Software/Site to Replace nsane.down

christantoan

christantoan

Hi,

As with the news of nsane.down retiring this year, I'd like to ask if anybody knows a site/software that provides similar functionality especially for the software version update notification?

I mainly use this site to monitor for new version of software I have in my computer through RSS (and for the news). I just filter out the software I'm not using from the feed.

I have tried SUMo but the startup time is too slow and it only scans for update manually (AFAIK) and detected to much like included 7z in other software. What I want preferably is just I enter a software list I'd like to be monitored and send me an email or RSS feed (preferred) when there's an update.

I'd appreciate if you can share any lead.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who told you that there will never be a replacement of the site?

I would request you to read what @Matt wrote and please try to understand the explanation, before we get into another discussion here on this trivial issue.

It is of no value to reproduce his words over and over

this forum>unread content

regards

• Administrator

@christantoan the nsane.down website is just a mirror to the forums, and on the forums we are going to keep doing the same things. 

https://www.nsaneforums.com/forum/17-news-amp-updates/

We will keep publishing our FrontPage software news, and you can always access the RSS of any forum in here by finding the RSS button in the end of the forum on the right side. 

christantoan
4 hours ago, cosy said:

Who told you that there will never be a replacement of the site?

I would request you to read what @Matt wrote and please try to understand the explanation, before we get into another discussion here on this trivial issue.

It is of no value to reproduce his words over and over

Thank you for the reply. Sorry but I don't get what you meant by "Who told you that there will never be a replacement of the site?".

I already read again what Matt wrote and as far as my understanding goes, the nsane.down will be ended while the forum will still stay up. I just stated my preference for the frontpage as the page is easier to consume rather than browsing through forum. Please don't take this as an offense for maintainer of the forum, just my preference.

I understand repeating what's already been said over and over is of no value however I've tried to search for a topic that's discussing this topic/question and didn't find any. Maybe I was searching using wrong keywords and I'd like to apologize for that and wasting staffs' time.

3 hours ago, neofita said:

this forum>unread content

regards

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried using that feature and found it not really suited for me as I wasn't able to filter the new content based on the subforums. I see filter based on tags, content types, read status, etc but none about topic location.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

@christantoan the nsane.down website is just a mirror to the forums, and on the forums we are going to keep doing the same things. 

https://www.nsaneforums.com/forum/17-news-amp-updates/

We will keep publishing our FrontPage software news, and you can always access the RSS of any forum in here by finding the RSS button in the end of the forum on the right side. 

Thank you also for the suggestion. I think this is what most suited for me at the moment as it replicates the frontpage the most.

Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions. Once again I apologize for wasting time and inconveniencing staff's time.:sadwalk:

Well, to try to answer the spirit of your initial inquiry – there aren't many different ways of tracking updates, either through software or through websites. One of the ways would be to install KC Software's SUMo application, or something like Soft Organizer, that's less aggressive and also tracks updates to installed software. Something like that can let you know there's been an update, but the rest will be up to you. Another would be a different software cataloguing website – something like Major Geeks comes to mind. There really is no one-stop solution.

christantoan
4 hours ago, Alanon said:

Well, to try to answer the spirit of your initial inquiry – there aren't many different ways of tracking updates, either through software or through websites. One of the ways would be to install KC Software's SUMo application, or something like Soft Organizer, that's less aggressive and also tracks updates to installed software. Something like that can let you know there's been an update, but the rest will be up to you. Another would be a different software cataloguing website – something like Major Geeks comes to mind. There really is no one-stop solution.

I see. I've already tried SUMo and didn't find it suited well for me. I know about Soft Organizer but thought it's only used for uninstall manager / leftover cleaner. Never know about the update tracker functionality. I'll try the software.

Thanks for the suggestion.

52 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

Many softwares also come with a 'check for update' function that can be set (or set by default) to 'check at startup'.

Yeah, this one I already use but some software doesn't come with it that's why I also use the frontpage.

1 minute ago, christantoan said:

I see. I've already tried SUMo and didn't find it suited well for me. I know about Soft Organizer but thought it's only used for uninstall manager / leftover cleaner. Never know about the update tracker functionality. I'll try the software.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's a relatively new feature, and not very thorough. Where SUMo will find 30 or so updates, with various versions and files, half of which don't exist or are beta versions/drivers (even though beta is switched off), Soft Organizer will only show 3. So depending on what software you use, it could easily happen that SO doesn't recognise it. I'm still hoping they expand and improve it.

Archived