Is a warm PC case normal when gaming?

insanedown58

insanedown58

I've never had a "proper" gaming PC so I'm not sure if all the heat I'm getting from my current build is normal. It's a Core i5-3470 paired with an Asus RX 570. Core Temp tells me my CPU maxes out at 71 degrees Celsius under full load while GPU Temp tells me my GPU is at 68 at full load. My case is warm to the touch on both sides. It's a cheap "office PC" kind of case with one side panel fan serving as the intake. I don't hear my heatsink fan ramping up (it's a Deepcool heatsink) and I'm not getting any slowdowns in-game but I'm just concerned that the heat might damage my components. I should probably point out that it also gets quite hot where I live as it is summer, getting as high as 35 degrees Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon.

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say 71c is quite hot and above recommended high temp. My pc runs around 25c most of the time and maxs out at about 47c.  Constant running at that temp is not good.

insanedown58
9 minutes ago, csmdew said:

I would say 71c is quite hot and above recommended high temp. My pc runs around 25c most of the time and maxs out at about 47c.  Constant running at that temp is not good.

May I ask what your cooling setup is and the temperature in where you live? I've tried to do some reading and I've read that as long as it's below 85 degrees celsius, it's okay but I do see that t-junction of my CPU is 67.4 according to Intel's website. I'm currently running on one side-panel fan as intake and only have a rear port left for another 120mm fan. I'm looking to another fan in as well once the whole coronavirus situation eases up.

The proper measure of how good (or bad) CPU/GPU are cooled is not the actual temps. It’s how close to Ambient (room) temperature they are.

Your CPU is 36oC above your room temp (71 - 35). Seems too high, even under load.

Usual things, check/clean fans, grills, and dust filters, add that case fan, reseat cooler (as a last resort).  Replacing fans with higher airflow ones may help, similarly a better case.

If you can remove a case side, see how that affects the temp difference.

6 hours ago, insanedown58 said:

Core Temp tells me my CPU maxes out at 71 degrees Celsius under full load while GPU Temp tells me my GPU is at 68 at full load.

no worries m8, I have an older gaming rig and my temps are a little hire than yours under full load as you say. I have never had issues. 

N.B - on your rig I would recommend NOT to use anything like utilities that disable core parking or ones that O/C your system or GPU. If you are using a "normal" configuration your PC should manage the temps appropriately by increasing fan speeds and throttling back CPU/cores. If your PC does not manage the tempos well then you should have noticed it shutting down during high loads. My advice is you are OK unless you are doing any of the aforementioned configurations on your system. :)

Is a warm PC case normal when gaming?

Yes

• Administrator

Yes it's normal. Also, you can go even higher without any problems. But it's not recommended. Make sure there is good ventilation and fans are working properly. Some cases are notorious for having bad design and hence cause problems. The highly sold cases too sometimes are badly designed but as they are famous people think they are best out there.

GPU temp at full load is acceptable. But your CPU temp is hot. And it's normal if everything sits inside an office case. You would need a mid or full ATX tower to put some fans in there and change the stock CPU cooler.

My old i7 960 never goes beyond 60C at full load. And to get it at full load I need to fool around with video conversions.

In the end though, your CPUs life shouldn't be adversely affected by that temp according to what I've been reading.

insanedown58

Some updates, I did try running it without the side panel on and I saw no difference in temperatures at all. Also tried reapplying thermal paste on the CPU and nothing changed as well. Not sure if this is worth anything but when I used the stock Intel cooler, it would usually go up to 80C under full load, that's why I opted for a third-party one (Deepcool Ice Edge Mini). Also, task manager reports it going up to 3.9GHz despite being labeled to go only up to 3.6GHz

11 hours ago, insanedown58 said:

I don't hear my heatsink fan ramping up

Oh, sorry. You already have a cooler. Go in bios and check you cooler fan settings. If its set to quiet than it wont perform to its full potential.

Btw, I went to see on youtube what your cooler looks like. If the interior of your PC looks anything like that than you will have heat problems.

There's no problem at all if your pc is quiet enough to not disturb you, your wife, children, dog, cat or any other living creature living next to you. Secondary noise could be more tricky to tolerate. 🤓

insanedown58

Update: So I tried pushing through with gaming with it and all was well until I turned the settings for Black Mesa up. Apparently the 70c was from the CPU not even trying to run but when its power was called upon, the thing went high into the 90c territory. Because of that I did more research and found out after being told to tweak the fan curve that the fan doesn't spin up as high as needed to keep the thing cool. Tweaking the curve very very slightly made it run at 70 max even under true full load.

Archived