Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode'

DKT27

• Administrator

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode'

2iqnyvl.png

Windows 7's so-called GodMode is actually a shortcut to accessing the operating system's various control settings.

Although it's name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

By creating a new folder in

Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although

some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic.

Source -

CNET

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Don't thank me thank CNET. :D Okay if you insist so much thank me. :lol: . Just jokin.

Even I was surprised when I saw this. It's very useful. I'll use it when I start using 7.

But the credit goes only to CNET. ;)

Works on mine(the oe I maintain actually still haven't upgraded..LOL).. nice for the USB as well when moving from system to system to have quick and easy access to system settings..

JessicaLeigh

I was hoping it would magically provide a link to a GUI Win7 sysprep application, but I guess I'm asking too much... :sadwalk:

Here's another easter egg you can try...

Go to the C:\Windows\Globalization directory, and add the following to the end of the full path in the location bar: \MCT ,then press the enter key.

• Administrator

Now I'm really exited. I really don't know how it looks. Can any Win7 user post a larger pic on it? :D

If you'd prefer GodMode pinned to your Taskbar instead of on your desktop, do this:

Start by making a folder named Taskbar Icons. Put it in you Program Files folder (or anywhere that's convenient). Make the folder for GodMode as instructed above, and put it in the Taskbar Icons folder that you just made (I use the Taskbar Icons folder for any programs I want to pin to the taskbar, like Recycle Bin). Right click on Taskbar and uncheck Lock The Taskbar. Right click on the Taskbar, Toolbars, New Toolbar, and choose the new Taskbar Icons folder (not the GodMode folder). Now, to clean it up, right click on the little separator to the left of your new toolbar and uncheck Show Text and Show Title. Right click again and View, check Large Icons. Now, grab the separator and drag it all the way to the left, next to the Start Menu Orb. Right click the Taskbar and check Lock The Taskbar. You now have GodMode in your Taskbar.

This works well for me as I don't use the desktop much, and the Taskbar is so much more convenient. Enjoy!

Now I'm really exited. I really don't know how it looks. Can any Win7 user post a larger pic on it? :D

I think I can grab one real quick.. BRB..LOL .. never say that on a forum..but it will be here..

EDIT: Okay back here are two I tried to get as much as I could in and I could not seem to get the images any smaller in size unless I resized, which would defeat the purpose. 1280 x 1024 I believe, a little larger with the shadow..

EDIT: Large image.. Reference any and all Control Panel Entries in one folder..LOL

I love it. Also no problem removing it when testing.

9rn4uf.jpg

Ps

That's Lite's face covered by an icon :lol: his nose was of importance to be displayed (as you can see).

Don't thank me thank CNET. :D

Well since we don't have a member here with this name, we can safely say he doesn't exist and therefore he didn't make the post...it was all you :evil:

Danké for the 411 :yes:

• Administrator

Thanx guys.

@Heath: First pic was enough. And was at right size. ;)

@jalaffa: :lmao: . I wonder if Lite tried it. :think:

@Marik: I think that I should change my username to CNET. :think: Nah they will sent me a copyright infringement email. :lol:

Hello.

A little tweak :

Windows 7's 'GodMode'

234-windows-godmode-window.png

windows_7_godmode_610x404.png

To use it:

1. Create a new folder.

2. GodMode windowRename the folder to

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

(note that you can change the “GodMode” text, but the following period and code number are essential).

3. The folder icon will change — double click it to show the GodMode window

234-windows-godmode-icon.png

Big Red Warning !

The trick appears to work on both the 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Vista 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 32-bit should also work. However, it is known to crash 64-bit versions of Vista — and you may need to boot in safe mode or to the command line to delete the folder.

More informations :

Link 1#

Link 2#

++

Meh it's from last week, didn't I post it here? Straaaannnggeeeee, might be my slow connection now..ISP is having trouble. -.-'

Well, this tweak is kinda shitty. It's the same Configuration page, but with all the tabs visible. It's all the same.

Don't really like it :P

Well...more of this......

Those intrigued by the "GodMode" in Windows 7 may be interested to know that there are many other similar shortcuts hidden within the operating system. Intended for developers as a shortcut to various internal settings, such features have been around since Vista and even before, according to the head of Microsoft's Windows division, who tells CNET that the so-called GodMode settings folder uncovered by bloggers is just one of many undocumented developer features included in Windows. In an e-mail interview, Steven Sinofsky, Windows division president, said several similar undocumented features provide direct access to all kinds of settings, from choosing a location to managing power settings to identifying biometric sensors. As with the all-encompassing GodMode uncovered by bloggers, these other settings can be accessed directly by creating a new folder with any name (GodMode or otherwise) and then including a certain text string. Sinofsky noted more than a dozen strings create particular settings folders, in addition to the overarching GodMode folder option. Sinofsky and others say the term GodMode was coined by bloggers; it was not something the company used internally to refer to the settings folders. Although Microsoft maintains many such undocumented developer commands to access such settings, all are replicated by the operating system's Control Panel settings. Such undocumented means of accessing various settings have occurred in previous versions of Windows, and the GodMode identified by bloggers was also present in Windows Vista. Some users of the 64-bit version of Vista, however, say invoking the GodMode folder caused their machines to crash. Microsoft says it has yet to reproduce that problem, though several readers have said they have encountered problems. It seems that the folks in Redmond have gotten a kick out of all the attention that the Godmode has gotten and have decided to have fun with it. Sinofsky sent a list of other commands that also create special folders (see list below). Given the Vista issues, though, I would try these only on a Windows 7 machine, ideally a test machine. To make it work, create a new folder with any name, then a period, then one of the text strings below. For example, the first one could be a folder named "thankscnet.{00C6D95F-329C-409a-81D7-C46C66EA7F33}" (use everything inside quotes--but not the quotes themselves). Here's the list of strings: {00C6D95F-329C-409a-81D7-C46C66EA7F33} {0142e4d0-fb7a-11dc-ba4a-000ffe7ab428} {025A5937-A6BE-4686-A844-36FE4BEC8B6D} {05d7b0f4-2121-4eff-bf6b-ed3f69b894d9} {1206F5F1-0569-412C-8FEC-3204630DFB70} {15eae92e-f17a-4431-9f28-805e482dafd4} {17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} {1D2680C9-0E2A-469d-B787-065558BC7D43} {1FA9085F-25A2-489B-85D4-86326EEDCD87} {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} {241D7C96-F8BF-4F85-B01F-E2B043341A4B} {4026492F-2F69-46B8-B9BF-5654FC07E423} {62D8ED13-C9D0-4CE8-A914-47DD628FB1B0} {78F3955E-3B90-4184-BD14-5397C15F1EFC} And, as a reminder, to create the Godmode folder itself, use this string: {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
From Cnet

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

After so many months of posting it. Today I actually got chance to use this trick. :P

LOL.. more like the 'I am too lazy and not fluent enough with Windows 7 to find these settings on their own - Mode'.. LOL

EDIT: but don't get me wrong though.. it is handy in some ways.. Its just that after using it.. I found I spent more time trying to find the items that way because there were so many.. Timing it.. I had already found it simply usually the Control Panel.. got o the settings and had time to change apply and hit okay .. like twice... in the same amount of time it took for me to find it and do the same thing with God-Mode.. which technically makes no sense.. but it is the sheer number of items present ... even finding the category..

Archived