Lenovo begins selling OEM Ubuntu PCs to the general public

Karlston

It's getting easier to find OEM-installed and -supported Linux computers.

Promotional image of desktop computer.
Enlarge / No, that's not a pink panther—that catlike critter is a fossa, and it's both mascot and default wallpaper of Ubuntu 20.04, preloaded on this ThinkStation P920.

Beginning today, Lenovo is offering a greatly expanded selection of OEM Linux PCs to the general public. Earlier this year, Lenovo began offering Fedora Linux pre-installed on laptop systems including Thinkpad P1 Gen 2, Thinkpad P54, and Thinkpad X1 Gen 8. Today's announcement makes Ubuntu Linux available on a considerably broader swath of both desktop and laptop PCs.

ThinkPad T14 (AMD and Intel) ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 ThinkPad P1 Gen 3
ThinkPad T14s (AMD and Intel) ThinkPad L14 ThinkStation P340
ThinkPad T15p ThinkPad L15 ThinkStation P340 Tiny
ThinkPad T15 ThinkPad P15s ThinkStation P520c
ThinkPad X13 (AMD and Intel) ThinkPad P15v ThinkStation P520
ThinkPad X13 Yoga ThinkPad P15 ThinkStation P620
ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3 ThinkPad P17 ThinkStation P720
ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 ThinkPad P14s ThinkStation P920

The devices themselves—and their Ubuntu certifications—aren't new, but the public accessibility is. Previously, these systems were only available to enterprise customers via custom bid, but the 27 new models—mostly featuring Ubuntu 20.04, except for the L series laptops featuring Ubuntu 18.04—will now be available for retail purchase through Lenovo.com. Just beware of the footnote warning that some models may be limited to specific markets.

Although it has been simple for individual customers "in the know" about enterprise-only model certifications to buy those machines with Windows and install Ubuntu themselves, the new OEM program removes roadblocks in both knowing which systems to buy and getting factory support on them once installed.

Igor Bergman, Lenovo's VP of PCSD Software and Cloud, said the goal of the certification and pre-installation program is "to remove the complexity, and provide the Linux community with the premium experience that [Lenovo's] customers know us for." Canonical VP of Engineering Dean Henrichsmeyer added, "this collaboration [offers] assurance of long-term stability, added security, and simplified IT management."

Lenovo will be offering a full range of support including both Web- and phone-based assistance with any platform issues associated with the Ubuntu pre-installed systems.

ThanksForReading200x49.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Views 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move for those looking for recent devices and don't want to be tied up to m$oft products.

Lenovo will be offering a full range of support including both Web- and phone-based assistance with any platform issues associated with the Ubuntu pre-installed systems.

They can expect many questions/calls from new linux users. There are also a lot of resources on the net.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, vitorio said:

Excellent choice as long as it comes with a lower sale PC, since they are not paying royalties to Microfoft, I suppose.

They  ruining  a sale on new  PCs  right now you  save a little bit by buying them Linux  but not much .  I would never  use  a OEM  image  i would  reinstall  Linux soon i got it plus i dont  like the flagship version gnome  .I  dont trust  no PC  manufacture  . Lenvo  was caught  putting spyware  in images before.  They  a catch too it you only  can get Linux  ones from Lenvo US so far , they don't have them in Canada  yet  not checked  other places  with my VPN  they most likely dont  have them ether  if Canada  dont.

This  mini PC i use came with Windows 8.1 upgrade to  windows 10 on the Box  from Dell  i got it from Amazon  really cheap  because they was selling Windows 10 PCs already .  When I got  it was full of bloatware that  slowed it down  So I reinstalled  windows  on it then put linux  on it. dual boot  . It just depends  do you want play games  some games dont work on Linux  because the games think wine is a cheat . Or do you  need Windows?  So  you may want to pay a few  more dollars for Windows.  But you can find deals on PCs  end of year sales  and things , Linux PCs  are for people  who only want to use Linux or pirate Windows  because  you cant buy the good versions  of windows 10  but just  to play some  games on windows and use Linux the rest of the time you dont need to pirate windows ,

The Nice thing about buying right  from  the manufacture you get rebates if running  a sale  and  you  can customize your system with more powerful hardware  if you want to pay extra. Lenvo  do custom builds  for you. Free Shipping.  The main thing is there like my Dell since they ship them with both OS  they  100% will work with Linux  and there showing commitment to Ubuntu Linux by selling them to the general  public . :smoke:

Archived