Firewalls

Nemesis

I am currently looking for a new firewall, outpost takes up a lot of resources, and it bogs down my internet connection.

what is lite on resouces, and wont bog down my connection?

I realized I need a new one when I thought "geeze, my computer is responding a lot faster, and my bittorrent is at like 90kbps with one host, whats going on... oh wait, I shut down my firewall by accident.

P.S. even if it isnt on this site.

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Outpost until version 2.7, version 3.0 has bugs and its antispyware plugin is not really integrated into Outpost firewall. I encounter high CPU when I used bittorrent, even whit uTorrent.

In the version 3.5 the on the fly rule don't saved after reboot, so I had to make new rule everytime I start new program.

In those version I can't edit preset list coz it's encrypted, I hate it.

Now I use Jetico, small footprint and use less memory than Outpost, around 2 - 4 mb. It also has hips feature so don't need process guard. The downsides are popup rule and rule creation, kinda riot. Once you past them and set all rules set, jetico runs smooth.

Just google if you wanna give it a try, it's a free firewall.

I use Outpost until version 2.7, version 3.0 has bugs and its antispyware plugin is not really integrated into Outpost firewall. I encounter high CPU when I used bittorrent, even whit uTorrent.

In the version 3.5 the on the fly rule don't saved after reboot, so I had to make new rule everytime I start new program.

In those version I can't edit preset list coz it's encrypted, I hate it.

Now I use Jetico, small footprint and use less memory than Outpost, around 2 - 4 mb. It also has hips feature so don't need process guard. The downsides are popup rule and rule creation, kinda riot. Once you past them and set all rules set, jetico runs smooth.

Just google if you wanna give it a try, it's a free firewall.

thanks, that is kinda what I was looking for, I dont need any heavy duty firewall like outpost, and I dont want to use sygate because there wont be any updates for it.

EDIT: I found the installer for Kaspersky Internet security 6.0 and is seems to be working good, I am getting better download speeds than with outpost, less cpu usage too.

EDit 2: it blows ass! it constantly asks if firefox is ok to access the internet, and it didnt even detect Limewire, stick to the antivirus only!

EDit 2: it blows ass! it constantly asks if firefox is ok to access the internet, and it didnt even detect Limewire, stick to the antivirus only!

Is this while you were using Jetico or KIS? I haven't tried KIS yet.

If it happened with Jetico, the first pop up was application control. It asked you if the user allow Firefox to start (access the internet confused me the first time as well). Just choose OK to allow the application to start. The second pop up will come out ask user if the application is allowed to connecting to internet (some detail like site address, port, protocol, events etc...), choose from the scrool down menu: Web Browser.

It means Firefox acts based on rule set of Web Browser (you can edit web browser rule set by double click it or hit Enter)

Jetico detect LimeWire when user start it the first time, for internet connection and start downloading Jetico will detect Javaw.exe not LimeWire.exe. To be able downloading with LimeWire you have to make a new rule set for it.

Just like Lite said, if you like to learn rule creation just start from here ;)

Edit - just mention here if you need rule set for p2p application may be I can help

I tried Jetico Firewall, but although i chose firefox to act as a web browser, i couldn't connect to the internet in no way.Anyway, i will give it another try.

Also, i tried Look 'n' Stop 2.05, but in the Welcome screen, the "connected" checkbox is not checked. In the options menu i tried all my three network interfaces but it is still unchecked. Is there a solution?

Thanks and sorry for my English

I am currently looking for a new firewall, outpost takes up a lot of resources, and it bogs down my internet connection.

I realized I need a new one when I thought "geeze, my computer is responding a lot faster, and my bittorrent is at like 90kbps with one host, whats going on... oh wait, I shut down my firewall by accident.

Well, I like ZoneAlarm and ISS BlackICE. Kerio is very good as well... :lol: But remember, you will not find what you´re looking for if you don´t try your options. Make some tests by yourself and take a look on some specialized sites. A good one is www.firewallguide.com . Good luck on your choice. ;)

Well, I like ZoneAlarm and ISS BlackICE. Kerio is very good as well... :lol: But remember, you will not find what you´re looking for if you don´t try your options. Make some tests by yourself and take a look on some specialized sites. A good one is www.firewallguide.com . Good luck on your choice. ;)

and the winner is blackICE, I like that it detects your programs during the install

I tried Jetico Firewall, but although i chose firefox to act as a web browser, i couldn't connect to the internet in no way.Anyway, i will give it another try.

Also, i tried Look 'n' Stop 2.05, but in the Welcome screen, the "connected" checkbox is not checked. In the options menu i tried all my three network interfaces but it is still unchecked. Is there a solution?

Thanks and sorry for my English

Did you allow svchost.exe to access internet in the first instance? If you didn't there won't be any communication between your computer and internet.

Did you allow loopback? Some firewalls, for example Outpost (and many others), give user the option to block application. For example with Outpost user can place lsass.exe, csrss.exe into blocked zone but still internet connection will continue because that firewall allowing lsass.exe, csrss.exe to have net access (loopback) otherwise you won't be able to gain internet access.

For LnS firewall I can't help you, sorry. It's been almost 2 years not touched it. I hope some other member or mod iin this forum can help you.

Firstly thanks for your reply preso.

I allowed lsass, csrss, svchost and many others system applications to access the network but nothing happened. Even if i shutdown Jetico, i still cannot gain internet access. So i unistall it, i reboot my computer and ok.

I have done it four times. It's getting boring.

flik: Anytime.

If you installed and reboot 4 times and couldn't connect to internet, it means Jetico driver was not installed correctly or Jetico is not compatible with your OS. Jetico firewall compatible with almost all OS....98/ME/2000/NT/XP.

One more question. About looknstop, finally, in the welcome page the connected checkbox is ticked, but i get for ip 10.x.y.z

I am using adsl, but i was eexpecting sth like 62.121.**.**

Is it OK?

• Administrator

If you use a router, you can have a IP like 10.x.x.x. This is a LAN ip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andromedae

Don't use a software firewall, but I've had good experiences in the past with Outpost Firewall

Archived