No system reserved partition

ThE iNsAnE

I had a windows 8 OS installed on my laptop on C drive (Primary). Apart from that I had a D drive(Logical partition) and E drive (Logical)

Now on disk management, i could see a system reserved partition which is quite normal.

Now i wanted to freshly install windows 10. So i booted up easeus partition master bootable media and deleted the old system reserved and C drive. I left the D drive and E drive alone.

Next, i installed windows 10 using a USB on the C drive. Everything went well and still all is fine however, the fresh install of windows 10 did not create a system reserved partition. It installed on the C drive only and the system works fine.

Just curious as to why the fresh installation did not create the system reserved partition? Also, should i be worried if it is not there?

There should be some purpose of the system reserved which is why it gets created in the first place.

Can someone explain as to why this happened?

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Just curious as to why the fresh installation did not create the system reserved partition? Also, should i be worried if it is not there?

That is normal please.

You should just have a small partition of about 500 MB reserved on your HDD, just for Windows 10 system files, are you sure you don't have this?

/EDIT

can you check in your disk management, if you have some form of reserved storage, normally 500 MB, but one can make this even smaller for a faster booting

2 minutes ago, cosy said:

That is normal please.

You should just have a small partition of about 500 MB reserved on your HDD, just for Windows 10 system files, are you sure you don't have this?

Yes i am sure. There is no system reserved. Checked in windows in built disk management console as well as easeus partition master screen.

Your Win10 install is likely running in Legacy (MBR) mode rather than UEFI mode.   Actually, I much prefer Legacy mode (unless your PC's drive is larger than 2TB) as it simplifies backup operations (compared to having to include UEFI's additional EFI/System and MSR partitions in a system backup)!

5 minutes ago, appzter said:

Your Win10 install is likely running in Legacy (MBR) mode rather than UEFI mode.   Actually, I much prefer Legacy mode (unless your PC's drive is larger than 2TB) as it simplifies backup operations (compared to having to include UEFI's additional EFI (System) and MSR partitions in a system backup)!

I don't have much idea about those. However, windows 8 was also running in the same machine. It had a system reserved. During installation of win 10, i just selected the c drive and installed. My computer has a BIOS so it should be in legacy mode only right?

Most, if not all PCs have a BIOS.  Before installing Win10 you must have been running Win 8.1 in GPT/UEFI mode.  When you performed a fresh Win 10 install it sounds like it installed in Legacy mode.  

Do this:   Press the keyboard's Windows and R hotkeys together and type msinfo32 in the Run box.  In the System Summary section, look at the BIOS mode value in the right pane. It can have the value 'Legacy' or 'UEFI'. 

28 minutes ago, appzter said:

Your Win10 install is likely running in Legacy (MBR) mode rather than UEFI mode.   Actually, I much prefer Legacy mode (unless your PC's drive is larger than 2TB) as it simplifies backup operations (compared to having to include UEFI's additional EFI/System and MSR partitions in a system backup)!

Either installation was performed through legacy or UEFI, a reserved system partition is created during the installation unless you prevent it from being created.

i think in his case, he created a new partition that used all unallocated space by using easeus partition master which made the partition active, that's why the reserved system partition wasn't created during the installation. If it's the case (waiting the screen that i asked above), he may have problems when upgrading to recent build so i think it would be wiser to reinstall win10 but this time just through the iso (you will be able remove the partitions and create a new one easily), no need to use a third party tool to remove the partitions. This way the system reserved should be created correctly.

2 hours ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Now i wanted to freshly install windows 10. So i booted up easeus partition master bootable media and deleted the old system reserved and C drive. I left the D drive and E drive alone.

Did you create a new partition on the space left by deleting the System Reserved and theh C drive?

Windows in MBR mode will work fine without the system reserved partition, the files and folders normally residing there are now on C :

Just now, mehdibleu said:

Go to "disk management" and post a screen so we can see how your hard disk was partitionned during the installation.

Screenshot (1).png

Just now, appzter said:

Most, if not all PCs have a BIOS.  Before installing Win10 you must have been running Win 8.1 in GPT/UEFI mode.  When you performed a fresh Win 10 install it sounds like it installed in Legacy mode.  

Do this:   Press the keyboard's Windows and R hotkeys together and type msinfo32 in the Run box.  In the System Summary section, look at the BIOS mode value in the right pane. It can have the value 'Legacy' or 'UEFI'. 

Its legacy

Screenshot (2).png

i think in his case, he created a new partition that used all unallocated space by using easeus partition master which made the partition active, that's why the reserved system partition wasn't created during the installation. If it's the case (waiting the screen that i asked above), he may have problems when upgrading to recent build so i think it would be wiser to reinstall win10 but this time just through the iso (you will be able remove the partitions and create a new one easily), no need to use a third party tool to remove the partitions. This way the system reserved should be created correctly.

Yes you are absolutely right. During windows 8 time, i was having a recovery partition, system reserved partition and c drive partition. All 3 were primary. Since i wanted to start fresh, i booted easeus patition master, deleted all 3, created a single C drive primary (without any OS ofcourse at that point). Boooted win 10 iso, chose C drive to install and completed the process. I thought system reserved would be created by default in such case. However, oi was not created.

I read that system reserved would be useful in case i would like to use bitlocker in C drive. However, as you said, if there is chances of problems in future too, i am worried should i install fresh? 

Just now, MrZeb said:

Did you create a new partition on the space left by deleting the System Reserved and theh C drive?

Windows in MBR mode will work fine without the system reserved partition, the files and folders normally residing there are now on C :

Yes i did that before installing win 10. Deleted all primary partitions and created a new C drive using easeus for all remaining unallocated spaces. I thought system reserved would be created automatically on installing win 10.

If Windows is installed in Unallocated Space you have the Reserved System Partition, which contains the boot files.
if it is installed on a pre-existing partition the boot files are written on the same partition

regards

41 minutes ago, neofita said:

If Windows is installed in Unallocated Space you have the Reserved System Partition, which contains the boot files.
if it is installed on a pre-existing partition the boot files are written on the same partition

regards

Ok i understood that part. 

So i should leave the system as such right? No need to do anything?

8 minutes ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

So i should leave the system as such right? No need to do anything?

yes sir

you may have some problems doing an upgrade, in which case you will have to do an installation from scratch

regards

25 minutes ago, neofita said:

yes sir

you may have some problems doing an upgrade, in which case you will have to do an installation from scratch

regards

Ok so how do i install windows again so that system reserved partition is created on its own?

I will fire up the iso, again point towards c drive. Will the system reserved be created this time or should i do something else? I don't want to mess with my D drive and E drive. 

6 minutes ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Ok so how do i install windows again so that system reserved partition is created on its own?

you need to boot from Windows ISO and delete partition C, so that you only have Unallocated Space on that disk, where you will install Windows

10 hours ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Yes you are absolutely right. During windows 8 time, i was having a recovery partition, system reserved partition and c drive partition. All 3 were primary. Since i wanted to start fresh, i booted easeus patition master, deleted all 3, created a single C drive primary (without any OS ofcourse at that point). Boooted win 10 iso, chose C drive to install and completed the process. I thought system reserved would be created by default in such case. However, oi was not created.

Okay, that's what i thought so now you have 2 choices, either you decide to keep the installation as it is and win10 sould work correctly but you could face problems during upgrade to new build later as i mentionned earlier or you decide to reinstall win10 which would be wiser without the need of using a third party tool to remove partitions, you wil be able to remove the partitions simply through the windows installer by booting with the win10 iso when arriving to partition window for the installation.

You remove the partitons, create the partiion where win10 will be installed and reserved partition will be created automatically after that.

31 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

Okay, that's what i thought so now you have 2 choices, either you decide to keep the installation as it is and win10 sould work correctly but you could face problems during upgrade to new build later as i mentionned earlier or you decide to reinstall win10 which would be wiser without the need of using a third party tool to remove partitions, you wil be able to remove the partitions simply through the windows installer by booting with the win10 iso when arriving to partition window for the installation.

You remove the partitons, create the partiion where win10 will be installed and reserved partition will be created automatically after that.

Yes i am thinking of installing fresh now. Thank you ☺️

11 minutes ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

Yes i am thinking of installing fresh now. Thank you ☺️

Just to be clear, you already did a fresh install when you installed win10 the first time but as i told you, creating a primary partition through a third party tool prevented the reserved partition to be created so this time you will not use any tool to remove and create partitons, you will just use win10 iso to do all this steps then when creating the partition where win10 will be installed, the reserved system partition will be automatically created.

Just to be clear, you already did a fresh install when you installed win10 the first time but as i told you, creating a primary partition through a third party tool prevented the reserved partition to be created so this time you will not use any tool to remove and create partitons, you will just use win10 iso to do all this steps then when creating the partition where win10 will be installed, the reserved system partition will be automatically created.

Yes sir. I understood my mistake. I will be careful now 😊

13 hours ago, ThE iNsAnE said:

I read that system reserved would be useful in case i would like to use bitlocker in C drive. However, as you said, if there is chances of problems in future too, i am worried should i install fresh? 

Yes i did that before installing win 10. Deleted all primary partitions and created a new C drive using easeus for all remaining unallocated spaces. I thought system reserved would be created automatically on installing win 10.

Yes the System Reserved partition is created automatically but only if you point the Windows installer to a free portion of the disk where it will create the needed partitions, if you select an existent partition it simply formats and use the already allocated space.

Archived