AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 and radeon software and driver versions do not match

TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar

[How do you figure out where to post this kind of stuff?]

I was troubleshooting by updating the driver for the above. I used Device Manager to do this. I guess we all should rely on the manufacturer's web site to avoid this? Now for my troubles, I get "radeon software and driver versions do not match". I searched around, but some of the results seem extreme. This is the PC. I thought maybe someone here could advise me before I do something that may make things worse?

• Replies 16
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheEmpathicEar
1 minute ago, Mach1 said:

Always use manufacturers web site is your safest option IMO..

Have you tried these?

Obtaining Graphics Drivers Using the AMD Driver Auto-Detect Tool

How to Find the Latest Compatible Drivers for an AMD Graphics Products

Thx! But, at the moment, I just need to figure out how to launch the Radeon Software w/o getting that error message? You would think the software would offer some other option instead of crapping out?

1 minute ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

Thx! But, at the moment, I just need to figure out how to launch the Radeon Software w/o getting that error message? You would think the software would offer some other option instead of crapping out?

Have you tried rolling back to previous version?

If that doesn't work uninstall it completely and start over is my best advice good luck.

TheEmpathicEar
1 minute ago, Mach1 said:

Have you tried rolling back to previous version?

If that doesn't work uninstall it completely and start over is my best advice good luck.

Yeh, when I was searching around, rolling back the driver did not work. Uninstalling the software did not work either. That's what I meant in the OP about "extreme" when it came to doing anything.

6 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

rolling back the driver did not work. Uninstalling the software did not work either

Wow you have a problem indeed and guessing you have tried installing the latest version from AMD web site ??

Reformatting is the Extreme measure required here perhaps sorry I've no other advice.  

TheEmpathicEar

[I missed something...] This worked in the sense that I can now run the Radeon Software w/o getting that useless message. It makes me wonder why Windows upgraded the display adapter if the software did not recognize it? i.e. Maybe it's not an AMD official driver

44 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

Maybe it's not an AMD official driver

Good to hear your fixed mate Manufactured Drivers is far less troublesome than those from third parties.

When you uninstalled the driver from device manager..did you also select the box to "Delete the driver software from device" then maybe you can install the driver from manufacturers site??

TheEmpathicEar
12 hours ago, Mach1 said:

Good to hear your fixed mate Manufactured Drivers is far less troublesome than those from third parties.

11 hours ago, uffbros said:

When you uninstalled the driver from device manager..did you also select the box to "Delete the driver software from device" then maybe you can install the driver from manufacturers site??

Device Manager>Display Adapters>[Select your adapter]>Right-click for Properties Sheet>Click on Driver Tab>Click on Update Driver is how I did it. No deleting. The question is where these drivers are coming from? Windows Update? Something else? And, why would they not match the version/date from the manufacturer's web site? 

Do not ever use device manager for ANY drivers. ALWAYS get drivers from the manufacturers page.

1) Run DDU and choose safe mode. PC will reboot & auto re-launch the app. Proceed to uninstall after selecting GPU for device type and then AMD in the other drop down menu.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

2) Once your PC reboots, install the correct driver package directly from AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

TheEmpathicEar
17 minutes ago, spudboy said:

Do not ever use device manager for ANY drivers. ALWAYS get drivers from the manufacturers page.

1) Run DDU as admin then choose safe mode. PC will reboot & auto re-launch the app. Proceed to uninstall with the AMD option.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

2) Then install the correct driver package directly from AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

What does #1 do exactly? For #2, there are two entries under Windows 10 x64 Radeon Software. Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL) [which I have installed]. There is another entry: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.3.1 Optional. I am guessing the optional driver is what Windows installed via Device Manager [it is more update-to-date, but again optional]. And, the Radeon Software is still at version v20.2.2. This is probably why I got the error message.

4 hours ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

What does #1 do exactly? For #2, there are two entries under Windows 10 x64 Radeon Software. Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL) [which I have installed]. There is another entry: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.3.1 Optional. I am guessing the optional driver is what Windows installed via Device Manager [it is more update-to-date, but again optional]. And, the Radeon Software is still at version v20.2.2. This is probably why I got the error message.

#1 correctly and completely cleans your system of GPU drivers and leftover registry garbage. For #2, the release notes on that page tell you what is different. I personally go for the latest. And Windows probably installed neither of the two, but rather a version older than both. I'd still recommend a complete clean with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and a fresh install of 20.3.1. I would also enable to option in DDU to not let Windows automatically download/install drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
TheEmpathicEar
On 3/27/2020 at 4:57 PM, spudboy said:

#1 correctly and completely cleans your system of GPU drivers and leftover registry garbage. For #2, the release notes on that page tell you what is different. I personally go for the latest. And Windows probably installed neither of the two, but rather a version older than both. I'd still recommend a complete clean with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and a fresh install of 20.3.1. I would also enable to option in DDU to not let Windows automatically download/install drivers.

[got around to taking another look at this] I was reading the guide which states "I recommend you select the C:\NVIDIA and C:\AMD folders" [in my case, AMD]. But, the graphic below this reads "NOT recommended"?

On 4/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, TheEmpathicEar said:

[got around to taking another look at this] I was reading the guide which states "I recommend you select the C:\NVIDIA and C:\AMD folders" [in my case, AMD]. But, the graphic below this reads "NOT recommended"?

Don't worry about the "not recommended". I asked about that once but don't remember the answer. I've been selecting that option since I first started using DDU and have had no problems. It just deletes all of the older driver files/folders from those locations.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, TheEmpathicEar said:

It is much better to delete old possibly corrupted files/folders...

Archived