AV-Test.Org Real world malware test

someone

During the last three months, our lab has been working on exhaustive testing to answer the question how effective Internet Security Suites are performing in the "real world". To confront today's threats, the products utilize many different protection layers, such as URL filtering, web reputation services, exploit blocking, "in-the-cloud" scanning as well as behavior-based protection mechanisms. All these layers were carefully tested, featuring both "static" and "dynamic" detection mechanisms. In total, we have performed 600 tests using active malware and 400 tests using clean files for all of the 12 products in this review -- that's 12,000 test cases! The results can be found in various publications, e.g. CHIP (Germany), PC Magazine and Dark Reading.

link at PC Magazine:

http://anonymz.com/?http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/12/av-testorg_releases_real-world.php

Here are the full results:

MALWARE DETECTION RATES AND WARNING MESSAGES (FALSE ALARMS)

Tested Product Malware Detected False Alarms

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 98.0% almost none

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 97.5% few

PC Tools Internet Security 2010 95.8% almost none

AVG Internet Security 9.0 92.2% few

G Data Internet Security 2010 90.0% many

Panda Internet Security 2010 90.0% almost none

Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0 87.7% many

McAfee Internet Security 2010 87.2% few

CA Internet Security 2010 86.7% few

F-Secure Internet Security 2010 85.8% almost none

BitDefender Internet Security 2010 84.3% few

Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 83.3% few

MALWARE BLOCKING RATES AND WARNING MESSAGES (FALSE ALARMS)

Tested Product Malware Blocked False Alarms

PC Tools Internet Security 2010 94.8% none

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 92.8% none

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 89.8% few

Panda Internet Security 2010 88.7% none

Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0 87.2% none

McAfee Internet Security 2010 86.7% none

AVG Internet Security 9.0 84.2% few

G Data Internet Security 2010 83.0% few

Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 81.3% few

F-Secure Internet Security 2010 80.2% none

BitDefender Internet Security 2010 77.8% none

CA Internet Security 2010 73.5% none

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanx for the post.

Useless if I don't see ESET and MalwareBytes' Anti Malware bein considered here. :huh:

Thanx for the post.

Useless if I don't see ESET and MalwareBytes' Anti Malware bein considered here. :huh:

True. Why ESET SS is not tested?

MalwareBytes is because is only "Internet Security Suites".

@someone

great post, thanks bro........Norton ATW :dance2:

• Administrator

They are bein biased, that's why ESET wasn't tested. -_-

SO I guess we are bragging about who can detect the most false positives now..LOL :lmao:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ... nice one bro!

Kind of wondering why ESET wasn't tested?

I thought it was obvious, they already know ESET is 100% the best so they didn't bother to test it again. :smartass:

Looks like PC Tools AV would be a good free AV to suggest to people. They seem to be coming along nicely.

• 2 months later...

I thought it was obvious, they already know ESET is 100% the best so they didn't bother to test it again. :smartass:

Looks like PC Tools AV would be a good free AV to suggest to people. They seem to be coming along nicely.

I had to resinstall Windows 7 because Webroot (Double Antispy) conflicted with Eset Nod Antivirus.

Eset is awesome. It is when Webroot is on your system or Doublespy you are screwed. I could no longer access the internet except in safe mode and I couldn't uninstall anything.

Malwarebytes doesn't catch anything, so I am not sure what good it is, but at lest you don't have to reinstall.

Microsoft was on my computer for 3 hours trying to figure out how to fix the conflict between Eset and Double Spy (which is a combo of Webroot and PC Tools).

What a nightmare that was. At least I figured out how to install Windows 7. Boy is that is easy.

What I am looking for is a better antispyware program because the antispy that comes with Outpost Firewall and Eset I don't think are much good.

I've never seen Malwarebytes block anything.

Sl@pSh0ck™

I had to resinstall Windows 7 because Webroot (Double Antispy) conflicted with Eset Nod Antivirus.

Eset is awesome. It is when Webroot is on your system or Doublespy you are screwed. I could no longer access the internet except in safe mode and I couldn't uninstall anything.

Malwarebytes doesn't catch anything, so I am not sure what good it is, but at lest you don't have to reinstall.

Microsoft was on my computer for 3 hours trying to figure out how to fix the conflict between Eset and Double Spy (which is a combo of Webroot and PC Tools).

What a nightmare that was. At least I figured out how to install Windows 7. Boy is that is easy.

What I am looking for is a better antispyware program because the antispy that comes with Outpost Firewall and Eset I don't think are much good.

I've never seen Malwarebytes block anything.

If malwarebytes don't block anything that doesn't mean it's not effective (what is there to block if you don't have any malware at all?) ......in any case if your looking for other antispyware program ... you can try Superantispyware ;)

Archived