CPU overclock and PES 2010

mara-

Hi guys,

My motherboard has EPU-6 engine which allows me to overclock my CPU from Windows. I overclocked it by 10% (from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz - you can see my specs in my signature). Then I played a few matches of PES 2010 with my brother. Speed of the game was increased. All players were moving faster, everything was faster. Now, how can I know if this is normal? I mean, according to Konami my computer meets recommended requirements, but did I got the real speed of the game by this overclock or this is some glitch in the game?

Cheers ;)

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't think it's a glitch in the game. It's that your computer meets the requirements set by the developers to run the game. That is minimum or recommended. Now it depends how much more fast is your computer in addition to the requirements set by them, to run it more smoothly. ;)

CPU isn't everything.. DirectX as well.. I used to play WipeoutXL on a computer which had an older GPU which is only capable of version 6 at most ( 32 MB ).. when I installed on a system with almost the same CPU power .. RAM.. with a 64 MB video and DirectX 9 capable but only partially.. the game would run so fast it was impossible to even use anymore.. ( I really miss that game ) so upgrading DirectX could be a part of that as well.. if that was done.. However .. if your system has been operating slower for some reason.. and one component or another because of the numbers.. were creating a bottleneck of some sort.. or taking away from what you have...Then it would seem logical that increasing the processing power if even for a little bit.. may allow it to run faster..

Sometimes slight differences in speed won't even be noticed at first.. but when you play on some real hardware you notice.. big time whats different.. Other things can effect it is my point anyway...even if you have the minimum requirements.. I have seen countless programs requiring more GPU than what I have.. still run the program just fine.. and others which state that I don't even need what I have to run it.. not even operate correctly and crash...( might have even been other processes that could be interfering with it having the available resources at hand )

Just a guess anyway..

• Administrator

(off topic)You know what heath. Few years ago, I used to play a game that was in some another languaged fonts. I didn't understand what it was written there. The only thing I understood was I playin it for hours. Now that you've mentioned WipeoutXL, it ringed my mind.I search and found the game I used to like was one of the Wipeout games. I really really thank you for mentionin it. I just love the game. Now I can get it in eng lang. :)

LOL.. Have to get a controller for it too.. I would beat the game and do it again and again.. I love the Pirahna ship.. and Quirex.. two favs..LOL

OK, but it seems that if I overclock more then game is even more faster. It seems that overclocking through Windows is not very good. On tests in Everest, I see improvement, but strange things happens with other things. For example, 720p movie was not playing good with 2.6 speed (yes I increased even more) but it was fine when I restored to 2.2. This is really strange. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers ;)

Could be too much for other areas of the system.. OR maybe like you said, the overclocking is not as good as it should be .. maybe something is being left unaccounted for.. unless something was optimized for the specific timings/hardware...when it is/was installed... Maybe even your driver parameters.. for one area or another..

What program are you using to overclock?

• Administrator

As long as I know, overclockin is never good. Whether from windows or from somewhere else. Unless you have a CPU that can auto clock itself like turbo boost in i5 and i7.

I'm using program which I got with my motherboard - Asus P5QC. Program is called EPU-6 Engine. I know overclock is not good, but with proper cooling you can go with it safely. I'm currently doing HD movie conversion which is very CPU intensive. Processor is overclocked from 2.2 to 2.6 and temperature is 55 C. CPU usage in task manager is 100%. And while conversion is in progress I can use Firefox and some other applications. I only noticed big change in PES 2010. Maybe it has problem with reading proper CPU speed when overclocked. Maybe it's still reading old speed even if overclocked. And I need to do more testing with movies.

Cheers ;)

As long as I know, overclockin is never good.

That is incorrect. Overclocking will only do harm, if one doesn't know how to do it properly.

Here's a good guide on how to properly overclock: Link

• Administrator

Thanx for the tut link Biz.

Well I don't know if it will reduce the life of the CPU.

Archived