Req help with configuring uTorrent client settings

JessicaLeigh

JessicaLeigh

Hi everyone,

I've scoured the forum here, but was unable to find the information I've been looking for. I decided to nix BitComet and begin using the latest uTorrent client, instead. I've heard such great things about it's superiority to all other BT clients, However, the default settings seem to make the file downloads take FOREVER.as compared to BitComet. In my attempt to overcome pangs to revert back to using BC, is there a how-to for configuring uTorrent to ensure for the fastest download speeds? I realize the number of seeders have much to do with the length of time it takes files to download, but still; I get the feeling that my lack of knowledge on the technology also plays a heavy hand in as to why an extremely popular 700mb xvid file is taking 2 ½ days to finish. Thanks in advance. :)

• Replies 11
  • Views 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I would surly link you to this thread.

But before you do somethin. Tell me have you done port forwarding? And what is your speed at normal http downloads?

Apart from port forwarding (might sound bit much- its not!) "there " is also simple fix for XP floating about for two click setting.

Would be good to know weather for ie your Internet Provider does bootleneck'ing business as different P2P protocol trafic being treated differently...

The thread DKT pointed out includes some more 'advanced' settings that you might not want to mess around with.

I don't know what exactly you're looking to setup so I'll provide some basic info:

Connection Setup Guide (Very basic)

Using ESS? Check here. (This will only disable the scanning of incoming bytes and bits, when the files are finished they will be scanned)

Are you using WinXP? If so you should patch your tcpip.sys file, I'll explain if you use XP ;)

• Administrator

I think shought has pointed the right way. I don't know why I failed to post that link. :doh:

You can also see uTorrents FAQ. It will give all the info you need. :)

JessicaLeigh

Wow! Thank you all so much...

I see that the "listening" port is set at a random 5-numbered port. Not sure if that's what you mean by port-forwarding.

Here are the results:

Speed Test #84458937 by dslreports.com

Run: 2010-01-02 20:52:32 EST

Download: 172 (Kbps)

Upload: 93 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 20.9 down 11.3 up

Boost: 180

Latency: 49 ms

Tested by server: 4 flash

User: anonymous

I better get busy on those links. Thanks again!

What your bandwidth? (the figure advertised by your ISP, it's always in Kbps, not KB/s)

Here's some useful settings for µTorrent:

2pzxlzr.jpg

Port used for incoming connections

- can be set to any 5 digit number.

- don't forget to set in the firewall or router.

dzgkm1.jpg

Maximum upload rate (kB/s)

- Link

Maximum download rate (kB/s)

- absolutely do not set to 0, set it to 95% of your max download speed.

- you can check your download speed here: Link

Global maximum number of connections

- this setting is directly proportional to Maximum number of connected peers per torrent and the number of torrents you download.

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent * number of torrents downloaded = Global maximum number of connections

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent

- I got this tip from TorrentFreak.

upload speed * 1.3

- if you have a max upload speed of 40 kB/s

40 * 1.3 = 52

2r7mr05.jpg

- ignore my name on the picture :lol:

- it's very much WYSIWYG.

Actually edited because I recant.. I may not even know what I am talking about. I hate trying to keep up with all of the changes in the versions..

• Administrator

The torrentfreak Bizarre is talkin about. I've uploaded a whole pdf that was made by them if you want, you can download it from here -

Download Torrents Faster - Beginners Guide by TorrentFreak

Site: http://www.mediafire.com
Sharecode: /?yj2htmmwjyt

No need to sharecode but I love sharecodin links. ;)

Archived