied with anything.  All that takes 10 seconds, and if he actually paid attention he would find out how wonderful Edge is.  It is much better than Chrome, and of course it is better than Firefox (which goes without saying.)

1 hour ago, dhjohns said:

All that takes 10 seconds, and if he actually paid attention he would find out how wonderful Edge is.

A notification that told him that the new Microsoft Edge had been installed would have sufficed.

Woody probably would have preferred that he himself chose whether or not to find out how 'wonderful' Edge is, and not be forced to go through all that crap before Microsoft graciously consented to allow him to start using his PC again.

Microsoft reminds us regularly about how much they care about their users' privacy, but think nothing of pulling this sort of annoying forced privacy-defying stunt.

8 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Microsoft reminds us regularly about how much they care about their users' privacy, but think nothing of pulling this sort of annoying forced privacy-defying stunt.

Well, if it just appeared and didn't say anything you would join Woody and complain about that too!  LOL

9 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Well, if it just appeared and didn't say anything you would join Woody and complain about that too!  LOL

Nope, because I would just ignore the notification which would go away on its own (unlike the unwanted Edge forced marketing), and get on with doing what I wanted to do. :P

2 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Nope, because I would just ignore the notification which would go away on its own (unlike the unwanted Edge forced marketing), and get on with doing what I wanted to do. :P

I take it you have never tried Edge?  It is truly amazing, and Nsane Forums works great with it.  In fact this forum works better with Chromium Edge than any other browser made.

7 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

I take it you have never tried Edge?  It is truly amazing, and Nsane Forums works great with it.  In fact this forum works better with Chromium Edge than any other browser made

Mate, I'm very pleased that you love Edge, really I am. What I've posted was never meant to denigrate Edge, only to support Woody in his attack on the way Microsoft has spammed marketed it in this instance.

But no, I haven't tried Edge, I have invested lots of time customising Firefox so that it does everything I need in a browser and looks and works the way I want.

Meh, a lot of whinging from a known whinger

next Woody article and whinge..........

the guy should switch to another OS or stop being so fricking self important

I'm deciding or I have decided to ditch Woody's Newsletter and his low profile analysis of windows for some time now.

Even though I have a paid version.

There are other reasonable topics to focus on other than this small browser 😁

Nuclear Fallout
11 minutes ago, cosy said:

I'm deciding or I have decided to ditch Woody's Newsletter and his low profile analysis of windows for some time now.

Even though I have a paid version.

Hi cosy,

I haven't heard for some time about Woody's Newsletter, how time flies by.

I agree, at one point in time one has to say: enough, you got my money, you got my pension, you got my stocks. What else do you want?

When things become too much occupied with themselves they loose direction, or more fittingly said "they no longer provide value for the money spend".

14 hours ago, Karlston said:

But no, I haven't tried Edge, I have invested lots of time customising Firefox so that it does everything I need in a browser and looks and works the way I want.

Me nether i been a Firefox user  since 2006  , I  use it 90%  of time they somethings i don't like about Firefox but no  version  of Chrome  has those features  I use sometimes  like flashgot  to grab links from some sites  to  put  in my dl manger and video players . I use openwith and open those with Waterfox  classic .But other than im happy  with Firefox  . I dont have nothing against Chromium  i have it and Brave installed  but it spare browsers.   I dont  have no desire to  use EDGE or Google  to me  there  just another Chromium wrapper the only service  Google has is DRM  that i need sometimes but  Firefox  and Brave has  it. But if  I dont like something i just  remove  it but  if you use Windows  10 its not easy . No one is forcing Woody to use EDGE i stop using IE in 2006    but it never hurtled anything being there. .

1 hour ago, d5aqoep said:

I quite like the new Edge. Working well and faster compared to molasses called Firefox.

They a 100 Chromium wrappers too chose from for many years before  they made EDGE Chromium   , Most people made the switch years ago  Chromium is not new so if you think   Firefox is molasses  why didn't u switch years  ago like  the masses  did ?. EDGE  don't seem to be even putting a dent in  Google  Chrome market share that the masses have been using for years. Does  it have some kind magic service you need or something? Its strange  seeing a small group of people who always done what the masses did adopting  a browser  with such a small market .It make fanboys  stick out like a sore tumb. I  like testing browsers . Ive always had  some version of Firefox  and Chromium installed for years. The masses  that use Google probably dont even notice that it updated to EDGE Chromium they too busy reading about movie stars ,  pop stars  .politics  and watching YouTube or something  what ever non tech people do.

Many  people on TICTOK App when asked they didn't know who Oracle was . It's nothing new  many people dont know to do updates and stuff .If you dont update it  for  them or it has auto updates it dont get updated . No wonder they force updates  on platforms the masses uses. They dont never notice  unless something goes wrong then they get someone who knows how to fix it. :smoke:

8 hours ago, d5aqoep said:

I quite like the new Edge. Working well and faster compared to molasses called Firefox.

Must be just you, i have 30 addons and my Firefox still loads faster than Edge or Chrome with 0 addons...thats molasses...

On 9/26/2020 at 1:45 AM, cosy said:

Small browser  is right .Still no way to sync it with  the XBOX  version  ,It wont  be no sync on linux  ether , All  the other browsers have Sync on Linux  They spend  billions on making XBOX  a service  but they  can't  add sync too it's  browser?  People  use Kodi  and everything on XBOX  now. :lmao:

Archived