Microsoft Should Kill Internet Explorer

Lite

• Administrator

Note: This is the opinion of the author. Lets also not turn it into a "My Browser is better than yours". We all know that the The WorldWideWeb browser is clearly the best....

It's time for Microsoft to kill Internet Explorer. It has to be done quickly, before it's too late to rebound. The browser is bleeding market share in a way that a new version alone cannot stop. It's time for the company to rethink the browser and come at it from a fresh perspective. Microsoft needs a new browser, not a new version of an existing one.

Mind you, I'm not arguing that Microsoft should get out of the browser game. I still think the software giant has a lot to offer. Features like WebSlices and InPrivate are nice advances, and Microsoft has been at the forefront of anti-phishing technology. I'm just saying that continually creating new versions of Internet Explorer is not the way to go.

IE is in a terrible market share slide, and a new version isn't going to solve anything. Wikipedia averages out IE's market share to 62.69% as of December 2009. It's losing about one percent a month. Here at PCWorld.com, IE accounts for only 43.9% of browsers visiting the site - it's still ahead of any other one browser, but Firefox, Chrome, and Safari combined account for 53.7% of our visitors. IE is losing a percentage point every month worldwide, and that's just the start. There will come a tipping point where that loss will accelerate, and simply kicking out a new and shiny IE9 isn't going to stop the slide. After several years of lackluster versions, the IE name is now poison. It's time for a new browser with a new name.

Certainly, Microsoft is cooking up some good tech for IE 9. This videoon Channel 9 showcases some of it. Drawing the browser window with Direct2D for perfect font rendering and smoother web apps? That's pretty cool! Unfortunately, nobody will care about these things if the browser doesn't become something much more than what it is today.

Here are six ways Microsoft can revive its browser business:

1. Drop the Internet Explorer name

2. Redesign the interface from scratch

3. Pile on the useful new features

4. Develop a new, robust, easy-to-develop-for add-on interface

5. Forget backward compatibility

6. You can't be too fast or too light

With all the focus on netbooks and small ultraportables these days, and the extended battery life they provide, your ability to render the tough web pages in an energy efficient manner is going to be key. Mark my words - battery benchmarks on demanding websites is the next great browser benchmark battleground. Plan to be in the lead.

Can Microsoft make a comeback in the battle for the browser? I think they can, but only if the company make a major mental shift. I know what you're thinking. "A rose by any other name..." Just because Microsoft makes another browser doesn't mean it's just another Internet Explorer with a new coat of paint, but only if it is developed with the passion and purpose of creating a new browser out of whole cloth. The mindset of making a "new version of Internet Explorer" has to go. The company needs to build a completely new browser product, with a new name, new look and feel, and new features - possibly built by a new team (or at least, with a lot of fresh new blood in the existing team). Microsoft needs to approach the browser as if they don't already have one and are trying to introduce a totally new and hot consumer product into a fierce, crowded, and rapidly changing market. Are they up to the task? I think products like Zune HD and Xbox 360 are examples of how MS can make critically successful game-changing products with the right mindset, and only needs to apply this thinking to the browser.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After this:

Attackers targeting Google and a host of other U.S. companies recently used software that exploits a new hole in Internet Explorer, Microsoft said Thursday.

I totally agreed with you.

cnet

• Administrator

The article means MS should kill IE but start from scratch. And I agree with it. If MS considers at least 4 out of 6 points mentioned, they may have some chances to be back on top. But I feel that IE lacks speed, not surfing speed but operating speed. They should also consider that.

• Administrator

It would be better if they start it from scratch rather than allowing it to go down and down and eventually die. ;)

I would like to see what MS has it up it's sleeves for the future of IE.

I personally only use IE and have since 2001, and a friend or 2 have changed my home pages to lets see, hmmm, firefox 3 times and chrome 2 times, and goggle.com a few as well, I have always changed it back to IE and will continue using IE, or goggle until the end of time! Just my opion because i know where everything is already located.

@bashar:

It might cost them dearly, but if they manage to pull the stunt off and make a great browser...

the end will justify the means ^_^

Archived