RSS Reader QuiteRSS 0.19.4 out with Media-RSS support

Karlston

RSS Reader QuiteRSS 0.19.4 out with Media-RSS support

QuiteRSS 0.19.4 is the latest version of the desktop RSS feed reader for Windows. The new version introduces support for Media-RSS, new sharing options, engine upgrades, and several fixes.

It is no secret that I prefer desktop feed readers over browser-based, cloud-based or application-based ones. I have used numerous programs in the past -- e.g. RSSOwlFeedDemon, or Feedreader -- to keep up to date with new posts and announcements on sites and services that support RSS.

Years ago, I discovered QuiteRSS for Windows and have used the RSS feed reader ever since as it offered all the functionality that I needed in a reader. Some users may dislike the fact that it does not support Sync out of the box but I never found this to be a problem.

QuiteRSS 0.19.4

quiterss 0.19.4

QuiteRSS development picked up pace in recent time again. The new version that was released on April 20, 2020 introduces support for Media-RSS among other things. Media-RSS, as the name implies, is an RSS module designed to improve the inclusion of multimedia content in RSS feeds.

RSS supports enclosing media by default by providing a path, MIME type and size of the file. Media-RSS extends this by allowing publishers to add more information to the enclosed media such as the medium, title, a description, or thumbnail.

What else is new? It is now possible to share to contacts on Viber and Telegram, and to switch the focus from search when pressing ESC. The engine was updated to Qt 5.13.2, directories are hidden when searching in feeds, and headline news are locked while scrolling.

The developers have fixed a crash of the application and fixed high DPI support. Other fixes include a fix for the empty directory creation issue on the 😄 drive, dark style improvements, and feed updating fixes.

Existing users may update using built-in update functionality. It is also possible to download the installer or portable version from the developer website and use it instead. Data is preserved during upgrades but it is still recommended to export the feed list using the Menu option to have a backup at hand should things go wrong.

Tip: check out my list of 8 tips to improve RSS feed reading in QuiteRSS.

Landing Page: https://quiterss.org/en

Source: RSS Reader QuiteRSS 0.19.4 out with Media-RSS support (gHacks - Martin Brinkmann)

• Views 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived