Spysweeper Beta 5

pyridox

Anyone successful using the updater v1.55? I looks like the Spysweeper program folder is locked read-only now. Can't seem to change that.

;)

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just tried. Update v.686 to v.689 no problem.

It worked 1 time for me, couple of days ago. When I tried to update it today, Spysweeper updater v1.55 failed.

masterripper

umm.... why are you guys using the updater which apparently seems to not even work anymore? why dont you just use the free serials you can get from the site?

umm.... why are you guys using the updater which apparently seems to not even work anymore? why dont you just use the free serials you can get from the site?

if they are using scotts updater they should not use the program updater in spy sweeper. if they do they could try updater remove the red bar or something. most likely they will have ot reinstall.

btw if you like the software support the company and buy it. you can get it in a combo for $9.99 (spy spysweeper and their firewall) or $39.99 for just the spysweeper

masterripper

if they are using scotts updater they should not use the program updater in spy sweeper. if they do they could try updater remove the red bar or something. most likely they will have ot reinstall.

btw if you like the software support the company and buy it. you can get it in a combo for $9.99 (spy spysweeper and their firewall) or $39.99 for just the spysweeper

;) im confused with what you said. all i was saying is that instead of trying to update the program by using scotts updater, all they got to do is goto the webroot website and get a "free" serial that is good for 1 whole year, then they will have the full version of spy sweeper by using a "legit" key, and they can update through the spy sweeper program, thats what i did and it works fine. ;)

;) im confused with what you said. all i was saying is that instead of trying to update the program by using scotts updater, all they got to do is goto the webroot website and get a "free" serial that is good for 1 whole year, then they will have the full version of spy sweeper by using a "legit" key, and they can update through the spy sweeper program, thats what i did and it works fine. ;)

so, how do you get the free key from the web site?

P.S. 300 posts, yay!

masterripper

ok, here is what you do if you want to get a "free" serial (i hope i dont get banned for posting this):

1) goto https://secure.webroot.com/register/softwareupdates.asp

2) goto where it says product and click the down arrow and select "Spy Sweeper (U.S Version)"

3) leave the language selection at english

4) in the last name field, put a common last name in there, if you need to, go ahead and visit this site to pick a common last name http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm (personally i picked johnson)

5) in the "Email Address used for original purchase" field, enter a email that consist of a common first name (such as john) and a well known email provider (such as hotmail.com) so in my case you would have [email protected]

6) in the field that says "Current Email Address (if different from above)" use YOUR real email address, this is where it will send the key to.

7) leave the last box empty

after you are done hit submit and you should get a message telling you it was successful blah blah blah and to check your email. if you get a message telling you "We can not locate your purchase in our database. Please submit a trouble ticket at our Support Center." then just go back and try a different last name or email, you may have to try a few different combinations before it works, but be patient and you will have a "legit key" in no time.

yeah you should edit and delete that

That's exactly what I did after installing SS. Disabled SS's auto update, used scotts updater to update signatures and removed the red bar option. Then just manually update using scotts updater every day or two.

Undefeated
ok, here is what you do if you want to get a "free" serial (i hope i dont get banned for posting this):

2) goto where it says product and click the down arrow and select "Spy Sweeper (U.S Version)"

4) in the last name field, put a common last name in there, if you need to, go ahead and visit this site to pick a common last name http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm (personally i picked johnson)

5) in the "Email Address used for original purchase" field, enter a email that consist of a common first name (such as john) and a well known email provider (such as hotmail.com) so in my case you would have [email protected]

6) in the field that says "Current Email Address (if different from above)" use YOUR real email address, this is where it will send the key to.

after you are done hit submit and you should get a message telling you it was successful blah blah blah and to check your email. if you get a message telling you "We can not locate your purchase in our database. Please submit a trouble ticket at our Support Center." then just go back and try a different last name or email, you may have to try a few different combinations before it works, but be patient and you will have a "legit key" in no time.

Why would you go through all that trouble when you can use Big Scott's updater? :lmao:

masterripper

Why would you go through all that trouble when you can use Big Scott's updater? :lmao:

because if you have to use the updater, then you risk it not working, which seems to be the case, if you do what i posted then you never have to do another thing for a whole year and you will have a "legitimately" activated Spy Sweeper, besides, it aint hard to do, and doesnt take long either, maybe like 10 seconds.

it is a beta people, it may be using different sigs specificly for testing purposes. so the updater might work with a little version update to the URL once v5.0 goes final :lmao:

• 4 months later...

I am using SS 5.0.7.1608 and when I run Scots updater(2.0.0. Beta 5000) the update icon is greyed out as is "update" in the File tree options. Removing the red expired bar works but no update. Any ideas guys. I have auto update unticked in SS.

did you click the 'kill spysweeper' button first? :frusty:

Just returned to tell you that I sussed it and indeed you are correct "Kill SS" did the trick. Initially I was a bit reluctant to click the Kill button as I had no idea what it might do. Updater is one very cool app, could hardly belive it when I saw the progress bar updating the ss defs. Thanks a lot. Also just discovered the SSUpdater forums today so I'll head on over there and register. All in all a good day. ;)

Archived