which SSD is the best supportive for replacing old hhd in core i5 laptop

jzfareed

hi everyone

i am new to the forum and don't know much about IT/Computers. i have a basic question i.e. which brand's SSD drive is best for replacing an old hhd in core i5 3230m CPU 2.6 ghz with 8gb ram.

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jzfareed said:

i am new to the forum

No kidding ;) It kinda shows. This is the member introduction section and not for asking things.

@jzfareed  Nowadays, there is basically no difference, put what you like or what meets your needs.
If you had asked this question 10 years ago, there were big differences and then the SSD-s were expensive and so on. Of course, you could consider/check whether your computer allows you to use SATAIII or you need to be happy with the SATAII capabilities. The difference is in the read/write (R/W) speed.
That is, if your computer is an older type, it is 99.9% likely that you can only use the SATAII settings and then you will not need to buy the most expensive SSDs because you cannot use the so-called maximum speed.
With SATAII, you get a Read/Write speed of about 270-300 MB/s and there is no way to get faster. SATAIII provides several times higher speed. It is the difference between old computers and new computers. So, if You want to get more speed, must buy new computer and if possible with new type NVMe SSD, they are very small and very fast.

I forgot one small thing - check the one recommended by your computer manufacturer and also check if there is/exist firmware what is compatible with Your computer and with this SSD drive what You want to buy. It is not mandatory, but if exist, is good.

AlienForce1

Welcome to the forum ! 

The first thing , before I can suggest you an upgrade , we have to know if it`s a laptop or a desktop :

- If you have a laptop with i5 3230m CPU 2.6 ghz with 8gb ram , then most likely you can`t do more than changing your HDD with a 2.5" SSD SATA III  .

- If it`s  a desktop , then you should search on your motherboard`s support page what type of SSD it supports . Again , we are talking about a old configuration / motherboard and I don`t think it supports NVME , maximum SATA III or M.2 SSD . 

As Kalju said before , a BIOS upgrade can be useful and  can add more compatibility .

Update : now , with delay , I saw that you did mention that you have a laptop ...

I was able to install a Samsung SSD Evo 860 to my very old Sabertooth x58 (2011) motherboard with a i7 960. As you can see, my hardware is  older than yours.

The only problem you could have (like mine) is having to use Marvells 91xx controller. It simply isn't fully compatible with SSD technology. By this I mean that I have the full read speeds but not the write speeds.

With Marvell91xx controllers write speed is no better than a regular sata HDD.

a BIOS upgrade can be useful and  can add more compatibility

Not if he is stuck with Marvell controllers. It has nothing to do with Bios. I updated to the latest firmware and it didn't change anything. Not that it would since the last bios update for my MB is from 2012!

Best price/quality 2.5 inch SSD is the Crucial MX500, it is as fast as the Samsung 860 EVO, but better priced.

All you need is a SATA port connected to your chipset and it doesn't matter if the SATA is SATA 150/300/600.

3 hours ago, lurch234 said:

very old Sabertooth x58 (2011) motherboard

Using this motherboard too. SSDs were first connected to the marvell controller, but moved to the intel one. Might get some differences with the benchmarks but not so obvious in everyday usage.

LeetPirate
8 hours ago, jzfareed said:

hi everyone

i am new to the forum and don't know much about IT/Computers. i have a basic question i.e. which brand's SSD drive is best for replacing an old hhd in core i5 3230m CPU 2.6 ghz with 8gb ram.

Welcome. I also recommend Crucial MX500, high compatibility, and probably the best performance and reliability for the price.

4 hours ago, mp68terr said:

SSDs were first connected to the marvell controller, but moved to the intel one.

Tried that too. Unfortunately my intel controllers only support the  sata 2 connections on my MB. Sata 3 connections  are governed by Marvell <_<

The performance wasn't better than my 7200 rpm WD CB HDD

1 hour ago, lurch234 said:

Tried that too. Unfortunately my intel controllers only support the  sata 2 connections on my MB. Sata 3 connections  are governed by Marvell <_<

The performance wasn't better than my 7200 rpm WD CB HDD

Here I agree with you, and perhaps only add that there is no reason to believe that Marwell is anything that is actually good already by nature. The measurements do not confirm this at all.

Always use SATA ports attached to your chipset for SSD and optical drives.

Because most of the addon SATA chips doesn't support trim for SSD and/or ATAPI commands for optical drives like a DVDRW drive.

Also the addon SATA chip may be SATA 600, using the SATA 300 port will be faster with an SSD because of the internal working of the addon SATA chip.

Also, SSD are fast because of the very low acces time, the higher bandwith is not so important to boot Windows and software.

A Dutch Hardware site (Hardware.info) did a test with a Samsung SATA 600 SSD and a Samsung PCI-E SSD and they compared the time to boot up Windows, some game titels and some software titels.

An both had the same startup time.

Higher bandwith is only usefull if you read or write very large files.

2 hours ago, Ragdd said:

using the SATA 300 port will be faster with an SSD because of the internal working of the addon SATA chip.

What!?! Are you serious!?!

By default Sata 300 has a maximun speed of 3 Gbit/s!! No amount of "internal working" , whatever that is, will get you more even with an SSD.

And I can speak by experience as well as with knowledge!

BTW, we don't say Sata 300. It's Sata 2 (or revision 2). If you want to use 300 than you say it like this Serial ata-300.

Shouldn't be giving out advice if you can't even use the right terminology...

You go and educate yourself a bit here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_revision_2.0_(3_Gbit/s,_300_MB/s,_Serial_ATA-300)

@jzfareed 

Suggestion to the author. Perhaps it would be wise to correct the title. 

Then the future readers will better understand what the topic is talking about.

11 hours ago, lurch234 said:

Look at this, because of the internal workings, the Marvell SATA 600 can't handle the SSD speeds and will slow down.

Source:

https://archive.techplayboy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=7

Computers speeds on paper tell you nothing, it's real life speeds that you have to look at.

What!?! Are you serious!?!

By default Sata 300 has a maximun speed of 3 Gbit/s!! No amount of "internal working" , whatever that is, will get you more even with an SSD.

And I can speak by experience as well as with knowledge!

BTW, we don't say Sata 300. It's Sata 2 (or revision 2). If you want to use 300 than you say it like this Serial ata-300.

Shouldn't be giving out advice if you can't even use the right terminology...

You go and educate yourself a bit here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_revision_2.0_(3_Gbit/s,_300_MB/s,_Serial_ATA-300)

4 hours ago, Ragdd said:

Look at this, because of the internal workings, the Marvell SATA 600 can't handle the SSD speeds and will slow down.

Source:

Old news!

Have you bothered to read all my posts here? I already knew that. You haven't brought anything new or useful here.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've used Silicon Power 128GB SSD (A55), Kingston A400 and Sandisk 120GB. These are on the cheap ends of the SSD but to be honest, on daily home usage, I havent had any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

As Alking said kingston is cheaper with other brands but i guess the longevity is quite short western digital green is a good choice (just not for heavy gaming) i've tried it for around 2 years and still in good shape and 100% health in hdsentinel 

Archived