P2PNet sued for libel

apcmiller

p2pnet goes on hold ...

Hi everyone:

I'm being sued for libel and consequently, there'll be no postings for a few days while I try to get the situation sorted out.

As I've posted a number of times, p2pnet is a non-entrepreneurial, not-for-profit site based in Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. It started out as a personal page and although the ads now pay my way and support the site, they do so only with the barest of margins and I'm not living in the lap of luxury, or even able to put anything in the bank. I say this not because I want anyone to feel sorry for me. p2pnet is a commitment and I'm tremendously proud to have been able to stand up strongly for principles I, and others, believe in.

I hope I've come up with a workable solution and I'll keep you posted as things progress. Meanwhile, if you're a Canadian lawyer who may be willing to represent me pro bono, please contact me at [email protected].

Cheers! And thanks. And as usual, all the best ...

(Sunday 14th May 2006)

P2Pnet News

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
p2pnet.net libel case

p2p news / p2pnet:

On this libel lawsuit, I'm not being coy by keeping my mouth shut. As I just told Tim Richardson over at The Register:

While I search for someone to act for me (ie, pro bono publico), I can say this: I'm being sued principally as a publisher, not for something I wrote.

This represents online freedom of speech in its purest sense and my natural inclination is to go into detail in public.

But this isn't about what's right or wrong. It's about the law, and that's a very different bag. Handsomely paid lawyer's pleading against handsomely paid lawyers to other handsomely paid lawyers. The defendants and/or plaintiffs are almost incidental.

And at this point, I'm getting nowhere with finding legal help here in Canada.

In the meanwhile, I'll be doing posts as and when I can, in between trying to find a way to deal with this, or have it dealt with, in a fair and reasonable way.

This is David and Goliath all over again and funnily enough, I just had a call from Patti Santangelo. We were comparing notes and the way it's going, I may soon have to try and start a defence fund for myself.

So if there are any rich people out there who'd be interested in giving me a hand .......

In other words, there's no a gag order - I'm silent because I haven't been able to take any action on my own behalf yet.

And the case is hugely ironic, as you'll discover when some of the details emerge.

And be sure of this - If I lose it'll set precident, in Canada at least, and online freedom of speech will become a genuine travesty.

Finally, I'm getting a little tired of the nasty emails, etc. Leave it out, OK? You guys aren't doing anyone any good by slinging mud. We need to be in lock-step, not dancing separate, pointless jigs.

Cheers! And definitely stay tuned.

Jon

(And not at all incidentally, thanks for all the good wish emails ......)

P2PNet News

p2pnet.net Sued for Libel

After its launch in July of 2002, p2pnet.net quickly became an important source of information for many members of the file-sharing and P2P community. Jon Newton, Editor, owner and lead writer of p2pnet.net, created a niche in the file-sharing world known for its considerably pro-P2P stance and condemnation of the entertainment industry.

By November 2004, p2pnet.net was a highly ranked alternative file-sharing news site. Second only to then news prolific P2Pforums.com, p2pnet.net was considered a must visit site by tens of thousands of visitors per day. Jon Newton distinguished himself as a hard worker, often producing on the upwards of eight articles per day.

Today however marks a turning point in p2pnet.net�s history, as Jon Newton announced he is being sued for libel.

�I'm being sued for libel and consequently, there'll be no postings for a few days while I try to get the situation sorted out.

�As I've posted a number of times, p2pnet is a non-entrepreneurial, not-for-profit site based in Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. It started out as a personal page and although the ads now pay my way and support the site, they do so only with the barest of margins and I'm not living in the lap of luxury, or even able to put anything in the bank. I say this not because I want anyone to feel sorry for me. p2pnet is a commitment and I'm tremendously proud to have been able to stand up strongly for principles I, and others, believe in.�

Canadian libel law is more similar to English law, which gives more leverage to plaintiffs than defendants in such cases. While in the United States three very difficult standards need to be met in order to successfully prosecute someone for libel, the Canadian law states, �Defamatory words in a newspaper or in a broadcast shall be deemed to be published and to constitute libel.� In other words, if an individual publishes a narrative that damages the reputation of an individual or entity, he or she could potentially be sued.

The exact details of this case are currently unknown. According to p2pnet.net�s staff, Editor Jon Newton is under a self-imposed gag order and has provided no additional information.

Slyck News

Archived