Need advice

sanjoa

Hi, guys! How you doin'? I'd like to connect my mother's computer with mine to share internet connection and a printer. My mom's computer is approximately 12,20-15,00 meters from mine. What kind of network connection may I use? Wireless or cable network?

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use both. If you only need it for printer and internet connection sharing I would go with Wireless. You'll avoid the trouble of moving cables through your home. If you need it for some higher speed transfer for files or something go with cable.

Cheers ;)

my friend, (he repairs and sells computers and accesories), said me that Wireless connection disconnects everytime. and cable network cant' be longer than 3 meters between computers or it may cause interferences.

my friend, (he repairs and sells computers and accesories), said me that Wireless connection disconnects everytime. and cable network cant' be longer than 3 meters between computers or it may cause interferences.

Cable network can be higher than the 3 meters of your friend. Mine is 25 meters and it is working perfectly.

The cable is shielded, the signals transported are low voltage so there is no interferences. :P

Your friend is 100% wrong. I have a 50-foot (15-metre) cable and it has been working great for years. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for gigabit Ethernet over copper wiring.

Each 1000BASE-T network segment can be a maximum length of 100 meters (328 feet), and must utilize Category 5 cable at a minimum. Category 5e cable or Category 6 cable may also be used.

Maybe your friend uses really cheap cables?

And my wireless connection to my notebook PC is through 802.11n wireless and it's 100% reliable.

Haha, your friend is really funny. I connected with my cousin with cable which is 50 meters long and works like a charm. Cable goes over the house so it's outside and no any interference. I have this more then 6 months. I also have wireless in my house. Works just fine.

Cheers ;)

What everyone is saying here is correct.. HOWEVER.. when you get instructions from your ISP .. they usually say that it is advisable not to run a Category 5 ( RJ45 ) connection for more than 3-5 feet alongside any other wiring. Like power supply lines.. anything of the sort.. They do state that it could interfere with the 'continuity' of the connection.. However you can run RJ45 for hundreds of feet.. take a look at a Corporate network hub sometime.. and tell me where all that RJ45 runs to.. and how far away.. They also advise to use the DSL filters.. for the phone line.. not everyone does that either.. and some home connection boxes have a loop connection which can add hundreds of feet of loop length in your connection before it ever gets to you.. ( My telephone guy was more than helpful.. :thumbsup: )

The easiest way for you to do it would be to use ICS and allow your other's system to connect through your wireless. using the your Lan ( RJ45 for your connection.. to a router or cable modem ) .. Thats provided that both have wireless.. and you can use ad-hoc.. If they were Vista and up OSes then I think you could direct connect them... But true that a more stable connection and even alienated without having to allow access to either can be maintained by using RJ45 to connect her system directly to the router or cable modem..

Archived