Star Trek: Voyager receives a 4K remaster courtesy of an AI-based software

Karlston

Star Trek: Voyager receives a 4K remaster courtesy of an AI-based software

1585544380_q7phkbb.jpg

Image via Imgur

Originally released in 1995, Star Trek: Voyager, has now received a third-party 4K remaster. A Redditer (u/theboomsterz) who goes by the name of Billy Richard on YouTube has used a video AI program from Topaz Labs to remaster five episodes of the show thus far. Here's a short clip of the resultant video taken from the Season 6, Episode 4, Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy.

The video was remastered to 4K from a DVD source using Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs, and the episode above had three complete runs with the software. It is a time-consuming and expensive process, with Richard claiming that it took him around six hours to process the work from start to finish.

As stated before, five episodes have been remastered as of now, but only short clips have been uploaded for viewership on YouTube. But Richard intends on saving up for upgrading from his current trial version of Gigapixel and subsequently making more episodes in the future. While the link to download or view full episodes has not been given, nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how CBS and Paramount respond to this.

Source: Reddit

Source: Star Trek: Voyager receives a 4K remaster courtesy of an AI-based software  (Neowin)

• Replies 4
  • Views 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah2

I wonder how many times it will take for people to be told the human eye cant see in 4k, before it will finally sink in...

But until then the psychology that TV makers and studios use to convince people ts a real thing is fun to watch for the sane people

Throw a larger number at people and they will convince themselves they can see in more detail than they can....

Its been proven many times that well over 90% of people cannot tell the difference in blind tests between DVD and HDTV

In reality if people sat down and thought about this rationally they would realised they were being gamed because otherwise TV manufacturers and studios would be out of jobs

When i was growing up, you had a TV for years and years and years, and thats the way, once were were at HD level things should have continued....save yourself a tonne of money every x years when some new TV fad comes along. I still have my 32" non-smart Samsung here, no intention of getting a new TV till this dies...

Added info to consider, the population fo the world is aging, and so its double bullpoo because eyesight is declining...

But if this guy wants to waste his lifecycles upscaling to a res you cant see, then thats his choice...i have better things to do

indeed.

FullHD is just a little above all the human eye can perceive...

movies / series (entertainment branch in general) in 4k is just marketing, its a waste of time, money, storage space...

for surveillance resolution is never enough... 😜

8 hours ago, stylemessiah2 said:

I wonder how many times it will take for people to be told the human eye cant see in 4k, before it will finally sink in...

But it's not just about resolution, is it? Imagine making an enormous 4K screen and stand immediately in front of it and you should make out individual pixels easily.

A better measure of eye limits than resolution would be dpi (dots per inch) or ppi (pixels per inch).

As long as screen sizes increase hand-in-hand with resolution increases and combined with viewing distance we should still find them within the eye's limits.

2 hours ago, berdi said:

for surveillance resolution is never enough

Nah, just deploy the technology that turns a single pixel into a crystal clear number plate or a face with individual pores discernible. Just click the Enhance button, seen it done many times in movies and TV shows. :P

1 hour ago, Karlston said:

But it's not just about resolution, is it? Imagine making an enormous 4K screen and stand immediately in front of it and you should make out individual pixels easily.

A better measure of eye limits than resolution would be dpi (dots per inch) or ppi (pixels per inch).

As long as screen sizes increase hand-in-hand with resolution increases and combined with viewing distance we should still find them within the eye's limits.

Nah, just deploy the technology that turns a single pixel into a crystal clear number plate or a face with individual pores discernible. Just click the Enhance button, seen it done many times in movies and TV shows. :P

sorry, forgot to thank for the first post.

anyways, i hope to see a blu-ray release of voyager and other DV recorded series eventually thanks to that kind of tech.

Archived