cant get rid of powershell 1.0

Propel

im tryn to install windows vista business on my dell inspiron 6400 which has xp --- sp3 on it rite now, but when vista checks the compatibility it says i needa uninstall windows powershell 1.0 to continue with the installation.

here's what i've tried:

1. I went through the registry and deleted keys related to windows powershell.

2. I found the spuninstall for powershell in teh windows folder but im not sure if thats the rite one cuz it told me its uninstalling windows xp so i was lik wtf?

3. I tried looking for a download link to windows powershell 1.0 installer but it got taken off microsoft and i cant find anywhere else with it.

4. I tried installing powershell 2 but it told me i needed to install this other component (which i tried but it said the program i tried to update did not match or anything).

5. I tried to look for powershell on the control panel with 'show updates' tickd but it wasnt there

6. I lookd for XP SP3 on the control panel to uninstall the service pack and then get rid of powershell after, but i cant find sp3 on teh the control panel either

any ideas to how i can get powershell off the comp?

thanks

how to get rid of it:

dkt: copy the folder %windir%\$NTUninstallKB926139$\ (or %windir%\$NTUninstallKB926139-v2$\ lik heath said) from another copy of xp with powershell on it and replace urs with it. then go bak to tht folder on ur comp and run spuninst.exe from the spuninst folder adn itll b done in likk 10secs

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion is to go here.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926139 .. the installers and everything are there.. and there are also all of the notations you need to understand what your doing.. However the thing is that when you start to uninstall .. it says Uninstlling Windows.. is normal when it is a part of your Service Pack.. so be sure to follow the guidelines for uninstalling when you have upgraded with a Service Pack.

Loked like you were headed down the right path but pulled back at the last moment..

Run the following highlighted command to kiss 'Powershell' good-bye:-

%windir%\\$NtUninstallKB926139$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

If you'd like to do it without making smooching sounds:-

%windir%\\$NtUninstallKB926139$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /passive

Run the following highlighted command to kiss 'Powershell' good-bye:-

%windir%\\$NtUninstallKB926139$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

If you'd like to do it without making smooching sounds:-

%windir%\\$NtUninstallKB926139$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /passive

dcs: thx, but i would if i HAD the spuninst folder in there

heath: yea i tried to run teh spuninst from %windir%\$hf_mig$\KB926141 but it gasve me an error saying invalid handle or something lik tht. i ran tht one cuz i didnt hav a spuninst folder in my $NTUninstallKB926139$

o and for some reason i hasv 2 powershells installde? theres 2 on the controll panel. 1 in jjust powershell 1.0 and then other is powershell 1.0 MUI

well all the other comps at mmy place are vista already so eyah. would it b ok if anyone could upload their folder in lik a rar or something and send it to me through rapidshare or something?

Well small problem.. what have is called ... $NtUninstallKB926139-v2$ .. and if its on the Control Panel now.. then why don't you just uninstall it? I also suggest that you go to the link that I provide and do the download and also.. run it.. should clean up any thing that is broken .. or mis-installed.. w/e.. Helped me before with Windows related issues..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0A162694-4D9D-4676-8283-1BA674374D71&displaylang=en

i hav it on the control panel but theres no remove button lik the otehrs. and for ur link i dled it and ran it, but it says i need a product code and if i hit nay key, it exits =/

Are your windows not Genuine? You seem to have quite a few issues with it.. In which case I would suggest juts moving your Stuff with Macrium Reflect.. free.. and wiping your drive.. then installing Windows 7.. ( better than Vista anyway ).. oo and wait.. not problem with removing the powershell or anything else!!!

• Administrator

Well even I want to get rid of this powershell thingy. It was installed with windows update a few months ago. But I don't know what the hell it does or is for? :s

Powershell.. is the new CMD Prompt.. I have used it several times myself for various things..I think i the simplest of explanations.. I think it has a few new extra things.. not for sure .. but I am almost positive that you can find better documentation at Microsoft about it..

BTW.. have you went to Microsoft Update and checked for all Custom Updates?.. There may be something there that will upgrade it to the current version.. which may fix it.. Then you may be able to uninstall/remove it..

lol i managed to get rid of it by copying the kb folder from another xp and hten running spuninst.exe from the spuninst folder.

dkt: copy the folder %windir%\$NTUninstallKB926139$\ (or %windir%\$NTUninstallKB926139-v2$\ lik heath said) from another copy of xp with powershell on it and replace urs with it. then go bak to tht folder on ur comp and run spuninst.exe from the spuninst folder adn itll b done in likk 10secs

thx for the help guys

Archived