help regarding oxford advanced learners dictionary 9th edition installation

vefiyo

28 minutes ago, vefiyo said:

where did you get your Alcohol 120%.

mine is not working.

If there are other ways to install oald9 successfully, plz let your friends in this forum know.

I downloaded a clean retail .exe setup, and used the old msimg32.dll medicine from 2015, and it still works. But that doesn't matter in this case, as I didn't use Alcohol.

Follow my instructions, I opened the disk image using Windows Explorer and installed it that way. Based on my test, the oald9.exe works, and you don't need Alcohol at all.

1 minute ago, vefiyo said:

what is the version of your windows, i have window 10 1909 pro.

Windows 10 Enterprise, build 1909.

yes enterprise has strong security features and other hidden features we may not know.

Edited by vefiyo

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tona2005 said:

It would be great to have no-DVD patched @_@.

I posted a link in this topic to a patched .exe that works on my system. You can try it and see if it works for you.

Thank you for your help, but I am afraid that the approach is not stable. I have tried with W10 build 2004 x64, also tested under VMs with vMotion for sure. But "Original disc could not be found or authenticated." is noticed. Also tried with some uninstaller tool to remove and try again several times.

• 1 month later...

@vefiyo @Alanon Still not working for me. Neither the new image provided by Alanon neither the one in the original thread. Tried Daemon Tools Advanced, Alochol 120% and everything else! Nothing working.

The original .mds file, required for verification, is corrupt as per Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and Poweriso.

Please suggest what you guys did or what I may be doing wrong?
Windows 10 x64 1909.

Sorry, Windows 10 x64 2004

3 hours ago, Ha91 said:

@vefiyo @Alanon Still not working for me. Neither the new image provided by Alanon neither the one in the original thread. Tried Daemon Tools Advanced, Alochol 120% and everything else! Nothing working.

The original .mds file, required for verification, is corrupt as per Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and Poweriso.

Please suggest what you guys did or what I may be doing wrong?
Windows 10 x64 1909.

Sorry, Windows 10 x64 2004

You don't need any of that, I posted mu exact steps on the previous page. I took the .mds file that I linked and renamed the .mds extension to .iso, then opened the .iso image through Windows Explorer. I did not use any emulation software for this particular install, just Windows 10 x64 (whatever the latest build was at the time). The install worked, and the crack I posted earlier also worked for me. Nothing else, no special software was used for this install and no further steps were required.

If you replicate my steps exactly (and you should easily be able to do it, it's quite simple), I see no reason why it shouldn't work. We're all running the same OS and using the exact same resources. If, however, it still doesn't work for you, there's no reason not to try out GoldenDict - the OALD9 for it has the same dictionary content, minus the DRM and the native interface.

@Alanon From where did you download the retail and .dll? Can you share the msimg32.dll file that you are talking about?

I tried your steps earlier, but failed!
I deleted all files and uninstalled the program. Downloading the .iso file and I shall try your steps again.

19 minutes ago, Ha91 said:

@Alanon From where did you download the retail and .dll? Can you share the msimg32.dll file that you are talking about?

I tried your steps earlier, but failed!
I deleted all files and uninstalled the program. Downloading the .iso file and I shall try your steps again.

I'm really not sure what's going on. You're not the only one reporting that it didn't work, but there's truly nothing special about my system. It's an ordinary machine that doesn't have a tonne of software, and I didn't use any software in the case that I outlined. That alone should have minimised issues, but instead seems to have multiplied them.

Anyway, here's the last Alcohol retail that I have, with the same old meds from 2015. As far as I know, it's been the same since 2015, and it still works. Remember to replace the .dll file, and to also delete the star_syn_client.dll file from the install directory. The first 5 seconds or so after starting it the about window might say UNREGISTERED, but that will change quickly, so no need to fret if you happen to see that.

Site: https://www.upload.ee
Sharecode: /files/12021879/Alcohol_120.rar.html

image.png.cf82a2326aa775038d70e4677c8d7d00.png

Still getting this error. replaced your .dll file and installed and mounted using your provided Alcohol120%.

PS: Unable to mount as ISCI as other people mentioned, but there is no option in the sofrware.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ha91 said:

Still getting this error. replaced your .dll file and installed and mounted using your provided Alcohol120%.

PS: Unable to mount as ISCI as other people mentioned, but there is no option in the sofrware.

Did you retry installing it as an .iso through Windows Explorer?

ISCI doesn't always work (I think there's some driver incompatibility with Windows 10 or something). The option is there in the program, it only disappears when it doesn't work. 

Yes, I did and still not help. I also used the iso you provided, but still no resolution.

I had PowerISO and Daemon Tool Pro installed on my machine, but it's not a problem.

The problem with the original files is that Mds (smaller/verification) file is corrupt and stated as such by Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools Pro 

Just  thought of letting you know the entire thing so you can pin-point the error.
Can you share the MDS file (smaller file) if you still have it and it worked in your case?

20 hours ago, Ha91 said:

Yes, I did and still not help. I also used the iso you provided, but still no resolution.

I had PowerISO and Daemon Tool Pro installed on my machine, but it's not a problem.

The problem with the original files is that Mds (smaller/verification) file is corrupt and stated as such by Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools Pro

Interesting. I never used that verification file so I wouldn't know anything about that. I only used the full disc image and then pasted the medicine that I uploaded. I didn't do anything to try and circumvent the original disc protections, Windows Explorer opening .iso files doesn't have that capability, as far as I'm aware? Nothing, except using the oald9.exe after installation, that is.

I don't know if having additional software installed could have some effect? I did have Alcohol 120% installed at that time, no Daemon Tools or PowerISO, but it shouldn't have made any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, Ha91 said:

@nOkialpha I'll use that later and let you know,.

@Alanon So far nothing has worked for me 😢 

To be honest at this point I would just consider using GoldenDict. The official DVD version isn't worth the hassle you're going through. Hell, the installation worked perfectly for me, and I still don't use that version.

image.thumb.png.d39220db42b481385b9fc99f07f1e645.png

I am getting this error now. Previously I used to get that the mds file is inaccessible or corrupt. Despite message, it's an error and one where the image is not mounted as evident in the detail view for F drive!

Any tips?

Thanks a lot guys! error solved now!

After doing everything correct multiple times, this time I did not have my mds file in the same folder as mdf and I figured it out!

The main error causing this is the spci is disabled or problematic in Windows 10 and we have to go the registry and enable it. I can share the file here if you guys want.

So here are the new steps:

Download all files

keep mds and mdf file in the same folder

install using the mdf (or rename it to iso) file first and following installation, just double click on the mds file and the file shall be mounted.

Paste the OAL9.exe file in the installation folder.

Run the software.

Voila! You should be done :D High Five Major League Baseball GIF by MLB

• 2 years later...
On 5/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, Alanon said:

@nOkialpha @vefiyo

Well, I couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right, so I tried it for myself. Don't know what to tell you guys. Works perfectly for me. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded an image file from here.

2. Renamed the .mdf to .iso, and opened through Windows Explorer.

3. Ran setup as Admin.

4. Before running anything, I replaced the original .exe with the one I provided.

5. Ejected disk.

6. It works.

As you can hopefully see from my screenshot, nothing is mounted, and yet the dictionary is running. I do have Alcohol 120% on my system, but it wasn't used for this install. It could be that the disc image itself was modified, but I doubt it.

2020-05-14_12-19-31.png

Hi Alanon,

Could you please again post a download link for the ".exe" file (Patch/Medicine) so that I can have it? I hope your way is still working now. All your links for the patch/medicine in your posts have been expired.