Canonical launches Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ‘Focal Fossa'

Karlston

Canonical launches Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ‘Focal Fossa'

The Ubuntu 20.04 desktop

Canonical has announced the availability of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ‘Focal Fossa’. According to the firm, this update has a particular emphasis on security and performance. The new update uses the GNOME 3.36 desktop environment which includes a new lock screen, and there’s also an option to switch to dark mode in the Appearance tab in the settings.

In its statement, the firm said the WireGuard VPN client is installed by default and will be backported to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Commenting on the software’s inclusion in the popular Linux distribution, Jason A. Donenfeld, creator of WireGuard, said:

“Including WireGuard by default in all recent versions of Ubuntu means that users will finally have a great out-of-the-box secure tunnel on Ubuntu.”

Accompanying the new dark theme and lock screen is a refreshed Yaru theme which includes a great looking icon set. As with all Ubuntu updates, Focal Fossa comes with its own unique wallpaper and a collection of alternative backgrounds to choose from. If you hated the Amazon button which graced the sidebar after installation on previous releases, you’ll be relieved to know that the new version doesn’t ship with it.

Another subtle but big change is that the Ubuntu Software tool has been replaced with the Snap Store. The icon and name of the store remain the same so it’s an easy change to miss. This change will allow users to more easily manage snap apps without having to dip into the command line. Canonical said that there are now 6,000 snap apps including Slack, Plex, Spotify, the entire JetBrains portfolio, and Visual Studio Code.

Returning to security features, this update includes Secure Boot to protect against low-level attacks and rootkits and introduces Fast ID Online (FIDO) support for universal multi-factor and passwordless authentication.

Ubuntu 20.04 is a Long Term Support release, therefore, it will continue to be updated by Canonical until 2025, by which time, two new Long Term Support releases will have been made available. Head on over to the Ubuntu website now to download the new update or find upgrade instructions.

Source: Canonical launches Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ‘Focal Fossa'  (Neowin)

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wont have  most  the bugs  worked out tell  20.04.1  some is saying copy and paste  is broken and other bugs

Ksnip Screenshot

I  hate Vanilla  Ubuntu  ,Gnome  and i also hated  Unity because  that crap  is more like Apple Mac I started out on Cinnamon Linux Mint because  at the time in 2015  you couldn't  move the task bar down to the bottom  like on windows  that i had used  all the time since 2001  . I tired most all DE in 2016  and other distros  and once  Budgie became a official flavor i switch to it  custom install  all my software  i installed myself . I use a different dock  and everything  . And i move task bar down to the bottom and switch every around to the i wanted  it.   That was Apr 2018  before that i was ruining  interim releases because 18.04  was  Budgie 1st LTS  . So i'm in no hurry to upgrade  Id have clean install every Windows 8.1  and Ubuntu  . I've been using 18.04  for years so why would  i want install a version that still  buggy ?

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

It wont have  most  the bugs  worked out tell  20.04.1  some is saying copy and paste  is broken and other bugs

There's an old IT rule... avoid dot-zero versions (the initial major release). Sounds like it's good advice here.

42 minutes ago, Karlston said:

There's an old IT rule... avoid dot-zero versions (the initial major release). Sounds like it's good advice here.

I got a few other  PCs here  i could  slap  it on  just   the thing is i cant use but one PC at  a time   it a lot of work  for nothing  that why they  never  put .0 versions on LTS Updates  if you want them to upgrade  the  kernel  if you start on .0 your going have turn on hwe in terminal  latter on . But if  you want stay  with the old kernel for 3 to 5 years  version  0 is the one too start on just because gnome has bugs don't mean they all will.  I ran Interim  releases for like 2 years  and it never bothered  me but  they had bugs that i fixed  myself . same as when i 1st  started using Windows 7 before SP1  came out  i  installed lots of hot-fixes that all SP1 was  all the  hotfixes  in one big update .

Windows 8.1  is the most stable version of Windows they ever was . It took years  for them to  get Windows XP stable  it  was a long time after SP3 before  it became sold  because every time they release a SP they caused more bugs from hardening security . Windows 7 SP1 and (Windows 8.1 it was a SP)  were good updates but that not the case with Windows XP or Windows 10 . Many People stay on SP 2 as long as they could i didn't i went right to SP3   lol.  And Windows 10 been one bug after  the other  every since 2015 .

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

Windows 8.1  is the most stable version of Windows they ever was .

Amen brother. MS will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. :)

Archived