Port Forwarding issue

apcmiller

I've had some problems with my computer lately and this started happening very recently:

I have a Westell 327w router/modem and sometimes run uTorrent, emule, and klite to download things from the internet. As of yesterday the ports are no longer registering as forwarded for any of them. The router still says the ports are forwarded and I've already tried resetting the router and reentering the the forwarded ports. It would appear this is a windows problem but I have no clue how to fix it. HELP!

• Replies 9
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes when I get wierd networking stuff happening, I just shutdown my computer, router and modem for like 5 minutes and turn everything back on.. Fixes most of my issues..

tried the power down and up didnt work,

Dont have any "software" for the router just hardware and there was only ever one firmware release

if your talikng about the wireless card, I'll have to check, tomarrow, its late.

Is your computer setup for a dynamic IP or static IP? Check to make sure it's static because you could be forwarding the ports to the wrong IP if it's a dynamic IP.

Another thing, have you installed anything onto your computer lately that's security related like a firewall, antivirus, etc? If not setup properly these types of programs can sometimes interfer with P2P applications.

Also check and make sure Windows Firewall didn't turn back on unexpectedly, unless that's your firewall of choice.

• 8 months later...

can someone explain "port forwarding" to me ??

I've hear the term, but am not sure what it means. If you've got your PC setup in this manner, does it mean that your p2p DL's are faster ? ... or ? ...

th

anks everyonejava script:emoticon(':P', 'smid_6')

• 4 weeks later...

i dont have much expierence with wireless it seems to be alot more complicated have you tried setting it to DMZ mode thats what i usualy do for my games and ect my buffalo router has the same issues i just use a software firewall instead of the routers hardware one

• 6 months later...

Click start, run, then type cmd, hit enter. In the prompt type "ipconfig" and check the ip your router set for that computer, then make sure it matches what you set on the router. Sometimes your router will reset it when your computer is powered down awhile, or router was off for awhile. If you recently installed a new firewall, check to make sure the desired port is open. Also, recheck your p2p/bt software and make sure the correct port is entered.

• 1 month later...

Archived